• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail - Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2010
Messages
2,662
The best advice I can give anyone on an interview with Northern wether you are going for a guards or Drivers position is

SAFETY 1st

and there are 2..Yes 2 members of staff on board (Guard and Driver)

remember that and thats the 1st hurdle done
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bubba

Member
Joined
24 Aug 2011
Messages
141
Just back.

Interview was with two chaps who were both sound and did their best to put me at ease. One was asking the questions and the other mainly wrote down my answers. Questions were in a way expanding on my application - life experiences, how would I cope in a crisis, when have I been in a situation when safety was important, etc.

Whilst they do their best to make you feel comfortable, you cant help but be on edge when its a job you really want. And in that situation it is hard to sometimes come across in the right way and give good answers. I know I waffled on at times and probably didnt say enough at others.

I dont really have a clue how it went. I know its an extremely difficult role to get into so its always in the back of my mind that I wont get through. But my fingers will remain crossed.
 

pr6

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2012
Messages
16
Hi, fingers crossed for you mate, did they ask you the dreaded "what is your greatest weakness" question?.I had an interview at Bpn last year and found this hard to answer
 

Bubba

Member
Joined
24 Aug 2011
Messages
141
No I didnt get that one. I think if I had, my answer would have been "not coming across well in interviews" :)
 

Tgh75

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2012
Messages
22
No I didnt get that one. I think if I had, my answer would have been "not coming across well in interviews" :)

Hi bubba I had the same interview at Blackpool north on the 20th march and still haven't heard anything back! Checking my email has become an obsession! Did they say when the assessments dates would be? When they would be in touch?

Hope it goes well for you m8.

Regards
TGH
 

Bubba

Member
Joined
24 Aug 2011
Messages
141
There wasnt any mention about the assessments except that they would more than likely be in Crewe. Training starts towards the back of May so things are gonna happen pretty quick for the lucky ones.

Good luck.
 

P-wak

New Member
Joined
4 Apr 2012
Messages
4
Hello guys, I'm new to the forum and just after some info really. I had an interview on 23rd March for a Driver's job with Northern and have now been invited for the assessment days. The first day is in Manchester and if you're successful then you have to go to Doncaster for the second day a week later. Does anyone know what tests you do on the first day? Any info would be appreciated!
 

tomgb

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2012
Messages
15
Congrats P-wak! :)

From what I've read there is the GB test and some other tests but if you have a search on some of the other threads you will find details plus you can download the GB test so you can practice before hand. I think a lot is to do with your reactions.

...do you have any tips for us on how you passed the interview? What was the trickiest question you found?
 

Tgh75

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2012
Messages
22
Does anyone happen to have a number for Northern recruitment/HR? Cheers.
 

P-wak

New Member
Joined
4 Apr 2012
Messages
4
Congrats P-wak! :)

From what I've read there is the GB test and some other tests but if you have a search on some of the other threads you will find details plus you can download the GB test so you can practice before hand. I think a lot is to do with your reactions.

...do you have any tips for us on how you passed the interview? What was the trickiest question you found?

Cheers! I researched and memorised a lot of stats about Northern which went down well. Trickiest question for me was about multi-tasking - my mind went a bit blank on that one!! The interview was very relaxed compared to ones I've had with other companies and this helped me to give better answers. Good luck to you!
 

Bubba

Member
Joined
24 Aug 2011
Messages
141
The interview was very relaxed compared to ones I've had with other companies and this helped me to give better answers.

Its how interviews should be as it gives the company a better chance of getting inside the real candidate and not one who struggles under the pressure of interview conditions. I was very impressed with yesterday.
 

dugster70

Member
Joined
27 Mar 2012
Messages
85
Thanks, but thats life and it must go on (even though gutted).

Sorry to hear that Bubba, keep the faith, i know by reading your posts that you really have aspirations to be a driver. Next time you are at interview (which will happen) try not to get nervous about how much the job means to you, it will only work against you.

Good luck for the future
 

tomgb

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2012
Messages
15
I agree although as we all know its easier said than done. The problem with nerves is not about personality which can't be score marked, but the nerves fog your brain which prevent giving the best answers.

Suppose we also need to remember this is a £40k job so can appreciate how difficult and long the assessment process can be. Try again Bubba!
 

siross

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2012
Messages
5
I had an interview for the trainee train driver role at Victoria last Wednesday and managed to get through to the Mechanical Aptitude test.

Does anyone have any advice other than practicing the material over and over? I've ordered a simple physics book to give me a bit more of an understanding but the sample questions didn't seem to "in depth" more common sense and logic?

Thanks in advance,

Simon
 

tomgb

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2012
Messages
15
Hi Simon have you been told which test you will be asked to do? Normally the Assessment tests are done in 1 day but as I understand it this time its being split in 2 days the first part in Manchester and then the 2nd part in Doncaster. I'm thinking you will need to do the mechanical test and trainability test in Manchester then if you pass that the safety (GB) test and structured interview in Doncaster. Can anyone confirm if this is always the order? Otherwise could be preparing for physics on the wrong day! Good luck mate!
 

mike78

New Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
4
I had an interview for the trainee train driver role at Victoria last Wednesday and managed to get through to the Mechanical Aptitude test.

Does anyone have any advice other than practicing the material over and over? I've ordered a simple physics book to give me a bit more of an understanding but the sample questions didn't seem to "in depth" more common sense and logic?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Hi Simon

From all the information I have found, the mechanical test is about logic and not too in depth. simple diagrams such as cogs, pulleys, levers, spacial awareness and simple circuit boards etc. I don't think you need and in depth knowledge of physics just a basic mechanical understanding. doing lots of sample tests that I found online have been useful.

I am interested to know why you say you are through to just the mechanical awareness test. I am doing the assessment on the 19th April and although it says it is in 2 parts Manchester and Doncaster it doesn't say what tests are done where and when. do you know something I dont because I am preparing for all the tests at once??

Mike
 

siross

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2012
Messages
5
Sorry I was unclear in my previous post, when I said Mechanical Aptitude test I meant the assessment centre in general, the mechanical part is simply the first part in the guidance.

I'm not aware of which tests they are administering on which day but I emailed them when I received the notification asking the question. If I get an answer I'll post on here for everyone, particularly Mike as it looks like we will be doing it together!

How are you preparing Mike? If you don't mind me asking.

Simon
 

mike78

New Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
4
Ah right ok that would be great if you get a response but i doubt you will!

Dont mind at all. I have been preparing for a week or two now so i know what i am strong on and what i need to practise most. for example the dials test and the trainablility for rules test I seem to be pretty good at so I am not ignoring them, but concentrating on the group bourdon test and the mechanical tests more. I downloaded a guide from howtobecome.co.uk for 10quid which to be honest doesnt tell you a lot more than what northern rail have already sent but it does have a lot of online sample questions and a group bourdon tool which well worth having. I am most bothered about the structured interview so I have been coming up with allsorts of possible questions and my girlfriend has been asking me random questions about what i did, why i did it, could i have done anything different etc etc.
How about you are you doing anything different?
 

siross

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2012
Messages
5
Thanks Mike,

There's nothing really different I've been doing apart from reading around some basic physics to get it into my head, how useful it will be I don't know!

So is the howtobecome.co.uk guide worth it? I was umming and ahhing about it and still haven't decided!

Thanks,

Simon
 

jscho84233

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2012
Messages
77
@ mike78 - and anyone else who have bought from how2become - just to warn you about those online tests, not sure if you are aware - Access to the online testing suite is on a monthly subscription basis. You were given a month free access when you bought the book. If you don't cancel the subscription before the end of the month they will charge you every month. Can't remember exactly how much, but a few quid I think. So, don't forget to cancel the subscription when you have finished using the online testing suite!
 

mike78

New Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
4
Its worth it just for the group bourdon test programme Simon.
The tests are helpful just for the sake of doing different tests as obviously we don't know what is going to come up on the day. The guide is good but a lot of it was irrelevant as i'd already applied and got through the interview.

Thanks for the tip mate. I did know that but i haven't cancelled it yet. Its £4.95 per month if you forget to cancel by email. I wont be forgetting!
 

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,569
There is no need to pay the 'howtobecome' website to access the Group Bourdon practice material. It is available as a free download at: http://www.digital-reality.org.uk/

My own opinion of 'howtobecome' is that it isn't worth the money at all and the information you need is freely available on the internet anyway. As one poster noted it isn't much more than the TOCs send you anyway.
 
Last edited:

steve 54

New Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
1
Hi guys,im new and just got going,all the threads are brill.I have just got an interview next week in manchester for the above roll, I have not been told about any assesment or test, just been told to attend for an interview.

Anyone had an interview for the above role previously,any feedback would be useful.

This process has taken only 1 month, I also applied for another customer service role in Liverpool in January, still not heard anythin yet re this job, anyone know if its filled yet, my area just says I have passed online assesment.

thanks.ste.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
A general interview will have questions such as what experience you can bring to the role (such as customer service etc), if you have been in some sort of safety critical work before or how you have handled a difficult situation, then probably what do you know about the company and why do you want to work for them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top