• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments and depot allocations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
I'm surprised they haven't Considered putting 7x153s as middle inner cars into the 7 modified 155s to create 3 car class 155 sets. The 153 could have its cabs decommissioned and the toilet taken out as there would already be the new loo in the 155 cars. The space could be used for extra seats and luggage in the middle car. And by decommissioning the 153 cabs would give a permanent 3 car unit.

I don't think it would be worth it, and I don't think one toilet for a three car unit would be enough either.
 
Last edited:

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,198
I don't think it would be worth it, and I don't think one toilet for a three car unit would be enough either.

Pretty sure that's exactly what toilets the 3-car 150s will have as I believe the ones which are to be centre cars are having the toilets removed.
7 3-car 153/155 hybrid set does make some sort of sense rather than hybrid 150s but obviously that's what Arriva put in the bid so that's what will happen.
 

Geeves

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2009
Messages
2,646
Location
Rochdale
Northern don't have any DMUs with PIS that does anything other than state the final destination.

The system is the same system that Scotrail use only we at Northern are apparently missing some computer coding to make it work properly :roll::roll::roll:.
 

CosherB

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2007
Messages
3,041
Location
Northwich
Maybe DRS should buy a fleet of 153s and convert them into 4-car 2020-compliant units, and send them on lease to Northern to, say, Cumbria ..... ;)
 

superkev

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2015
Messages
2,871
Location
west yorkshire
The economics of spending anything on 30 year old trains particularly the rust afflicted 153s and 155s must be very shaky. Luke the 142 they are based on a Leyland national bus body with a designed life of 15 years.
I suspect rust stains round the rivetts may soon ruin that nice new 155 white paint scheme.
Kev
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
I'm currently sat on a/the refurbished 155 and I have to say it has a very pleasing light and sorry ambience. They could probably have done with removing a row of seats and moving all the others up for extra leg room, but overall a nice train.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
Further to my post yesterday, I do have a criticism.

The accessible toilet is far too close to wall, so much so that it's impossible to sit on it comfortably. Even the toilets on a Hastings gauge thumper, which are quite snug, are less cramped.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,858
Location
West of Andover
This is when Apple or Google will decide to change the logo to their app stores :lol:

The 156s do look smart in the new livery
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
156472 currently returning from Crewe LNWR with the "n" in different colours compared with others.

I suppose it's variety if nothing else.

It's good to hear units are being repainted at a good pace now, anyway. I think so far, the 156s look the smartest in the new livery. I'm looking forward to seeing how the 333s turn out in the new livery, hopefully we see one sooner rather than later.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
So much for consistency :|

The trains aren't consistent - 150s have short carriages and 2+3 seating, 156s have long carriages and 2+2 seating and tables - why should the livery be identical? In the early days of the old Northern franchise (when most trains were still in their old liveries) I regularly caught a service booked as 2 x 156s - it was quite common for an ex-FNW 156 and an ex-ATN 156 to turn up together on the service. For me the difference in livery made it easy to determine whether one set had nicer seating than the other set.
 

Bwlch y Groes

Member
Joined
22 Jul 2017
Messages
210
The 156472 livery is the one we're taking forward. All the other refurbs will be converted to that over time. It also has the "by Arriva" strapline which is going to be gradually rolled out as well
 

superkev

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2015
Messages
2,871
Location
west yorkshire
I'm currently sat on a/the refurbished 155 and I have to say it has a very pleasing light and sorry ambience. They could probably have done with removing a row of seats and moving all the others up for extra leg room, but overall a nice train.
If it's true they haven't improved the Northern designed for someone with no legs seat spacing I will be avoiding them. No one else gets around 80 odd seats in 23m.
K
 

mikemcniven

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2016
Messages
381
Location
Manchester
Northern have tweeted an image of 156472 with the new "n" and "Northern by arriva"

DGDpPOuXsAASXQD.jpg:large
 

CosherB

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2007
Messages
3,041
Location
Northwich
So they've decided not to say Arriva is a DB company. I wonder if that hints at DB planning to float Arriva?

It also looks like the previously mooted new Arriva typeface, rather than the current example in use that uses capitals.

Font froth ..... :lol:
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,508
Location
Cheshire
So they've decided not to say Arriva is a DB company. I wonder if that hints at DB planning to float Arriva?

I suspect it is more to do with what they can & can't put on the vinyls. Arriva Yorkshire have just taken delivery of a load of new Enivro 400s to work some Leeds-Castleford services (163/166) which all have Arriva a DB Company quite clearly displayed.
 
Last edited:

Bwlch y Groes

Member
Joined
22 Jul 2017
Messages
210
It also looks like the previously mooted new Arriva typeface, rather than the current example in use that uses capitals.

Font froth ..... :lol:

Bingo

All the other Arriva TOCs (presumably except ATW) are adding this strapline. Grand Central HQ in York already has their updated logo outside their front door
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
I've just sat on one of Arriva's whizzy new double decker buses which have free wifi and a plethora of USB ports.

I can't help thinking that such luxuries would be better used adorning a 158 on a three hour Leeds to Carlisle service than a short bus hop. I've seen a 158 so adorned, however I'm told its a one off not to be repeated sadly :(
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
I've just sat on one of Arriva's whizzy new double decker buses which have free wifi and a plethora of USB ports.

I can't help thinking that such luxuries would be better used adorning a 158 on a three hour Leeds to Carlisle service than a short bus hop. I've seen a 158 so adorned, however I'm told its a one off not to be repeated sadly :(

I'm not sure why, because the Northern franchise agreement states all units in the fleet will have WiFi installed. I can't find (or remember) anything which mentions the installation of USB charging points though, hopefully someone else will be able to clarify that.
 

Bornin1980s

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2017
Messages
720
The 156472 livery is the one we're taking forward. All the other refurbs will be converted to that over time. It also has the "by Arriva" strapline which is going to be gradually rolled out as well

Well, the new 'n' colours maybe an improvement, and they match the 195s under construction, but why can't we have both? The 'n' lends itself to different colours, and I was hoping to see some variation. And why can't they make up their mind on the brand?

If they can waste money revynaling already revynled trains, why can't they at least put their brand on the Pacers?
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
If they can waste money revynaling already revynled trains, why can't they at least put their brand on the Pacers?

It won't be a complete re-vinyl of the units, and vinyls cost very little anyway. All that is going to be changed are presumably some of the "N" circles and the addition of the "By Arriva" vinyl underneath the existing Northern logo.

The new livery and brand is only being applied to units which are going to be refurbished, and as the 142s, 144s, 153s, 321s, 322s and 323s are all going off lease before 2020, they are not going to be refurbished or repainted.
 
Last edited:

Top