Hi,
I’ve received a fine for boarding a train at the wrong station. The reason on my fine is (other) boarded at wrong station on advance ticket (split journey).
I’ve not seen anyone receive a ticket for this reason and would like some advice please.
So I had a ticket for York - Harrogate, however due to running late, I got a lift to an easier to get the station, Poppleton, and boarded there. This is the stop after York. I didn’t assume this to be an issue as I still had a ticket for the full journey.
As the conductor came round to check tickets he asked from tickets from Poppleton which I showed him my ticket and my railcard. He then asked why I boarded at Poppleton to which I explained running late for work ect.
He explained that he was penalty fare staff, showed me his ID to which I apologised for the genuine mistake and told him I know for future and wouldn’t do it again, and offered to buy a new ticket. He said he was attempting to catch repeat offenders and that I wouldn’t get a fine but he needed some details which I provided.
He then printed off a fine, took a photo and explained if it’s paid in 21 days it’ll be £50 and a price of a new ticket.
Do I have grounds to appeal this and what you would recommend putting?
I’ve received a fine for boarding a train at the wrong station. The reason on my fine is (other) boarded at wrong station on advance ticket (split journey).
I’ve not seen anyone receive a ticket for this reason and would like some advice please.
So I had a ticket for York - Harrogate, however due to running late, I got a lift to an easier to get the station, Poppleton, and boarded there. This is the stop after York. I didn’t assume this to be an issue as I still had a ticket for the full journey.
As the conductor came round to check tickets he asked from tickets from Poppleton which I showed him my ticket and my railcard. He then asked why I boarded at Poppleton to which I explained running late for work ect.
He explained that he was penalty fare staff, showed me his ID to which I apologised for the genuine mistake and told him I know for future and wouldn’t do it again, and offered to buy a new ticket. He said he was attempting to catch repeat offenders and that I wouldn’t get a fine but he needed some details which I provided.
He then printed off a fine, took a photo and explained if it’s paid in 21 days it’ll be £50 and a price of a new ticket.
Do I have grounds to appeal this and what you would recommend putting?