• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern "delay repay" rovers after Arriva takeover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
1,591
I have one of Northern's "delay repay" one-day rovers that is dated to expire in July 2016. Has anyone seen anything official as to whether or not these tickets can still be used after Arriva take over the franchise at the beginning of next month? Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Someone posted in another thread that they emailed Northern with that query and told they would be accepted on Northern services until the expiry date despite the change of operator.
 

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2013
Messages
2,053
This was the reply I got from "new Northern" (arriva)

"Thank you for your email, I am pleased to tell you that we will be honouring all complimentary tickets until the valid to date.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards"
 

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
1,591
Thanks. That is good news. No rush to use it then. Especially with the added validity once new Northern take over the former TPE services to Blackpool, Barrow and Windermere on April 1st 2016. ;)
 

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
1,591
Will they be valid on any route/services that were previously not operated Northern?

In practice I imagine that there would be no problems. I can't envisage any guards wanting to get into any arguments about "new" Northern and "old" Northern being separate legal entities that just happen to have the same name, or that this Northern service used to be a TransPennine service in the past so that doesn't count!
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,650
Location
Merseyside
I personally would say that the tickets are most likely to be honored on all Arriva Rail North routes (including the new routes). I could imagine problems if you were on another TOC that has taken routes from Northern however.
 

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
1,591
I personally would say that the tickets are most likely to be honored on all Arriva Rail North routes (including the new routes). I could imagine problems if you were on another TOC that has taken routes from Northern however.

AFAIK the only route that Northern is losing is the Barton on Humber branch, but that isn't happening until October 2017.
 

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2013
Messages
2,053
It seems to me that, if one has one of these tickets, and if one decides to trip out with it on any date beginning yesterday and until its stated expiry, then at this moment in time (and going forwards, presumably) there is no official source of information - no map or anything else - that would define the validity as it existed before 1/4; only current route maps (which do include Windermere). So, how could a passenger be expected to know IF this route were to be excluded? I doubt that it practically could be.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,650
Location
Merseyside
I would take the view that as it was issued under the Northern franchise then it would be valid on anything operated now by Arriva Rail North.

Question: Are Arriva Rail North operating the Windermere services already?
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
I would take the view that as it was issued under the Northern franchise then it would be valid on anything operated now by Arriva Rail North.

Question: Are Arriva Rail North operating the Windermere services already?

Technically yes. Although you could well get a TPE train with a TPE crew.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Although the route has transferred to ARN, the trains used may technically still be leased to TPE and the crew may still be employed by them until new rosters/links are drawn up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top