Ivo
Established Member
That's the problem with the Northern at the moment. Its resources are spread relatively evenly between the two routes, when in practice the Bank branch is far busier. Even then though, the Bank branch isn't exactly the busiest stretch on the Underground; the Central, District, Piccadilly, Victoria and possibly Jubilee are all busier.
Off-peak, I would propose a 16tph frequency on the Bank branch, with 9 continuing to High Barnet, 3 terminating at Finchley Central, and 6 continuing to Mill Hill East (bringing it back into mainstream service); on the Charing Cross branch, I would again say 16, with alternate service terminating at Golders Green (giving 8 to Edgware). Would this be sufficiently busy, or am I missing something?
As for names...
I feel that the Charing Cross route should keep the Northern name. Firstly, if the Bank branch keeps it, the most southerly station is still on the Northern; surely this would be a chance to change that? Secondly, the Charing Cross branch uses an easy but pivotal route axis through London that is effectively the North-South version of the Central. And thirdly, assuming there are no religious issues, I feel that the name "Angel Line", coloured white in the style of the former National Rail routes on the Tube Map, would go well with the Bank branch.
Off-peak, I would propose a 16tph frequency on the Bank branch, with 9 continuing to High Barnet, 3 terminating at Finchley Central, and 6 continuing to Mill Hill East (bringing it back into mainstream service); on the Charing Cross branch, I would again say 16, with alternate service terminating at Golders Green (giving 8 to Edgware). Would this be sufficiently busy, or am I missing something?
As for names...
I feel that the Charing Cross route should keep the Northern name. Firstly, if the Bank branch keeps it, the most southerly station is still on the Northern; surely this would be a chance to change that? Secondly, the Charing Cross branch uses an easy but pivotal route axis through London that is effectively the North-South version of the Central. And thirdly, assuming there are no religious issues, I feel that the name "Angel Line", coloured white in the style of the former National Rail routes on the Tube Map, would go well with the Bank branch.