Bovverboy said: ↑
Talking of 319458, I travelled on it tonight on the 1720 LIV-MCV, the unit off which would normally (M/F) lurk in the reversing siding until becoming the lead unit on the 2209 MCV-LIV.Tonight it looks to have gone back to LIV as the 1900 ex-MCV, in place of the unit off the 1740 LIV-MCV, which has been cancelled. So the 2209, unusually, should tonight be a single unit. (Probably, 319458).
22:09 not running at all, no driver, whole diagram (17:40 Man Vic, 18:57 Huddersfield, 20:15 Man Vic) all uncovered.
Quite, I discovered the 2209 wasn't running when I turned up at Victoria wanting to catch it. Had I known the 1740 ex-Liverpool and 2209 ex-Vic were on the same duty I might well have been able to predict the course of events.
Slight credit to Northern, they did put a replacement coach on, but this fact was only apparent on the screens at Victoria. At gone 2200 RTT was still saying the 2209 train was running as scheduled, and, as far as I'm aware, the 2209 coach never appeared online at all. There was a girl waiting at Eccles who hadn't known anything about the coach so there were presumably no announcements, or, at least, no meaningful ones. It may be that the only passengers who saw any benefit from the coach were the ones travelling from Victoria, which is often the case in the situation of last-minute coach substitutions. I think the only reason a coach was put on at 2209 was the fact that the 2309 was already cancelled, by virtue of routine improvement works.
Another journey which apparently missed was the 2122 Lime Street to Victoria.
So the casualty list for the evening has been:
1740 Lime Street - Victoria (Train crew issue)
2122 Lime Street - Victoria (Planning error!)
2209 Victoria - Lime Street (Train crew issue)
2309 Victoria - Lime Street (Pre-planned cancellation - improvement works)
2320 Lime Street - Victoria (Pre-planned cancellation - improvement works)
After 2109 the only train which seems to have successfully departed its originating point has been the 2220 Lime Street to Victoria, even that left Liverpool 13L and dropped off tracking altogether at Newton-le-Willows. So I've no idea what happened to it after that.
458 will remain in situ in the reverser at Victoria now.
If the 2220 ex-Liverpool made it to Victoria, then there will be the usual number of units in the reversing siding (two), if not there will be a deficiency for service in the morning.
Q: Is the duty starting 1740 Lime Street to Victoria always staffed by a Liverpool crew, or is it only so when the last two trains of the day are pre-planned cancellations?
Last edited: