No - way back in the 1960sCuisine 2000?
No - way back in the 1960sCuisine 2000?
Hope it was more successfulNo - way back in the 1960s
On hindsight it wasn’t a great idea to rip the shops out of the Voyagers as during periods of reduced staffing First Class customers could at least get some complimentary refreshments from there.By Birmingham I was flagging so asked if I could have a drink, he asked to see my ticket and then told me he could only give me a 330ml bottle of water. I wasn’t feeling great by the time I got to Leeds.
Which BR routes did tray meals feature on?No - way back in the 1960s
My only recollection of them is on railtours, but they were provided by British Rail Catering (pre-Travellers Fare) so may have had wider circulation.Which BR routes did tray meals feature on?
Thanks. Checked out some old timetables. The tray meals were advertised for parties (only) travelling on services with no restaurant or buffet car.My only recollection of them is on railtours, but they were provided by British Rail Catering (pre-Travellers Fare) so may have had wider circulation.
Two varieties - chicken and ham, with various sides - served in a compartmented tray.
Priced around 10/- (50p), which wasn't particularly cheap then.
Not a delivery but I do this with Rannoch Station Tearoom about once a year on the sleeper. Message them on Facebook a few days beforehand, leap out at Rannoch and swap cash for nice coffee and a veggie sausage sandwichIt has been done, but seems to be unusual enough to be news :
![]()
Cafe delivers bacon rolls to group onboard Mallaig to Glasgow train
An award-winning roadside eatery made a special delivery of breakfast rolls to a hungry group - onboard on a ScotRail train.www.heraldscotland.com
Exeter-Waterloo?Which is the longest scheduled journey that doesn't have catering? There are obviously routes like Cambridge - Brighton which aren't designed for end-to-end travel, but I'm thinking routes where passengers would take most of the journey?
Handy if you have drains that need unblocking.A can of wine sounds awful.
This seems to be one route where a trolley could make a profit due to most stations west of Salisbury have no or little catering facilities. However this would require it to be consistent enough that passengers knew they could rely on it.Exeter-Waterloo?
SWR withdrew all remaining catering during 2020.Exeter-Waterloo?
Yes unfortunately as I always used to buy a tea and a Kit Kat on the early morning Weymouth WaterlooSWR withdrew all remaining catering during 2020.
Every Glasgow/Edinburgh to Inverness starting its journey between 8am and 5pm has catering. On some journeys it only covers Perth to Inverness. Those are the hours mandated by Transport ScotlandI'd start with Edinburgh to Inverness then, only a couple of trains on that route have catering. Pretty shoddy for a 3.5 to 4 hour journey.
That's not what the Scotrail website says. On Mondays to Saturdays only the 0838 from Edinburgh has catering, although it is better from Glasgow with the 0707, 1007, 1207, and 1507 having catering. As you say, nothing after 5pm, so the peak time 1733 from Edinburgh has nothing.Every Glasgow/Edinburgh to Inverness starting its journey between 8am and 5pm has catering.
Both the 1032 and 1332 from Edinburgh have catering from Perth. The 1633 LNER also has catering. The 4 services you listed from Glasgow are all the direct services during that 8-5 window. That means all the trains in the 8-5 window have (with the 0707 an extra one to provide catering on the return).That's not what the Scotrail website says. On Mondays to Saturdays only the 0838 from Edinburgh has catering, although it is better from Glasgow with the 0707, 1007, 1207, and 1507 having catering. As you say, nothing after 5pm, so the peak time 1733 from Edinburgh has nothing.
![]()
That’s already gone. Only catering is on Voyager services.I've heard muttering of Crosscountry removing catering on all Turbostar routes. Not sure how true that is but if so Nottingham to Cardiff will be a fairly long journey without a trolley
I don't think this is true. I can't think of anyone (except for Europeans) that would rather pay £3 for filter coffee than £1.50 for instant coffee.Instant won't sell. People want quality espresso based coffees now.
I don't think this is true. I can't think of anyone (except for Europeans) that would rather pay £3 for filter coffee than £1.50 for instant coffee.
Can’t go wrong with the 99p filter coffee served in Pret although I notice it’s £1.20 at railway stations. Even then you can take another 50p off both if using your own mug.Filter coffee isn't "quality espresso based coffee", much as I quite like it. Lattes, cappuccinos and flat whites are what I'm talking about.
When I used this service in 2019, the trolley only appeared from Salisbury and Waterloo.This seems to be one route where a trolley could make a profit due to most stations west of Salisbury have no or little catering facilities. However this would require it to be consistent enough that passengers knew they could rely on it.
When did the catering stop on Cork to Dublin? I seen a trolley back in the summer.In Dáil Éireann one TD brought it up about catering in long distance Iárnrod Éirrann services the other week and Transport for Ireland said that they have tried to source a new catering provider for InterCity and Commuter services, yet the subsidy isn't there anymore and it isn't commercially viable.
There is catering on the cross-border Enterprise services, including at-seat paid meals in First Class, yet on other routes such as Dublin Heuston to Cork, Trallee, Westport and Galway and Dublin Connolly to Rosslare Europort and Sligo there is no catering avaolable at all which according to the TD is "unacceptable".
I remember pre-pandemic the first service in the morning from Rosslare Europort to Drogheda via Connolly had a catering trolley added at Wexford which did a roaring trade at just after 6am.
I don't think many of the UK operators make much of a profit from retail sales on board, and neither does the Enterprise. Most routes wouldn't suit catering anymore because of the heavy loading on UK trains as the trolley wouldn't be able to get through (CrossCountry, I'm looking at you) and I think that South Western Railway removing catering on Exeter, Weymouth and Portsmouth services was a mistake, also for CrossCountry removing it on the Turbostar Cardiff to Nottingham services.
An at-seat trolley operates on all services on the Dublin/Cork route.When I used this service in 2019, the trolley only appeared from Salisbury and Waterloo.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
When did the catering stop on Cork to Dublin? I seen a trolley back in the summer.
I'm a regular user of the 0900 out of Edinburgh (well, I was, it's less of use to me now as it's fast from Newcastle to York) and it can be a very busy train.I love it, but with my tax payer hat on, it's in no way economical. (Appreciate they then work the 0900 ex Edinburgh, which will be busier)
Goes to show there are circles within circles of coffee quality! I think I actually prefer filter coffee to a latte on a normal day.Filter coffee isn't "quality espresso based coffee", much as I quite like it. Lattes, cappuccinos and flat whites are what I'm talking about.
One of those difficult questions which even surveys are unlikely to get a true answer to. In terms of concrete reasons for choosing the train for a specific journey - then probably no, but in terms of putting the train in the “choice frame” then yes. Not for everyone, of course, and certainly only for specific journeys.
Even on relatively short heritage journeys, I for one make an effort to seek out either a beer or a bottle of Fentiman's. It's part of the experience!From the point of view of Heritage Railways - Catering, especially "on-train" but also having a decent cafe at Terminal stations are an important additional revenue stream.