That's a very good point. Using such vague descriptors is definitely not helping with confidence in the industry at the moment. I feel there is a need for the industry to spend some real effort learning how to be more open and informative using the most appropriate language without letting off too much unnecessary detail about an incident. It is also not just about what you say, but doing it consistently and making information available as soon as is practicable (which applies equally to internal communication such as Tyrell).
People appreciate some context of the situation they find themselves in so a little detail goes a long way (even if sometimes such detail provide no additional useful information to an industry outsider, eg. "a fault with the doors" as opposed to "a train fault", not necessarily technical jargon). It can be as simple as one or two sentences. It projects the image of a company being frank, and leaves a much better impression. In some cases it may not be possible to do so, but if the industry can start doing this where possible then I am sure most of the customers would not mind the small number of occasions when no further details can be provided, if informed as such.
This is exactly my view. I'm just a passenger, but "operating incident" sounds like it is trying to hide information. I don't want excessive detail, I want a reason - "problem with the doors" - simple and factual. "Signal failure" - simple and factual". "Train has passed a signal at danger - the reason is being investigated" - simple and factual, "Problem with a passenger on a train ahead" - simple and factual. "There has been a safety system activation. It might be a false alarm, but obviously we have to be certain before we can proceed." - simple an factual. "There is a bit of metal making a lot of noise underneath Coach C. We're waiting for a fitter to come from Swindon to investigate." (I heard this one years ago on a Paddington-bound HST that had stopped at West Drayton) - simple and factual.
If you don't know the reason, be honest and say that. If your company just tells you that the delay is due to an operating incident, say something like "All I'm being told is that it's an operating incident, unfortunately I don't have more detail." If the information you are told changes, be honest and say that - "I apologise for the continuing delay to this service. I'm now told that this is due to a passenger requiring medical attention on a train ahead, rather than a problem with the train itself. I'm sorry for any confusion, but I can only pass on what control are telling me".
If someone complains about the reason changing, then just reiterate that last bit and make it clear you are just passing on information rather than making it up. If someone asks what safety system was involved then you can say to them it's the "train protection warning system" and leave it up to them to google that if they want. If the problem isn't on your train you could just say that control didn't specify.
Basically, if you sound like you're being honest and not trying to hide something then you'll get a much better reaction than if you don't, and to many people "operation incident" sounds like you are tying to hide something - even if you're not.
That link isn't working
