ralphchadkirk
Established Member
Isn't there a minimum age before being allowed to post on this forum? :roll:
I think you've answered your own question with that statement...
Isn't there a minimum age before being allowed to post on this forum? :roll:
Fair game.
I think you've answered your own question with that statement...
At my organisation, I get 30 days annual leave, plus the 8 bank holidays, giving a total of 38 days leave per year. My working week is Monday-Friday. If our station staff work an average of 5 day/week shifts (so the same number of days per week worked as me), then they get a similar amount of annual leave, but as they have to work the bank holidays they get the extra 8 days bundled in with all their annual leave, so the days worked per annum should be roughly the same.I don;t see how someone who works Mon - Fir is losing out. They still get their Saturday and Sunday off, so by your own argument, why should they get two extra days off?
Definite articles have a capital letter.
Proper NAMEs, and Uncommon NOWNS.
Some of Us got an Education.
A Person is a definite article, so I, Me, US He She and It should have a capital letter at the beginning. Just because "Modern" Teaching Methods have fallen into poor Grammar.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You mean an UPPER Age, as I'm nearly 85.
Definite articles have a capital letter.
Proper NAMEs, and Uncommon NOWNS.
Some of Us got an Education.
A Person is a definite article, so I, Me, US He She and It should have a capital letter at the beginning. Just because "Modern" Teaching Methods have fallen into poor Grammar.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You mean an UPPER Age, as I'm nearly 85.
You mean an UPPER Age, as I'm nearly 85.
At my organisation, I get 30 days annual leave, plus the 8 bank holidays, giving a total of 38 days leave per year. My working week is Monday-Friday. If our station staff work an average of 5 day/week shifts (so the same number of days per week worked as me), then they get a similar amount of annual leave, but as they have to work the bank holidays they get the extra 8 days bundled in with all their annual leave, so the days worked per annum should be roughly the same.
Now obviously I don't know the situation at Northern, maybe they only run to a 363 day year or Christmas/Boxing day doesn't count as a bank holiday for them, I don't know.
I've said it before, and i'll say it again, think what you like about Bob, but he doesn't half get more media coverage than he (and the union) really deserve. I also find it pretty amusing myself at the attitude, 'you are lucky to have a job', because i don't think i was lucky getting it, just better than X amount of other applicants! I believe there is a right to withdraw labour in our dear nation, with some notable exceptions of course, so if the Northern lads and lassies want to strike, that is up to them, and if you don't like it, lump it. No offence intended of course. Just my objective view.
Isn't there a minimum age before being allowed to post on this forum? :roll:
Definite articles have a capital letter.
Proper NAMEs, and Uncommon NOWNS.
Some of Us got an Education.
A Person is a definite article, so I, Me, US He She and It should have a capital letter at the beginning. Just because "Modern" Teaching Methods have fallen into poor Grammar.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You mean an UPPER Age, as I'm nearly 85.
Anybody criticizes My posts again with this illiterate claptrap needs to really get a life.
Do Northern get extra revenue on these Days?
Do the Ticket prices go up to compensate the Employer?
Are there huge numbers of extra Passengers on these Days, so the Staff have to work harder? or, as I believe, the Trains are running almost empty?
My pension won't be going up for the 27/28th.
As for crap from Management, You mean expecting People to work for a living? There are plenty of folks working hard over the Christmas Hol's, including Christmas Day and Boxing Day, for a lot less than Your Basic.
What a pompous attitude to take. I'm better then you because I got the job and you didn't. There are thousands of people in public service who are about to lose their jobs. Rail staff have got off lightly in comparison. I'll defend your right to strike but please show a bit of humility to others who are less fortunate. By the way, the tax payer pays a large subsidy to Northern. Most people who live in their operating area never use trains. Some would argue that the subsidy should be cut ! Discuss

By the way Scotsman, RMT.![]()
Hear hear....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anybody criticizes My posts again with this illiterate claptrap needs to really get a life.
Do Northern get extra revenue on these Days?
Do the Ticket prices go up to compensate the Employer?
Are there huge numbers of extra Passengers on these Days, so the Staff have to work harder? or, as I believe, the Trains are running almost empty?
My pension won't be going up for the 27/28th.
As for crap from Management, You mean expecting People to work for a living? There are plenty of folks working hard over the Christmas Hol's, including Christmas Day and Boxing Day, for a lot less than Your Basic.
I would be too, if I were getting paid for any of this!
Most people who live in their operating area never use trains. Some would argue that the subsidy should be cut ! Discuss
Don't get me wrong, there are many things i don't like about the RMT, but talk about getting issues into the limelight ? Max Clifford couldn't do a better job!
I think bank holidays are important. We have a certain number in this country and those that are required to work on them should be compensated for that
I agree, unless their contracts make no provision for that extra pay (or they signed away their right to special treatment of such days at a previous contract negotiation).
It's not about what's ideal, its about what is in the Northern contracts.
Well, I can see your point - but only if the entitlement was signed over for some specific tangiable benefit in lieu which if subsequently surrendered would lead automatically to the re-instatement of the holiday rights. And obviously that doesn't include additional bank holidays for purposes of national celebration as these wouldn't have existed when the agreement was signed.
I've made a distinction between "unexpected" Bank Holidays (Royal Weddings, Jubilee etc) which you can't predict, and "expected" ones. Since Christmas Day is at the weekend in roughly 30% of years there will be this situation happening fairly often.
That's fair enough - as long as there was something fairly heavily de-lineated and tangeable that the ordinary bank holidays had been swapped for.
I don't know what the negotiations were, but regardless of what deals were done at what price, if the deal was done then you can't strike because you're not getting something (which you already sacrificed).
If the staff want to get enhanced pay on these days, then fair enough, but there's give and take, and you can't swap something away then strike because you've lost it. Everyone *says* they want a mature relationship between staff/ management/ unions, but this doesn't look like the way to do it.
Plus the fact that many newer employees may not have been party to the original negotiations, depending on how long ago they were.
One two may r's in paraphrase.
But they will have accepted their contract without it in the first place, so that's not particularly relevant.