That's what Revenue Protection Officers are for. If they choose to ignore purchasing facilities at the station, and board without a ticket - they will either be charged a Penalty Fare (atleast £100) or reported for prosecution under byelaws or the RORA 1889. EMR has Officers based at Derby, Nottingham, London Saint Pancras, Leicester and Sheffield - pretty much all destinations from Nottingham and it's very common to find them onboard checking tickets and serving rightful justice to those who don't have a ticket (or valid alternative). I fully support the harsh penalties on those who are avoiding paying the fare but I feel on balance, a better option would be to have RPOs on trains and keeping the stations an open environment - especially for people who are saying goodbye to relatives boarding a train and assisting them with luggage etc.
Is it? What does a Revenue Protection Officer do when a down and out walks in, gets on a train/walks straight into the toilet and is travelling to the likes of Mansfield/Newark/Burton/Chesterfield or indeed the suburban stations in Birmingham avoiding the barriers at New Street where there's no back up or barriers and when challenged says nothing at all or "I've got no money, I'm not giving my details, bye"?
Compliant fare evaders, sure - not so easy with those who won't go work with your processes, it's them that you have to physically prevent from accessing the railway in the first place.
I honestly don't need a lecture in how to deal with fare evaders, I've been a train conductor in the area for many years.
Follow a Revenue Protection team to Worksop, it can be like watching a dust up in an American West saloon bar.
Out of interest, how would you deal with someone who has walked into the open station, boarded a train and is now refusing to engage with the staff/actually behaving in a threatening manner?
I travelled from Cardiff to Nottingham a few weeks ago and was very surprised that I never had my ticket checked during the whole journey. EMR on most routes are very good at checking tickets but I don‘t understand why ticket inspections on the Robin Hood Line are not so regular as they once were. I did a return journey between Hucknall and Worksop recently and did not have my ticket checked. I’ve been on a number of busy trains into Nottingham on the Robin Hood Line where there has been no attempt to check tickets with the guard remaining in the rear cab. These trains then arrive at the centre of Platform 1 at Notttingham with the majority of passengers then exiting via the central bridge.
There's two issues. One is the 3 car 170/2s have a distinct lack of guards panels (back cab and one end of the middle car only) and are extremely hard work to cover, you basically struggle to get into the front coach if the centre car panel is at the rear of it and on a busy train it's hopeless. They're being modified next year to make them easier to work with more guards panels.
Second is that there is a general malaise amongst the conductors regarding dealing with some of the more difficult "customers" on the route with little to no options to deal with them when they get nasty. Gangs of feral kids, the local druggies riding around (lost my ticket) and the likes. Hucknall to Mansfield in the early evening is particularly miserable.
With these days of apps and TVMs rather than selling tickets to people who don't mind paying the conductors now spend more time squeaking the difficult few quid out of those who very much don't want to pay and quite often just refuse and unlike most routes in the area there is significant local traffic that just enters and exits at the unstaffed stations like Hucknall and Mansfield.
Getting assaulted dealing with them is not the popular option and there has several staff members hurt and trains damaged in the process.
Short of having a team of coppers available to descend on the scrotes with 5 minutes notice and physically drag them away it's a hard nut to crack.
Something I think is a pretty big problem actually is Crosscountry. Revenue protection is almost non-existent on their trains to Nottingham, so I would imagine quite a few people chance it on their services. I find I normally get a ticket check on EMR services, but Crosscountry almost never, I've done two full runs to Cardiff with nothing the whole way! It must be difficult for EMR to try to make changes to their own operation when others are making it worse.
The best solution for this is to just hire more or better deploy RPOs near Nottingham on the worst lines, and/or do what Northern do and incentivise conductor ticket checking. I know, for example, the local lines around Leeds have very low fare evasion because there's so many revenue blocks at local stations and on trains as well, we just need to have that around Nottingham.
I have no idea what has happened to XC and ticket checking on the 170s. It appears to have turned into a shambles that smells of poor management.
I've been on plenty of their trains - in the last 20 or so journeys I've seen 1 guard checking tickets, the rest have hurried through at speed every now and then clicking a counter doing a passenger count as if that's productive work and remained firmly in the back cab otherwise just making announcements.