GatwickDepress
Established Member
In reverse, everyone north of Tunbridge Wells to me is a northerner.Are they not in "The Yokels / Sheep Fornicators category"
If you live in Shetland then everyone including Mainland Scots are "Southerners" !!!
In reverse, everyone north of Tunbridge Wells to me is a northerner.Are they not in "The Yokels / Sheep Fornicators category"
If you live in Shetland then everyone including Mainland Scots are "Southerners" !!!
Are they not in "The Yokels / Sheep Fornicators category"![]()
Surely that would include certain parts of Yorkshire?
I've already got my coat...
Parts of Nottinghamshire are geographically more "Northern" than "Midlands".
Northerners are much nicer, friendlier people with and understanding of what proper ale should look and taste like. Living amongst the cockney I see my situation as akin to missionary work with the heathens! Plus someone has to show them what hard work is. They also cant deal with blunt honest northern common sense and take offense when you call them love!
Anywhere south, west or north of the north east is suspect, anyone south of Doncaster is a cockney. The midlands dont exist as they are all cockneys. London is the source of all evil. Wales and the west country is basically off the map and simply marked there be dragons and they talk funny. And they are cockneys. Scotland. Who knows? They speak funny.
So all in all anyone not from the north east is a wrong un.
I take it you have not gone "native" yet then, being absent from your beloved Darlington for an extended period![]()
never - as i said missionary work. These poor people deserve to have a better life and decent ale
Didn't realise you'd taken up "Holy Orders"
Those "Southern Heathens" will be a hard task to tackle !!!
never - as i said missionary work. These poor people deserve to have a better life and decent ale
Theres been decent ale down south and in London for many many years - maybe you just arer not very good at looking for it?
And my Northern credentials are more Northern than yours, southerner![]()
Yes, as far as I'm concerned Birmingham (and I did live there for a few years) is part of the North.
there may be but the publicans often dont know how to keep it or serve it![]()
I'm working my way south; born in Scotland, grew up in Lancashire, now living in Birmingham for University. Personally, I think the North/South divide is apparent, but there are also far, far more divisions within it. For example, the South East has a vastly different atmosphere to the South West. I don't subscribe to the everything south of X is a Northerner/Southerner, for me the North ends at Crewe. The Midlands takes over down to about Banbury/Northampton-ish. Then the South.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Personally, to me it doesn't quite have the same approach as Northern cities like Leeds or Manchester. Maybe it's the lack of Pacers!!
One thing I have noticed is about the "Midlands" is that people who live in so-called "posh" towns or consider them self posh, seem less likely to have a Midlands accent and have a generic Southern one instead! Everyone in the proper North tends to have at least a slight hint of whatever Northern accent in their dialect!
I think the slight southern accent is Estuary English making its slow progress north.
As a counter offensive, Greggs (blaugh) and Morrisons are making their way south
including some of the rudest OAPs from Boscombe
Boscombe? Where's that? Don't you mean Pokesdown for Boscombe (between Christchurch and Bournemouth)?![]()
Greggs have been down south for years man. Though I watched that programme where he got stotties into his shop in reading or somwehere and was meant to be rolled out but Ive not seen one yet![]()
As a counter offensive, Greggs (blaugh) and Morrisons are making their way south
Sadly, this is right. Alongside, though probably not related to, the Northwards spread of Waitrose.
Sadly, this is right. Alongside, though probably not related to, the Northwards spread of Waitrose.