• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail - Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
South London
Got myself an interview for the Station Supervisor job at Morecambe :)

How does recruitment with Northern work? Are they traditional inteviews or do they have recruitment/selection events?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hughesfowler

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2009
Messages
113
Lampshade,

Based on your post I assume you have an interview for that particular post and not going to an open day. Firstly look up Northern values, they were keen on those.

Have you been sent sample test papers for the clerical officers test ? or have you done that already.

Basic questions they will ask are for you to describe various customer service questions and working as part of a team.

You may be asked to describe an instance where you have dealt with a difficult customer and what was the outcome, how have you excelled in customer service.

I think you will get a good grasp from these small instances as to what you will be asked, sorry at the moment can not think of more.
 

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
South London
Lampshade,

Based on your post I assume you have an interview for that particular post and not going to an open day. Firstly look up Northern values, they were keen on those.

Check :)

Have you been sent sample test papers for the clerical officers test ? or have you done that already.

No :shock:

The only thing they've sent me is the uniform order form, but I've done clerical tests for other companies without any problems so I'm guessing it'll be similar.

Basic questions they will ask are for you to describe various customer service questions and working as part of a team.

You may be asked to describe an instance where you have dealt with a difficult customer and what was the outcome, how have you excelled in customer service.

Check :)
 

Mattmatt

Member
Joined
25 Sep 2011
Messages
173
Location
Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
I got the email invite to an interview for the conductors role at Man Pic today. It's next Thursday. I am assuming it's a competency Based Interview, with questions like e.g. can you tell me about a time when you've dealt with an angry customer sort of thing?

Anyone else got an interview?
 
Last edited:

156441

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2011
Messages
501
Location
Manchester
I got the email invite to an interview for the conductors role at Man Pic today. It's next Thursday. I am assuming it's a competency Based Interview, with questions like e.g. can you tell me about a time when you've dealt with an angry customer sort of thing?

Anyone else got an interview?

There is a post about 3/4 down on this page by me about the conductor interviews at Picc! Good luck!

Link
 

hughesfowler

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2009
Messages
113
Well done lampshade, welcome to the family, Mike Elllis the previous supervisor at Morecambe is a good friend of mine, hope you enjoy the job.
 

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
South London

S19

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
275
Ouch, bit of a misunderstanding there, I meant the interview went really well (at least I think it did), I was on my phone when I posted that :oops:

Thanks for the optimism though :lol:

Haha fair enough.

Hopefully welcome to Morecambe then ;)

If you do get offered it and are relocating, drop me a PM and i'll tell you where to avoid etc
 

class86

New Member
Joined
29 Feb 2012
Messages
1
Hi guys can anyone tell me what a Dependability and Safety Instrument test consists of?
Thanks it would be much appreciated.
 

martin2345uk

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2011
Messages
2,409
Location
Essex
Hi guys can anyone tell me what a Dependability and Safety Instrument test consists of?
Thanks it would be much appreciated.

Just do a forum search, there's a great deal of info been posted about the test...
 

Sammy h

Member
Joined
25 May 2011
Messages
420
Nailed it :D

Well done mate.

I work in the booking office in Lancaster, had so many people complaining lately that Morecambe is closed so fingers crossed you will be opening it again soon :)

Enjoy!

EDIT - just read the rest of the thread.. DOH, hopefully welcome to Morecambe!
 

Mattmatt

Member
Joined
25 Sep 2011
Messages
173
Location
Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
I had my Northern Conductors interview yesterday. It went quite well and lasted only 40 mins. I was asked many situational questions and how i'd dealt with situations in the past etc. I was shown around the Man Pic labyrinth that is the North Block! Fingers crossed that answered them correctly.

I was told that there was 500 applicants and they only shortlisted 3! yes 3! and the route is Hadfield.

It was with the Head of Dept and a conductor trainer.

For those who don't know; this is the first step in the process (as I think it works out cheaper to interview first than have a load put through the conductors assessment day)

from there on it's the GB test, Maths & English tests, and then Ticket selling test - (anyone know what this involves? I did a search but didnt get much on this forum)unless i've missed anything.
 

Bellwater

Member
Joined
10 Jan 2010
Messages
522
Location
on a 158
The Ticket Selling Test is a bit of a scenario, you selling tickets from a ticket machine.

Mainly something like working out the fare from x station to x station and giving change.

As long as you read them through and get enough done in time(but dont rush and make mistakes as you'll be marked down)you're be fine, it's fairly straightforward.
 

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
South London
I didn't get the Morecambe job, so it looks like my jubilation at how well the interview went was a bit premature.

They have, however, asked if I want them to put me in for two vacancies at Blackpool - one of which is internal, so it's not all gloom :)
 

S19

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
275
I didn't get the Morecambe job, so it looks like my jubilation at how well the interview went was a bit premature.

They have, however, asked if I want them to put me in for two vacancies at Blackpool - one of which is internal, so it's not all gloom :)

Never mind. It's a **** hole around here anyway :lol:

What roles are at Blackpool?
 

Geeves

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2009
Messages
2,640
Location
Rochdale
Hope you make it through Matt. I have my interview on Tuesday. 40 mins sounds pretty intense! I had heard the the number was 3 internally and 3 externally so I hope to be one of the 3 internal ones :D

I take it there was a lot of questions? Urgh.
 

Mattmatt

Member
Joined
25 Sep 2011
Messages
173
Location
Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
Hope you make it through Matt. I have my interview on Tuesday. 40 mins sounds pretty intense! I had heard the the number was 3 internally and 3 externally so I hope to be one of the 3 internal ones :D

I take it there was a lot of questions? Urgh.

I have made it through to the assessment afternoon, Northern have dropped the role play part of the test, and of course I've already had the structured interview. So fingers crossed.

Anyone else made it through?
 

Geeves

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2009
Messages
2,640
Location
Rochdale
I'm in 8-)

Its at Square One, same place as I went for the last set of tests, they didnt have any computers set up there. Its saying there will be an interview there aswell? Not another, booo!
 

Mattmatt

Member
Joined
25 Sep 2011
Messages
173
Location
Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
I'm in 8-)

Its at Square One, same place as I went for the last set of tests, they didnt have any computers set up there. Its saying there will be an interview there aswell? Not another, booo!

Hi Greeves;

My email says that,

Please note that due to changes in the assessment you will no longer participate in the role play or structured interview section.

Does your email say the same?

as i understand it, its ticket selling, & Checking plus SCAAT or GB test or both & thats it??
 

Wozza

Member
Joined
12 Mar 2012
Messages
6
Hi guys,

I'm new on here but just been reading re the job as conductor too, i've applied and got through interview too and have tests at square one next Thursday too. 10am, and to reitarate my email also said no interview/role play either. Good luck guys, and if you're there next Thursday at 10am i'll see you there.

Wozza

:edit: Do the tests really take as long as 3 hours?
 
Last edited:

156441

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2011
Messages
501
Location
Manchester
:edit: Do the tests really take as long as 3 hours?

Approximately yes. Mainly because you have a break in the middle and because every test has a set of detailed instructions and a practice paper before starting the test!

Good luck.
 

Geeves

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2009
Messages
2,640
Location
Rochdale
Yeah my email says the same. They emailed the practice tests yesterday, not looking too bad I dont think. Quite similar to the despatchers assessment day only after the tests, you then had the interview aswell, of course we already passed that so at least thats a relief.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top