lemoniepie
Member
In may last year, I bought a railcard on trip (and paid for it). Unknown to me, that railcard could only be issue after booking with Trip. I did not, and I was never issued the railcard. In January this year, I took a train from Oxford to Manchester. This was my first time travelling up north (there has been a few other trips to london and Gatwick). I was checked and failed to produce my railcard. Northern Rail has sent me this threatening letter. I dont mind paying a settlement amount at all, but the last thing I want is a conviction.
I have prepared a draft response below, and I was wondering if anyone could very kindly proofread it for me. Also, I wanted to ask whether this should be sent by post or email. Thank you very much!
"Dear Revenue Enforcement Delivery Manager,
Thank you for your letter on 17 February 2025, and giving me the opportunity to respond.
In mitigation, I would say that I have only recently moved to the UK, so I am unfamiliar with the things that led to this mistake occurring.
On 6 January 2025, I travelled from Oxford to Manchester. I had bought a 16-25 Railcard ticket. I thought I had purchased a railcard in May 2024 on Trip.com. I had already paid for the railcard then. However, unknown to me, for the railcard to be issued I had to book a ticket with Trip. I had not done so, and consequently I did not have a railcard in January 2025 despite honestly thinking that I had one.
I was stopped at Manchester station and asked to show my railcard. When stopped I did not understand the mistake that had been made. I genuinely believed that I had a railcard but could not find it. Later that day, I had realised my mistake and immediately bought a railcard.
I now understand this is a breach of your railway regulations and against the law. I take full responsibility for this mistake and I tender my unreserved apology for everything. I have purchased a railcard and will never make this mistake again. I am keen to ask if you would be prepared to settle this matter without the need for court action.
I would be grateful if you could allow me to pay any fare that I owe and any administrative expenses that my mistake has caused Northern Trains.
A lesson has been learnt and I will always ensure to check my ticket very well before boarding henceforth.
Thank you in advance for your sympathetic consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards"
I have prepared a draft response below, and I was wondering if anyone could very kindly proofread it for me. Also, I wanted to ask whether this should be sent by post or email. Thank you very much!
"Dear Revenue Enforcement Delivery Manager,
Thank you for your letter on 17 February 2025, and giving me the opportunity to respond.
In mitigation, I would say that I have only recently moved to the UK, so I am unfamiliar with the things that led to this mistake occurring.
On 6 January 2025, I travelled from Oxford to Manchester. I had bought a 16-25 Railcard ticket. I thought I had purchased a railcard in May 2024 on Trip.com. I had already paid for the railcard then. However, unknown to me, for the railcard to be issued I had to book a ticket with Trip. I had not done so, and consequently I did not have a railcard in January 2025 despite honestly thinking that I had one.
I was stopped at Manchester station and asked to show my railcard. When stopped I did not understand the mistake that had been made. I genuinely believed that I had a railcard but could not find it. Later that day, I had realised my mistake and immediately bought a railcard.
I now understand this is a breach of your railway regulations and against the law. I take full responsibility for this mistake and I tender my unreserved apology for everything. I have purchased a railcard and will never make this mistake again. I am keen to ask if you would be prepared to settle this matter without the need for court action.
I would be grateful if you could allow me to pay any fare that I owe and any administrative expenses that my mistake has caused Northern Trains.
A lesson has been learnt and I will always ensure to check my ticket very well before boarding henceforth.
Thank you in advance for your sympathetic consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards"
