• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments and depot allocations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sbrignall72

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2020
Messages
773
Location
Brough
Yesterday there was a 5N32 Wolverton Centre to Newton Heath and today there is 5H70 1140 Newton Heath to Wolverton Centre. Does anyone know which units were on these trains. MTIA
 

reecestrains

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2023
Messages
384
Location
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Has anyone had chance to film the TFX announcements onboard 333006 yet?
Well all I can tell you is I saw 006 in Leeds station yesterday, and noticed the external side screens have been boarded up and TrainFX has been installed in the same position as the older screens inside and new screens have been put up from the exterior.

I haven't seen it in operation yet, but I'll try and find out this week if I can catch the unit.
 
Joined
27 Jul 2022
Messages
26
Location
Bradford
Interesting to see the additional display in the accessible area

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

 

Attachments

  • IMG_0216.jpeg
    IMG_0216.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0212.jpeg
    IMG_0212.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0211.jpeg
    IMG_0211.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0210.jpeg
    IMG_0210.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0209.jpeg
    IMG_0209.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 98

Harvey B

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2019
Messages
1,241
Interesting to see the additional display in the accessible area

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

The announcements sound muffled compared to the original Dan Strauss announcements. I think it's safe to say this is certainly on the Tfx end and not the PA output (which I assume has been kept the same)

I personally think they would have been better off getting Televic, or the same system that Cross Country's 170s are getting.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Another thing to note is the "Welcome to the Menston", Announcement sounds like it was put on by mistake.

It also sounds as though they've uploaded parts of the original Dan Strauss announcements onto Tfx
 
Last edited:

Adam0984

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2014
Messages
1,213
Oh no they haven't merged the 2 sets of announcements together, it just goes from bad to worse
 

reecestrains

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2023
Messages
384
Location
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Interesting to see the additional display in the accessible area

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I'm trying out the unit today and I'll give my own judgement once I've been on it.

I don't think it's bad in my opinion although some adjustments could be made on the system there.

Definitely better execution than the TrainFX installation on the Class 170's.
 
Joined
27 Jul 2022
Messages
26
Location
Bradford
Reupload as silly me forgot that I trimmed the video, overall I found no problems of the trainfx system in my opinion from a customers perspective apart from when it is pronouncing the time.

 

Adam0984

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2014
Messages
1,213
The 2nd bit of the announcement that's really disjointed is basically trying to say welcome to Menston's {insert time} train, but it's doing the time very quiet and in 12 hour clock and then forgets to say where its going to. Not sure if it's a throw back to an old version on TfX as for a few weeks it did announce the time of the train automatically but in 12 hour clock and then was removed as the railway works in 24 hour clock
 

tfw756rider

On Moderation
Joined
30 Nov 2024
Messages
1,997
Location
Wales (sometimes in England), thanks for replying!
That TrainFX keeps putting out that equipment with that muffled, overly bassy sound output is utterly baffling, and you'd think the people making the sound files would at least make the best of a bad situation and apply a 200Hz (if not higher) high-pass (or "low-cut") filter and boost all treble (anything above 2KHz), but no.
 

Adam0984

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2014
Messages
1,213
To be fair for main TfX bit the sound is spot on by the train, the content recordings is where it lacks and how the final bit is pieced together with multiple bits of sounds at different volumes and people
 

Soft Hands

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2020
Messages
104
Location
Bolton
Not previously reported on here, but I'm reliably informed that 156420 has now landed at Wolverton, presumably for a C6 overhaul? Can anyone confirm please? TIA!
 

Jacob Porrett

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2022
Messages
1,970
Location
Telford
The 158 at Crewe has had it's bogies removed today for some work to be done on them. They will go back on afterwards.
 

sbrignall72

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2020
Messages
773
Location
Brough
One for diligentdave do we have any updated expected release dates for the units below.
150005
150105
150218
150275
155346
156402
156420
156451
156491

MTIA
Shaun
 

diligentdave

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2007
Messages
444
Not previously reported on here, but I'm reliably informed that 156420 has now landed at Wolverton, presumably for a C6 overhaul? Can anyone confirm please? TIA!
I had it input early June due to excessive corrosion. C6 starts next week.
The 158 at Crewe has had its bogies removed today for some work to be done on them. They will go back on afterwards.
The bogies have been removed to undertake some work on the underframe.
One for diligentdave do we have any updated expected release dates for the units below.
150005
150105
150218
150275
155346
156402
156420
156451
156491

MTIA
Shaun
Diligentdave (me) is on holiday. I’ll update when I return.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,897
013 is already underway.
In which case I suspect it's nearly ready for the trip to Neville Hill, as it allegedly (according to the system) moved over to Lanky Road siding this morning from where the mods have been happening.
 

diligentdave

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2007
Messages
444
One for diligentdave do we have any updated expected release dates for the units below.
150005 - 26/09/25
150105 - 08/08/25
150218 - How longs a piece of string?
150275 - 22/10/25
155346 - 12/09/25
156402 - 31/08/25 (expect this to change)
156420 - 01/10/25 (expect this to change)
156451 - 02/08/25
156491 - 27/09/25

MTIA
Shaun
 

sbrignall72

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2020
Messages
773
Location
Brough
Thank you for that diligentdave. Are most C6s at Wolverton taking the normal amount of time, or is it dependent on corrosion. Why does 150218 keep slipping. With all the short forms I thought Northern would be screaming for its return.
 

Adam0984

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2014
Messages
1,213
Yeah they're at different stages, 13 is about a week ahead of 16, whilst 006 was been done 007 was started, and whilst that was finished 013 was started etc
 

reecestrains

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2023
Messages
384
Location
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I was on 333007 yesterday which has now received TrainFX mods and it doesn't say that additional bit i.e. Welcome to the Menstion (time) train. (although the announcement speakers were not working)

While I'm not keen on the TrainFX system on the 170, I actually don't mind the TrainFX mod on the 333 and think they've done a better job on that in my opinion.
 

Top