• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Older cars you have seen

notverydeep

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2014
Messages
1,187
Over the past couple of months a brown Reliant Scimitar has appeared in a field just north of Brookmans Park (between Potters Bar and Hatfield) on the East Coast Mainline. It is easily visible close to the western fence of the line, located adjacent what appears to be a small holding of some kind. There are other old vehicles located in close proximity. Despite the location, the car does not appear to be derelict.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,071
A 52 plate Mitsubushi Delica spotted in Beaminster
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
Over the past couple of months a brown Reliant Scimitar has appeared in a field just north of Brookmans Park (between Potters Bar and Hatfield) on the East Coast Mainline. It is easily visible close to the western fence of the line, located adjacent what appears to be a small holding of some kind. There are other old vehicles located in close proximity. Despite the location, the car does not appear to be derelict.

Not so very far from there, a certain Captain Deltic used to own a Reliant Scimitar…
 

Ted633

Member
Joined
15 Mar 2018
Messages
571
‘A’ reg sierra spotted yesterday on the M20, being loaded on a recovery truck!
 

KT550

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2020
Messages
935
Location
Surrey
An April 1963 Morris 1000
and an extremely tidy looking Ford Escort Mexico (April 1980, V suffix) seen today at a garage in Horley. Both with fresh MOT's.
 

RuddA

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2020
Messages
242
Location
Norwich
Overtook a G reg Toyota Carina II on the M23 this evening.
Not a model I remember when new.
 

david1212

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2020
Messages
1,757
Location
Midlands
H reg (August 1990 - July 1991) Nissan Micra. Looked very tidy apart from some rust on the wheels, just the steel wheels and a cap on the hub so I guess if not the base model near the bottom of the range.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,044
On Sunday a Y prefix Rover 200, and today a very smart looking black and yellow Citroën 2CV with an E prefix (1987ish). Possibly a custom paint job, though I didn't get a long look as I was driving the other way.
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,071
A couple of 02/52 Nissan Elgrand's and a Triumph 2000 on a Y plate.20251223_121857.jpg
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,690
Location
Solihull
Something seen very rarely now but in my youth they seemed like every other car...

M reg Metro, still going strong
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,749
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
On Sunday a Y prefix Rover 200, and today a very smart looking black and yellow Citroën 2CV with an E prefix (1987ish). Possibly a custom paint job, though I didn't get a long look as I was driving the other way.
I remember Citroen offered a yellow 2CV to tie-in with 1981's James Bond film For Your Eyes Only.
In the film, Bond is forced to use a bright yellow 2CV (owned by Melina Havelock, played by Carole Bouquet) after his own gadget - Lotus Esprit Turbo - is destroyed by self-destruction.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
I remember Citroen offered a yellow 2CV to tie-in with 1981's James Bond film For Your Eyes Only.
In the film, Bond is forced to use a bright yellow 2CV (owned by Melina Havelock, played by Carole Bouquet) after his own gadget - Lotus Esprit Turbo - is destroyed by self-destruction.

Et Voilà
 

Attachments

  • 825DC871-3704-4E50-83AF-A8C16DD55667.jpeg
    825DC871-3704-4E50-83AF-A8C16DD55667.jpeg
    798.2 KB · Views: 16

ls2270

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2012
Messages
5,540
Location
Basingstoke
It couldn't have been a Y plate; those Triumphs were well out of production before both the Y suffix and prefix.
Exactly! As a youngster the man next door had a red one and it was an M suffix plate (same age as me!) I wonder if the earlier poster saw it had a suffix plate starting with Y and thought that was the year letter?
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
I saw an F reg white Citroen BX in Mousehole, Cornwall a few days ago. It had moss growing around the rear windows and it looked pretty rough.

However I saw that it had moved a couple of days later. So it’s obviously still in use!
 

Bishopstone

Established Member
Joined
24 Jun 2010
Messages
1,690
Location
Seaford
Passed on the A23 today by an H-prefix Lancia Delta Integrale, sounding throaty and looking immaculate in yellow.
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,749
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Passed on the A23 today by an H-prefix Lancia Delta Integrale, sounding throaty and looking immaculate in yellow.
I am swooning. Mind you, their price and rarity these days, I wouldn't dare take it on busy public roads!


I saw an F reg white Citroen BX in Mousehole, Cornwall a few days ago. It had moss growing around the rear windows and it looked pretty rough.

However I saw that it had moved a couple of days later. So it’s obviously still in use!
BXs seem very rare beasts nowadays. I've not seen more than half a dozen on the roads, this century.
Mind you, another 1980s car of my teen yoof - the Renault Fuego - I've not seen any this century! :D
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
BXs seem very rare beasts nowadays. I've not seen more than half a dozen on the roads, this century.
Not me. You’d imagine that the repair bills/MOT would be way more expensive than getting a replacement?

Mind you, another 1980s car of my teen yoof - the Renault Fuego - I've not seen any this century! :D
There can’t be more than a handful of those still in existence surely?
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,749
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Attached are current taxed Renault Fuego numbers and ditto for the GTI-spec Citrioen BXs (other BX models still taxed as well). I was very surprised to see as many of both.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20251226_225723_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20251226_225723_Chrome.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20251226_225355_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20251226_225355_Chrome.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 18

Bishopstone

Established Member
Joined
24 Jun 2010
Messages
1,690
Location
Seaford
Talk of the Renault Fuego reminds me that a chap living locally has *two* Renault 17 in his garage, at least one of which is roadworthy and seen pottering about occasionally.

I consider myself a car nerd, but I didn’t recollect this coupe model until I did some research, having seen the contents of the garage!
 

Top