• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments and depot allocations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

47802

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
3,454
Apparently the corrosion "under the surface" was far more severe than thought. There are rumours that when the 158s go back for new seats, (some of) the current 158 seats will be put into the 155s.

Why aren't the seats in the 155's more modern?
 
Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Why aren't the seats in the 155's are more modern?

The ex-Wessex 158s have the same type of seats as the 155s and ex-FNW 156s. I've not been on a Northern 158 for a long time but there's certainly some seats on both 155s and 156s which need replacing, whether it's with new seats or recycled seats.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Why aren't the seats in the 155's are more modern?

Firstly, I said there were rumours- it may be nonsense. Secondly, commas are your friend. Thirdly, they may be more modern (or not) but they're not as pleasant and are lower-which isn't ideal on a unit with such a high window base.
 

Great_Western

Member
Joined
18 May 2016
Messages
204
Apparently the corrosion "under the surface" was far more severe than thought. There are rumours that when the 158s go back for new seats, (some of) the current 158 seats will be put into the 155s.

Given the supposed body sag issues with the 153's that would not be a surprise. Also, they were built by British Leyland in the 1980's so any manner of things could be wrong with them! It does confuse me a bit though, surely if you were to spend that much time (and presumably money) on refurbishing a unit, you could at least give it a more thorough overhaul with new seats, PIS, Lighting, plug sockets and suchlike.

In regards to putting 158 seats in them, that has already been tried back when Wessex trains decided to take them from the 158's and put them in to 153's. It was awful, they were far too low, the legroom was crap and they felt too wide for the aisles. On the other hand, the Primarious? seats that replaced them in the 158's (also found in LM 350 first class and certain Govia electrostars) were lovely.
 
Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Given the supposed body sag issues with the 153's that would not be a surprise. Also, they were built by British Leyland in the 1980's so any manner of things could be wrong with them! It does confuse me a bit though, surely if you were to spend that much time (and presumably money) on refurbishing a unit, you could at least give it a more thorough overhaul with new seats, PIS, Lighting, plug sockets and suchlike.

In regards to putting 158 seats in them, that has already been tried back when Wessex trains decided to take them from the 158's and put them in to 153's. It was awful, they were far too low, the legroom was crap and they felt too wide for the aisles. On the other hand, the Primarious? seats that replaced them in the 158's (also found in LM 350 first class and certain Govia electrostars) were lovely.

The body sag thing is unconfirmed, but if you were the owning ROSCO you wouldn't exactly be shouting it from the rooftops if it is true...

It seems that quite a few of Northern's refurbishment programmes are being phased, rather than being done all in one big job. Whether this is better value, or perhaps arranged to reduce down-time, is anyone's guess!

The recushioned seats in the white 158s are pretty darn good in my opinion, and if the base cushions in particular prove to be hard-wearing I'd definitely welcome them being refitted to 155s* and 156s- that is if they are indeed to be replaced in the 158s, something I'm not sure is necessary.

*= With the caveat that the spacing/pitch is increased, of course!
 
Last edited:

BurtonM

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2014
Messages
983
Location
Manchester
I got my first ride on a refurb 150 yesterday. They're actually really nicely done, except for the windows.

CIS still isn't doing anything, just reads 'welcome aboard this Class 150' on the inside.
 

1179_Clee2

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2016
Messages
285
Location
North East Lincolnshire
Due: 150001, 150002*; 150101, 150102, 150104, 150105, 150106, 150107, 150108, 150109, 150120, 150121, 150122, 150123, 150124, 150125, 150126, 150127, 150128, 150129, 150130, 150131; 150202*, 150216

If anybody notices any mistakes, or has information on the PRM status of the units expected to arrive, please let me know.

Spent some time last week in the Bristol area.
PRM status of incoming 150's
150 216 has PRM and painted in GWR green
150 126 has PRM (currently 150 926 as a three car) center car not done, painted plain First blue
150 101,104,120,121.122 and 131 seen but still need PRM
 

M1544

Member
Joined
20 Sep 2016
Messages
137
I can confirm that 155346 has brand new seats, but still fitted so close together than I can't actually get my knees in - and I'm only 5'10".

The seats in 155346 are not totally new. They are the same type as previously but have been reupholstered and the backs painted etc.
 

rich r

Member
Joined
2 Mar 2017
Messages
149
The seats in 155346 are not totally new. They are the same type as previously but have been reupholstered and the backs painted etc.

Ah I see. I guess they sanded out all the scratches and used new bolts so they look new.
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Another update. Thanks to 1179_Clee2, 158722 and M1544 for their recent updates.

Units in red are in the Northern Rail livery or their former operator's livery.
Units in blue are in the Northern livery.
Units in purple are in the base Northern livery.
Units in bold are fully refurbished.
Units with a ^ are out of service for refurbishment/PRM mods.
Units with a * have received PRM modifications.
Units with a $ are currently stored/out of service.
319s with an F are having engines fitted for the 319 Flex programme.

Class 150s:
150103, 150110, 150111, 150112, 150113, 150114, 150115, 150116, 150117, 150118, 150119, 150132, 150133, 150134*, 150135, 150136*, 150137*, 150138, 150139, 150140*, 150141, 150142^, 150143, 150144, 150145, 150146, 150147, 150148, 150149, 150150.

150201, 150203, 150204*, 150205^, 150206*, 150207, 150210, 150211*, 150214, 150215, 150218, 150220*, 150222*, 150223*, 150224, 150225, 150226, 150228, 150268, 150269, 150270, 150271, 150272, 150273, 150274, 150275* 150276*$, 150277.

Due: 150001, 150002*; 150101, 150102, 150104, 150105, 150106, 150107, 150108, 150109, 150120, 150121, 150122, 150123, 150124, 150125, 150126*, 150127, 150128, 150129, 150130, 150131; 150202*, 150216*.

Class 155s:
155341, 155342, 155343, 155344, 155345^, 155346*, 155347.

Class 156s:
156420, 156421, 156423, 156424, 156425, 156426, 156427, 156428, 156429, 156438, 156440, 156441, 156443*, 156444*, 156448, 156451*, 156452, 156454*, 156455, 156459, 156460, 156461, 156463*, 156464, 156466, 156468, 156469, 156471*, 156472*, 156475, 156479*, 156480, 156481*, 156482*, 156483*, 156484*, 156486*, 156487*, 156488^, 156489*, 156490, 156491*.

Due: 1564??, 1564??, 1564??, 1564??, 1564??.

Class 158s:
2-car: 158784, 158787, 158790, 158791, 158792, 158793, 158794, 158795, 158796, 158797, 158815, 158816, 158817, 158842, 158843, 158844, 158845*, 158848, 158849, 158850, 158851, 158853, 158855, 158859, 158860*, 158861, 158872, 158901, 158902, 158903, 158904, 158905, 158906, 158907, 158908, 158909, 158910.

3-car: 158752*, 158753*, 158754*, 158755^, 158756*, 158757, 158758, 158759.

Due: 158782, 158786, 158789, 158867, 158868, 158869, 158870, 158871.

Note: 158906 is fitted with WiFi, charging points and a PIS in one carriage.

Class 170s:
170453, 170454, 170455, 170456, 170457, 170458, 170459, 170460, 170461, 170472, 170473, 170474, 170475, 170476, 170477, 170478.

Class 319s:
319361*, 319362*, 319363*, 319364*, 319365*, 319366*, 319367*, 319368*, 319369*, 319370*, 319371, 319374*, 319375*, 319376, 319377*, 319378, 319379*, 319380, 319381*$, 319382*, 319383, 319384*$, 319385$, 319386.

319424*, 319431*^, 319434*F, 319442^, 319448*, 319450*, 319456*F, 319458*^.

Class 333s:
333001, 333002, 333003, 333004, 333005, 333006, 333007, 333008, 333009, 333010, 333011, 333012, 333013, 333014, 333015, 333016.

If anybody notices any mistakes, or has information on the PRM status of the units expected to arrive, please let me know.
 
Last edited:

47802

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
3,454
Ah I see. I guess they sanded out all the scratches and used new bolts so they look new.

Correct if I'm wrong but they are not the original seats as built though are they? unlike the 158's where most other franchise 158's have had new seating except Northern, as for fitting new seats in the 158's I will believe when I see it.

On the M62 yesterday just so happens 2 northern trains passed by on bridges in front of me a 319 and a 158, both in the new colour scheme which ok even allowing for the fact they are not weather worn yet I think its a much better livery it stands out more, where the old colour scheme to me made the trains look old, dull, and dreary.
 
Last edited:

mikemcniven

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2016
Messages
381
Location
Manchester
Correct if I'm wrong but they are not the original seats as built though are they? unlike the 158's where most other franchise 158's have had new seating except Northern, as for fitting new seats in the 158's I will believe when I see it.

On the M62 yesterday just so happens 2 northern trains passed by on bridges in front of me a 319 and a 158, both in the new colour scheme which ok even allowing for the fact they are not weather worn yet I think its a much better livery it stands out more, where the old colour scheme to me made the trains look old, dull, and dreary.

Won't have been a 158 passing you, I assume it must have been a 156 or 150 as the 158 don't run in the same area's near the M62
 

lejog

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2015
Messages
1,323
???? I cross the M62 on a bridge travelling on a 158 south of Rochdale on a regular basis. I believe the M62 is also bridged by the Chat Moss line/
 

mikemcniven

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2016
Messages
381
Location
Manchester
Yes they do, they cross the M62 just south of Castleton.

I mean by a 319 and a 158 crossing at the same point on the M62

???? I cross the M62 on a bridge travelling on a 158 south of Rochdale on a regular basis. I believe the M62 is also bridged by the Chat Moss line/

But the 319's cross between Partinscroft and Newton-le-Willows where as the 158's cross at Castleton
 
Last edited:

47802

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
3,454
Won't have been a 158 passing you, I assume it must have been a 156 or 150 as the 158 don't run in the same area's near the M62

I did say Bridges not Bridge, I think I know a 158 when I see one, not that its particularly relevant to the thread I was mainly commenting on the paint scheme.
 
Last edited:

Bovverboy

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
2,098
Another update. Thanks to 1179_Clee2, 158722 and M1544 for their recent updates.

If anybody notices any mistakes, or has information on the PRM status of the units expected to arrive, please let me know.

You have 156489 recorded as being in base Northern livery - it does differ from the 'white' 319s in that it has blue ends, although nothing else, that I could see.

From my afternoon's travels I have recorded 156479 and one other 156 as being in full livery. I'm sure that 156479 was, but I wasn't paying quite so much attention when the other was passing, so I think I'll chicken out, until I see it again, from saying it's in the new colours.
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
You have 156489 recorded as being in base Northern livery - it does differ from the 'white' 319s in that it has blue ends, although nothing else, that I could see.

From my afternoon's travels I have recorded 156479 and one other 156 as being in full livery. I'm sure that 156479 was, but I wasn't paying quite so much attention when the other was passing, so I think I'll chicken out, until I see it again, from saying it's in the new colours.

Thanks, I've added those two to the list.
 

tom1649

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
990
Correct if I'm wrong but they are not the original seats as built though are they?

The 155s were originally fitted with Ashbourne seating. They had grey moquette with red chevrons as per the original 156 seating.
 

Top