Masbroughlad
Established Member
About time these services were strengthened. 2 car unit left Sheffield this evening full to the rafters (again).
About time these services were strengthened. 2 car unit left Sheffield this evening full to the rafters (again).
About time these services were strengthened. 2 car unit left Sheffield this evening full to the rafters (again).
Good idea, you go get the units, pay for the leasing fees, the maintenance, stabling etc etc and I am sure Northern would be very happy to accept them!
How many threads have we had moaning about northern so far this month?
Yes I know its only the 2nd!
You would think that the number of times we post about the (stupid) way the Northern franchise was let that even the thickest person would know about it by now, but no every couple of weeks its the same old drivel! :roll:
Good idea, you go get the units, pay for the leasing fees, the maintenance, stabling etc etc and I am sure Northern would be very happy to accept them!
How many threads have we had moaning about northern so far this month?
Yes I know its only the 2nd!
You would think that the number of times we post about the (stupid) way the Northern franchise was let that even the thickest person would know about it by now, but no every couple of weeks its the same old drivel! :roll:
As I mentioned in another thread, the Hallam line (which is the Northern half of the Nottingham - Leeds line) has been going through something of a meltdown.
Had a short formed 2 carriage Pacer this morning on the stopper and stood on the way in. The same short formed pacer was waiting for me for the journey back at 17:37 (a train which is packed as a three car). I went to the pub for an hour.
Last week, I tried to catch the one fast train in the morning that stops at my station to get to a meeting. This is usually a 150, but was a 2 car pacer. People were left on the platform and I caught the next one.
I've also had a couple of trains arrive half an hour late and a cancellation - all within seven days.
I've seen a few trains to and from Leeds much busier than normal recently. Perhaps a bus to Wakefield might help you out for an earlier arrival at Leeds.
All Northerns profits go to Holland, hence no money for new stock.
All Northerns profits go to Holland, hence no money for new stock.
Does it matter where the profits go? Any profits made are fairly small when compared to (a) the subsidy required to keep Northern going and (b) the cost of all of the "magic wand" improvements that people on here want to make to services.
DaFT really need to give some money to improve the services in the north, for example give Northern the money to get more stock that isn't old stuff coming off other routes.
As far as the Northern franchise is concerned, serving Nottingham is an innovation more than it is a core prospect. If I am honest I can think of some slightly better uses of the stock than through trains beyond Sheffield, so it's just good luck that Northern are able to provide that at all.
It's not a bad little service and usually a 158. It's good that we do have a regional service between Leeds and Nottingham.
I'd rather the 158 used on a route where people might actually make the end-to-end journey sensibly. Because it goes via Barnsley it's quicker to change at Sheffield than it is to use the Northern service throughout...
I'd rather the 158 used on a route where people might actually make the end-to-end journey sensibly. Because it goes via Barnsley it's quicker to change at Sheffield than it is to use the Northern service throughout...
The service is fine, and unfortunately on some weekday services it is carting fresh air between Sheffield and Nottingham.
I have an idea that I know people on here straight away will say "what a stupid idea" but what the he'll I might as well go for it.....
On a Sunday they have 1 service going to and from Carlisle, so why not have X amount of service a day (let's say 3) going to Carlisle from Nottingham?
Northern wouldn't lose any customers as it's basically connecting 2 services into 1 calling at all all the stops that it usually does.
Obviously train mileage would be an issue, bit that would leave 1 or maybe 2 units free for other services.
Not all the Leeds expresses go all the way to Nottingham anyway so all it would mean is extending those expresses to Nottingham.
Just an idea and like I said someone will be along in a minute to say what a stupid idea
The service is fine, and unfortunately on some weekday services it is carting fresh air between Sheffield and Nottingham.
I have an idea that I know people on here straight away will say "what a stupid idea" but what the he'll I might as well go for it.....
On a Sunday they have 1 service going to and from Carlisle, so why not have X amount of service a day (let's say 3) going to Carlisle from Nottingham?
Northern wouldn't lose any customers as it's basically connecting 2 services into 1 calling at all all the stops that it usually does.
Obviously train mileage would be an issue, bit that would leave 1 or maybe 2 units free for other services.
Not all the Leeds expresses go all the way to Nottingham anyway so all it would mean is extending those expresses to Nottingham.
Just an idea and like I said someone will be along in a minute to say what a stupid idea
JonathanH:1992530 said:The biggest problem with linking the Nottingham and Carlisle trains at Leeds would be the need for the service to cross the entire layout at Leeds. The Woodlesford route is the Southernmost at Leeds and the Skipton route the most northerly one (if you ignore the Harrogate line splitting off a few miles out of Leeds).
Good idea, you go get the units, pay for the leasing fees, the maintenance, stabling etc etc and I am sure Northern would be very happy to accept them!
How many threads have we had moaning about northern so far this month?
Yes I know its only the 2nd!
You would think that the number of times we post about the (stupid) way the Northern franchise was let that even the thickest person would know about it by now, but no every couple of weeks its the same old drivel! :roll: