• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Okehampton - Paddington Special on 16 March 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2011
Messages
2,576
Location
England
Evening all.

These look interesting.

1Z18 0750 Okehampton - London Paddington
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/V20001/2017/03/18/advanced

1Z81 1812 London Paddington - Okehampton
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/V20002/2017/03/18/advanced

I presume these to be railtours at first sight (and indeed they could well be, although I would think that GWR doing railtours is a bit of a rareity) but GWR are running both of them with HSTs. The two ECS workings relating to these are:

5Z18 0507 Laira T&RSMD - Okehampton
5Z81 2121 Okehampton - Laira T&RSMD

I can't find anything on GWR's website about either of the Okehampton - Paddington trains. Anyone know anything more?

Dave
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quakkerillo

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2015
Messages
553
https://www.facebook.com/events/1133731563370177/

We are hoping to run a special train from Okehampton to London Paddington on Saturday 18th March 2017.

This is to promote the reinstatement of an Okehampton to Exeter regular passenger service.

Please indicate if you would like to express (no pun intended!) your interest.

When we are able to confirm, we will tell you how you can buy tickets. We think that standard class tickets will be around £40 and £25 there will also be some first class tickets of around £70 and £45 too, prices are adult and concessions respectively.

Drop us a message if you want to know more details, but express your interest anyway.

This is from the OkeRail community by the looks of it.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,950
Location
Devon
That looks good, pretty decent prices too.
 

trainmania100

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2015
Messages
3,040
Location
Newhaven
If it did starts from Paddington i would go
Would the stock be an external TOC or from the Dartmoor railway? I understand they have a thumper and that's about it
 
Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
If it did starts from Paddington i would go
Would the stock be an external TOC or from the Dartmoor railway? I understand they have a thumper and that's about it

Looks like it will be a GWR HST. Doubt much else would keep the timings into London!
 

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
1,223
Can't get to okehampton in the morning so not for me but will see it go thru Exeter. Also classic buses running day that day in Exeter.

Wonder if they use the green set.
 

DaveHarries

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2011
Messages
2,576
Location
England
Thanks for the replies above. I think I will get up at some daft hour on the Saturday morning (I don't live in the Exeter area!) and try to photo the set at Crediton on the London-bound run.

Dave
 

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
1,223
Thanks for the replies above. I think I will get up at some daft hour on the Saturday morning (I don't live in the Exeter area!) and try to photo the set at Crediton on the London-bound run.

Dave
Planning to see the ECS somewhere and head into Exeter for vintage bus at the coach station.

Clash of dates, else I've would of gone on it.

Is this the first HST to visit the Dartmoor Railway??
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
As ollieb says above,

18th March 1990 Hertfordshire Railtours "Atlantic Coast Express" 43099+43076 to Meldon Quarry then Okehampton.

13th December 1997 Hertfordshire Railtours "Teign-Taw Turkey" 43004+43192 once again to Meldon then Okehampton, pretty sure there have been others too.
 
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,950
Location
Devon
As ollieb says above,

18th March 1990 Hertfordshire Railtours "Atlantic Coast Express" 43099+43076 to Meldon Quarry then Okehampton.

13th December 1997 Hertfordshire Railtours "Teign-Taw Turkey" 43099+43076 once again to Meldon then Okehampton, pretty sure there have been others too.

I remember the first one going there. That was around the time they did start using HSTs for the odd tour I think. Was the fact that it was the same two power cars just a coincidence?
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
I remember the first one going there. That was around the time they did start using HSTs for the odd tour I think. Was the fact that it was the same two power cars just a coincidence?

No coincidence, just this idiot getting his facts wrong :oops:

The power cars on the Teign-Taw train should read 43004+43192.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,950
Location
Devon
Hahaha. I'm sure no one noticed.
I thought maybe one was named 'Town of Crediton' and the other one 'Town of Okehampton' and they had to use them both for that reason... :)
 

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
As ollieb says above,

18th March 1990 Hertfordshire Railtours "Atlantic Coast Express" 43099+43076 to Meldon Quarry then Okehampton.

13th December 1997 Hertfordshire Railtours "Teign-Taw Turkey" 43004+43192 once again to Meldon then Okehampton, pretty sure there have been others too.

The last HST to Okehampton was Tuesday 21st Feb 2017. Albeit an ECS and not in passenger use.

As a further note this Special has completely sold out!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,950
Location
Devon
The last HST to Okehampton was Tuesday 21st Feb 2017. Albeit an ECS and not in passenger use.

As a further note this Special has completely sold out!

I saw it was sold out, we were thinking of doing it and were just sorting out if we had the day free but by the time we had it was full!
Time for a class 50 hauled 13 coach relief. ;)
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
I saw it was sold out, we were thinking of doing it and were just sorting out if we had the day free but by the time we had it was full!
Time for a class 50 hauled 13 coach relief. ;)

Fully booked already, wow thats fantastic news, it would be good to think that a good chunk of those passengers are actually from the Okehampton area.
 

83G/84D

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2011
Messages
6,152
Location
Cornwall
The bus event in Exeter is on Sunday 19th March to commemorate the closure of the bus station albeit it has another stay of execution:-

Sunday 19 March 2017- Exeter Bus Station - The Final Fling!
Join us at Exeter Bus Station on Sunday, 19 March 2017 - the final Sunday of the Bus Station’s operation - to celebrate over 50 years of its service to the city of Exeter, to re-live memories of years and vehicles gone by, to mark the closure of yet another iconic public facility from the 1960s … and to look ahead at things to come. We plan to have a selection of Devon General, Western National, Exeter Corporation and other appropriate buses and coaches, many of which will be running in-service for periods throughout the day. Free rides will be available to the public around carefully-planned routes from the past 50+ years. More details will appear on this site and in the press a little nearer the time.
http://www.dgot.co.uk/page8.html

Full story behind indefinite delay and rising cost of Exeter's St Sidwell's Point and bus station

Read more at http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co....0158750-detail/story.html#jRABx66VaAmXedui.99
 
Last edited:

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
1,223
Proves there is a need for a okehampton rail service being that it sold out.
 

headshot119

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2010
Messages
2,051
Location
Dubai
Proves there is a need for a okehampton rail service being that it sold out.

It does nothing of the sort, it's a railtour, I very much doubt you'd get a HST worth of people buying a return from London to Okehampton on a daily basis.
 

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
1,223
I'd say it's a charter, since they are looking at another one later in year which takes it being special away.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top