• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Notice of intention to prosecute (wrong railcard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

micool_5

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2024
Messages
6
Location
Cambridge
Hi RailUK forum members, I hope you guys are doing well.

I have received a letter from Govia Thameslink Railway regarding an incident in October when I purchased a ticket with 16-17 railcard even though the railcard I possess was for 16-25. I am very fortunate to find this forum and I want to seek advice on my response to GTR:


Dear Fares Evasion Manager,

I would like to start by offering my sincerest apologies for the incident of travelling on the railway without a valid ticket. On October 2, 2024, I mistakenly purchased a ticket using a 16-17 Railcard instead of my valid 16-25 Railcard. I boarded the train at Kings Cross station, and when rightly questioned at Hitchin station by a Revenue Protection Officer, who pointed out that my ticket was not valid. It was a very foolish act and I accept total responsibility for my actions. I have learnt my lesson and I make extra care while booking train tickets. I have also familiarised myself with the terms and conditions of the network railcard and I assure you that I will not use it outside its restrictions.

I am very concerned that my foolishness in the is matter will affect my future employment, and I would be very grateful if you would consider allowing me to settle this matter out of court. I offer my full cooperation towards resolving the situation and offer to pay the fare I avoided for my journey (from Kings Cross to Cambridge), as well as any costs GTR has incurred as a result of my actions. I hope this, and the purchase of the railcard show that I am determined to not let this situation reoccur.

Yours faithfully,

Firstname Lastname



I appreciate this community and thank you in advance for you help!
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 27
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,595
Location
LBK
You say you have a 16-25 Railcard, but then mention a Network Railcard. These are two different things - did you mean to mention a "Network Railcard"?
 

micool_5

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2024
Messages
6
Location
Cambridge
You say you have a 16-25 Railcard, but then mention a Network Railcard. These are two different things - did you mean to mention a "Network Railcard"?
Thank you for pointing it out! I only mean 16-25 railcard, and will change the "network railcard" to "16-25 railcard".
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,131
You say you mistakenly selected the wrong railcard option but later appear to admit it was deliberate. So the letter appears inconsistent to me.

If you bought the ticket online will they find other examples of the wrong railcard being selected when they review your account?

Also you say at the end that you have purchased a railcard to demonstrate that you won’t do it again, but that wasn’t the issue - you had a railcard, just used the cheaper one when selecting.
 

micool_5

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2024
Messages
6
Location
Cambridge
You say you mistakenly selected the wrong railcard option but later appear to admit it was deliberate. So the letter appears inconsistent to me.

If you bought the ticket online will they find other examples of the wrong railcard being selected when they review your account?

Also you say at the end that you have purchased a railcard to demonstrate that you won’t do it again, but that wasn’t the issue - you had a railcard, just used the cheaper one when selecting.
Thank you for pointing these out! There are a few occassions where I selected the wrong railcard, but I've made extra care that this haven't happened since the incident.

I've made a few changes to my response. Does it look better?

Dear Fares Evasion Manager,

I would like to start by offering my sincerest apologies for the incident of travelling on the railway without a valid ticket. On October 2, 2024, I purchased a ticket using a 16-17 Railcard instead of my valid 16-25 Railcard. I boarded the train at Kings Cross station, and when rightly questioned at Hitchin station by a Revenue Protection Officer, who pointed out that my ticket was not valid.

It was a very foolish act and I accept total responsibility for my actions. I have carefully reviewed the terms and conditions of my railcard and will make sure I adhere to its restrictions in the future. Additionally, I am taking extra care when booking train tickets to avoid any further mistakes.

I am very concerned that my foolishness in this matter will affect my future employment, and I would be very grateful if you would consider allowing me to settle this matter out of court. I offer my full cooperation towards resolving the situation and offer to pay the fare I avoided for my journey (from Kings Cross station to Cambridge station), as well as any costs GTR has incurred as a result of my actions. I learnt an important lesson from this incident and I am determined to not let this situation reoccur.

Thank you for your understanding and consideration.

Yours faithfully,

Firstname Lastname
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,131
I’d replace the second “offer” by “would be very grateful if you were to give me the opportunity to pay…”
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
I've made a few minor alterations. I would cut out the bit about your future employment - this is no concern of GTR's.

One other thing that needs changing - you say you were questioned at Hitchin station but later in the letter you say your journey was from Kings Cross to Cambridge.

Were you questioned on board the train as it passed Hitchin? If so I would change 'questioned at Hitchin station' to say 'questioned on board the train'
Or did you change trains at Hitchin?

Dear Fares Evasion Manager,

I would like to start by offering my sincerest apologies for the incident of travelling on the railway without a valid ticket. On October 2, 2024. I purchased a ticket using a 16-17 Railcard instead of my valid 16-25 Railcard. I boarded the train at Kings Cross station, and when rightly questioned at Hitchin station by a Revenue Protection Officer, who they pointed out that my ticket was not valid.

It was a very foolish act and I accept total responsibility for my actions. I have carefully reviewed the terms and conditions of my railcard and will make sure I adhere to its restrictions in the future. Additionally, I am taking extra care when booking train tickets to avoid any further mistakes.

I am very concerned that my foolishness in this matter will affect my future employment, and I would be very grateful if you would consider allowing me to settle this matter out of court. I offer my full cooperation towards resolving the situation and offer to pay the fare I avoided for my journey (from Kings Cross station to Cambridge station), as well as any costs GTR has incurred as a result of my actions. I learnt an important lesson from this incident and I am determined to not let this situation reoccur.

Thank you for your understanding and consideration.

Yours faithfully,

Firstname Lastname
 

micool_5

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2024
Messages
6
Location
Cambridge
I've made a few minor alterations. I would cut out the bit about your future employment - this is no concern of GTR's.

One other thing that needs changing - you say you were questioned at Hitchin station but later in the letter you say your journey was from Kings Cross to Cambridge.

Were you questioned on board the train as it passed Hitchin? If so I would change 'questioned at Hitchin station' to say 'questioned on board the train'
Or did you change trains at Hitchin?

Dear Fares Evasion Manager,

I would like to start by offering my sincerest apologies for the incident of travelling on the railway without a valid ticket. On October 2, 2024. I purchased a ticket using a 16-17 Railcard instead of my valid 16-25 Railcard. I boarded the train at Kings Cross station, and when rightly questioned at Hitchin station by a Revenue Protection Officer, who they pointed out that my ticket was not valid.

It was a very foolish act and I accept total responsibility for my actions. I have carefully reviewed the terms and conditions of my railcard and will make sure I adhere to its restrictions in the future. Additionally, I am taking extra care when booking train tickets to avoid any further mistakes.

I am very concerned that my foolishness in this matter will affect my future employment, and I would be very grateful if you would consider allowing me to settle this matter out of court. I offer my full cooperation towards resolving the situation and offer to pay the fare I avoided for my journey (from Kings Cross station to Cambridge station), as well as any costs GTR has incurred as a result of my actions. I learnt an important lesson from this incident and I am determined to not let this situation reoccur.

Thank you for your understanding and consideration.

Yours faithfully,

Firstname Lastname
Thank you Hadders! I have decided to reply using the version after you have revised. Thank you for everyone who has helped and I'll wait and hear from GTR.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top