• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northerners / Southerners - Are we really any different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
In Grimsby/Cleethorpes (up north) people politely queue at the bus stop. Kind of mandatory, so it seems.
In London and the south it seems to be "every man for himself".

In the south people also do that. It is a British thing. London is the one particularly bad place for it however I have noticed, especially with the tourists.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,851
In the south people also do that. It is a British thing. London is the one particularly bad place for it however I have noticed, especially with the tourists.

Oh to be somewhere where the concept of queuing actually exists! :lol:
 

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
Oh to be somewhere where the concept of queuing actually exists! :lol:

Remarkable as it sounds, try Canary Wharf Jubilee line platforms in the evening peak. People do indeed queue behind the platform doors. Occasional queue jumpers are ignored as no one will create a scene but generally it is very civilised considering the vast numbers of passengers.
 

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,851
Remarkable as it sounds, try Canary Wharf Jubilee line platforms in the evening peak. People do indeed queue behind the platform doors. Occasional queue jumpers are ignored as no one will create a scene but generally it is very civilised considering the vast numbers of passengers.

I'm impressed :P

Almost on the same subject - letting people off the train first. I know it's been debated a lot but today takes the biscuit....

Brand new tramline inaugurated today with free travel for the weekend* so there's generally a good atmosphere but at the same time it's very busy. Tram arrives at the terminus, and yet people are still trying to get on before people can get off. I mean, at the terminus of all places? Things were getting very fractious indeed, and the situation was only solved when everyone was told that actually the tram was going to sit in the headshunt for 5 minutes anyway so you're wasting your time ;) I'm not sure whether such behaviour would happen to such an extent in the UK, be it in the North, South, or the forgotten Midlands!

*I'm sure for a not too insignificant percentage it will be 'free travel' every day of the year, but I'm wont't dwell on that too much!
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
In my experience letting people off the train first is much more common on the London Underground than it is on the National Rail network.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,461
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Remarkable as it sounds, try Canary Wharf Jubilee line platforms in the evening peak. People do indeed queue behind the platform doors. Occasional queue jumpers are ignored as no one will create a scene but generally it is very civilised considering the vast numbers of passengers.

Perhaps there are many "Northern" people working in that area who have not yet been led down the path of queue incivility.
 

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2013
Messages
2,588
Location
Leeds
I haven't noticed any major differences between north and south. People seem to be people regardless whatever side of an ill-defined divide they happen to be on.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Agreed. Their food isn't particularly nice, nor is it even that cheap.

There is also quite a big price differential between their branches in the north and the south.

A few years back I remember in the same week I was charged 44p in a Leeds branch for a sausage roll, then 82p for the same thing in Stratford two days later.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
I went to both Sunderland and Bradford stores earlier in the year and many of their items were more expensive than available in Sainsburys, or other stores, including independent bakeries.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
In my experience letting people off the train first is much more common on the London Underground than it is on the National Rail network.

It used to be be much easier to force people to let you off first when slam door stock existed, as people on the platform would have to move out of the way in order for the door to be opened. On at least one occasion, before alighting, I had to say to those on the platform "I can't open the door until you move out of the way" or similar.

Nowadays, it seems a lot of passengers can't even work out how to open a slam door.... :|
 

AndyLandy

Established Member
Joined
30 Oct 2011
Messages
1,323
Location
Southampton, UK
Given there can be people around 30 years old who've never been on slam door stock and the door opening procedure being unconventional. Is that surprising?

I suspect it depends on where the doorhandles are. I expect most people would be able to work out how to open a slam-door if there's a handle on the inside.

However, the crazy mk3 design where you have to hang out of the window is so totally alien and unintuitive, it's unsurprising that some people don't figure it out.

It even happened to me once. I was pretty used to slam-door stock once upon a time, but then we got 444s and Voyagers down here to replace it all. It was years before I had reason to be on an HST again and I was just as confused as anyone. I'd completely forgotten that you had to hang out the window and it took me a moment of handle-searching before the memory came back to me.
 

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,851
I'd completely forgotten that you had to hang out the window and it took me a moment of handle-searching before the memory came back to me.

I remember on a school trip on a HST :D in a small group of us, they wondered what on earth I was doing as I leaned out the window on arriving back in Gloucester. I think for a moment they thought I was going to bypass the whole 'opening the door' step and was just going to dive for it!
 

Lrd

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
3,018
Saw this posted on facebook and thought it'd be appropriate here. :lol:

1185612_10152057501709524_1567039842_n.jpg
 

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
Perhaps there are many "Northern" people working in that area who have not yet been led down the path of queue incivility.

Can't be that, we've programmed the ticket barriers to detect Northerners to prevent them reaching the platform in the first place ;)

The platforms at Canary Wharf are very wide so maybe that is why people queue, simply because they have the space to do so.
 

Muzer

Established Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
2,784
Pokesdown and Boscombe are the names of two neighbouring suburbs, but tbh all my mates and I have always referred to the wider area as Boscombe, since it has a pier, and the football club is named after it (or was rather), therefore more famous.
Yep - sorry, it was a rather poor attempt at humour on my part (that most of us only know where places are by hearing them on station announcements/looking at timetables/trackmaps ;))
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was surprised the first time I looked at the Network Area map, as it corresponded pretty much exactly with my definition of "the south". Having grown up in Worcestershire I always felt "on the border" somehow, south of us was Gloucestershire and the south west with their friendly ways and accents, north of us was Birmingham which always seemed rude and abrasive when I visited. Having subsequently lived in the East Midlands, and then Yorkshire I've always felt the North was sufficiently different to the Midlands not to group them together.

I'd therefore mess the whole theory up and have "the South", "the North", "the Midlands" and "the (South) West"...
Ah - so by your definition of south, Exeter is in the south if you approach it from the south, but if you try to approach it from the north, the south stops at Bedwyn? ;)
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
The Jubilee line is interesting. My local tube station, Canada Water, has platform edge doors. Every day there are neat orderly queues next to the doors for trains to Canary Wharf, and a throng of disorganised people trying to shove past to get on the trains to the City/Central London. The difference in behaviour is very noticeable when they're both on opposite sides of the same island platofrm
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
I was surprised to hear a description of "a northern town" being presented to make a point while I was in the Supreme Court last week.
The argument concerned the tort of Nuisance, and whether a person can come to live in a place where the traditional noises of the place disturb them and then take action in Law to have the noise of those traditions stopped.

I think that all the Law Lords on that occasion were Southerners.

One Counsel referred to Lord Denning's famous 1977 remarks on the subject when a newcomer complained about that most English of pastimes, the noise of cricket balls hit by willow bats : "In Summertime, village Cricket is the delight of everyone. Nearly every village has its own cricket field where the young men play and the old men watch." *.
In that case, an injuction had been granted against the Cricket Club to stop the nuisance after a new home was built right next to the cricket ground and the newcomers couldn't stand the noise of the balls being hit, so they had the cricket stopped.

To refute that position, Counsel for the residents asked the court to imagine "a northern mill town". A town whose mills are belching smoke and fumes everywhere and with clanging machines that are heard throught the town, and where the mills provide the lifeblood of the community, support the community with work and income, even the reason for the community to be there.

I guessed he hadn't been to any "northern mill towns" in the last 50 years, then. Though, he probably had read Dickens' "Hard Times".
If he'd made a visit to 'the mill' in Skipton, for example, he would have found himself in the very smart new Council Offices. Very calm and quiet they are, too.

I looked round the Court to see if anyone else was as shocked as I was at this fanciful description of "the north", but no-one acknowledged my bemused stare.
Isn't it odd to be so mistaken about so much of one's own country?

[ * It's ironic that Denning's speech about village Cricket was actually about a village in a northern town, Lintz, in that former mining stronghold - County Durham ]
 
Last edited:
Joined
29 May 2013
Messages
210
Location
Derby
There is also quite a big price differential between their branches in the north and the south.

A few years back I remember in the same week I was charged 44p in a Leeds branch for a sausage roll, then 82p for the same thing in Stratford two days later.

Discrimination pricing is a very popular pricing strategy with high street chains. The company looks at which socio-economic groups are most prominent in the area and sets their price accordingly. Generally speaking, in Stratford there are more people in socio-economic groups A and B than there are in Leeds. Remember that rent on a commercial property is probably also higher in Stratford than in Leeds due to the proximity to London compared to Leeds.

You may have already knew that but I just wanted to throw that in for those who may not be so knowledgable on pricing strategies. :)
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Discrimination pricing is a very popular pricing strategy with high street chains. The company looks at which socio-economic groups are most prominent in the area and sets their price accordingly. Generally speaking, in Stratford there are more people in socio-economic groups A and B than there are in Leeds. Remember that rent on a commercial property is probably also higher in Stratford than in Leeds due to the proximity to London compared to Leeds.

You may have already knew that but I just wanted to throw that in for those who may not be so knowledgable on pricing strategies. :)

You've got to keep them separated.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top