• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No more Travelling Chef on FGW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
The Travelling Chef is definitely a step above the buffet fare. I'm sure that losing the chance to have egg and chips or cheese on toast on the train will be a disappointment to people.

The menu has improved since the TC service was first introduced too. But it doesn't seem to have improved enough to make it viable. I agree that FGW must have good business reasons to withdraw this service.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
I once used the travelling chef service because it was just that a travelling chef. That was the last time I was on such a service. In contrast am fairly often on services with trolleys and I just don't use them. No added value beyond bring my own. Yes it's at seat but my kitchen with food is at home and cheaper. With a chef service I don't mind paying more. Perhaps I'm in the minority.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,899
Location
East Anglia
I once used the travelling chef service because it was just that a travelling chef. That was the last time I was on such a service. In contrast am fairly often on services with trolleys and I just don't use them. No added value beyond bring my own. Yes it's at seat but my kitchen with food is at home and cheaper. With a chef service I don't mind paying more. Perhaps I'm in the minority.

I must admit I never bring my own food when on days out or holiday. The thought of tinfoil & flasks make me cringe. I find it all part of the trip to buy onboard and always have done. Shame the chef is going but will probs still get it at the buffet. Prefer Virgin now as nearly always have plenty of stock. East Coast gone right down hill on that front.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
We sometimes take our own food, sometimes we don't. It depends on how flush we are, how we feel and why we are travelling. I rarely carry food if I am on my own, as I dislike the hassle of dragging things around with me!

I'd certainly be prepared to pay more for freshly prepared food as opposed to pre packed, though.
 

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981
We sometimes take our own food, sometimes we don't. It depends on how flush we are, how we feel and why we are travelling. I rarely carry food if I am on my own, as I dislike the hassle of dragging things around with me!

I'd certainly be prepared to pay more for freshly prepared food as opposed to pre packed, though.

Very good of her to carry your food! :D This reminds me of the old chestnut - customs official to male passenger 'did you pack your case yourself sir?'
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
The Travelling Chef is definitely a step above the buffet fare. I'm sure that losing the chance to have egg and chips or cheese on toast on the train will be a disappointment to people.

The menu has improved since the TC service was first introduced too. But it doesn't seem to have improved enough to make it viable. I agree that FGW must have good business reasons to withdraw this service.

Id just like to point out that they are consulting on it at the moment, they havent said its going to be pulled for sure yet have they?
 

Goatboy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2011
Messages
2,274
How is the demise of Travelling Chef connected to the realignment of First Class accommodation with demand for First Class seating?

Realignment with demand for First class, lol. It was re-aligned with perceived demand for standard class and then demand for First reduced after the event by the removal of many of the Advance fares on offer. I used to travel First frequently and it was always busy - and there was good availability of good value Advance fares.

The link seems a fairly obvious one in theory- with so little First Class accommodation now there, perhaps it is felt that there is a lack of available spare capacity to operate the travelling chef properly? Passing trade from Standard cannot come and sit down and use the chef if all the seats are occupied by non dining First Class passengers who previously would have been sat elsewhere?

Never mind, more space for the Reading commuters who don't want to walk to the vacant Coach A because it's too far down the platform ;)
 
Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
Are there photos anywhere of the refurbished First Class/standard class coaches?
 

Sleepy

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2009
Messages
1,836
Location
East Anglia
Goatboy are you saying the half 1st class by the buffet has been used as an unofficial restaurant car type seating area on services with travelling chef then ?
 
Last edited:

Squaddie

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2009
Messages
1,072
Location
London
I must admit I never bring my own food when on days out or holiday. The thought of tinfoil & flasks make me cringe. I find it all part of the trip to buy onboard and always have done.
The food you can buy at M&S or Little Waitrose at railway stations (or, in Switzerland, the Co-op :) ) is generally better and cheaper than anything that can be purchased on board the train.
 

Bishopstone

Established Member
Joined
24 Jun 2010
Messages
1,689
Location
Seaford
Never mind, more space for the Reading commuters who don't want to walk to the vacant Coach A because it's too far down the platform ;)

There's little more to say that hasn't already been said, but your basic contention is that the 'problem' doesn't really exist: ie anyone standing on a fGW HST does so by choice, because there are seats available somewhere on the train that they won't use. There seems to be quite a lot of equally anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

I'm not sure why occasional travellers from the West Country and South Wales, with bargain basement First Class Advances, should have seating priority over commuters paying £6k per annum or more. Maybe, if these far-flung folk like London so much, they should buy a house there and stop clogging-up the trains? That is, after all, your proposed solution for the Reading commuters.
 

extendedpaul

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
706
Location
Caerphilly and Kent
My occasional "treat" is to book first class on a FGW travelling chef breakfast service to Swansea, and get to Paddington in time for a leisurely visit to the first class lounge on platform 1. The coffee is way better than on the train, quality pastries and fresh fruit, plenty of magazines and comfy chairs... bliss !

The travelling chef then prepares an excellent full breakfast at a very reasonable price. The first advances are good value too. Shame it's likely to change.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Id just like to point out that they are consulting on it at the moment, they havent said its going to be pulled for sure yet have they?

Well the chefs have been told their jobs are going and they are going to be made Customer Hosts, make of that what you will!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No Pullman service runs on Saturday's.

I missed the Saturday bit. :oops:
Thanks for the correction Sleepy and i am sorry for the confusion.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,899
Location
East Anglia
The food you can buy at M&S or Little Waitrose at railway stations (or, in Switzerland, the Co-op :) ) is generally better and cheaper than anything that can be purchased on board the train.

Yeah but I have that for lunch most days anyway. Nice to have a change when travelling around on other Intercity TOCs.
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
There's little more to say that hasn't already been said, but your basic contention is that the 'problem' doesn't really exist: ie anyone standing on a fGW HST does so by choice, because there are seats available somewhere on the train that they won't use. There seems to be quite a lot of equally anecdotal evidence to the contrary.
I work them, he's right.
 

broadgage

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2012
Messages
1,094
Location
Somerset
I have regularly seen HSTs full and standing throughout, but as others post, this is not always the case and some trains are crowded at the London end only.

Would it be possible to fit in coach E a display screen that shows an interior view of coach A ? Thereby illustrating the empty spaces at the front, or not as the case may be.
Passengers standing in E could then make an informed choice as to walking along being worthwhile or not.
On train staff would find the view useful in assessing whether or not passengers should be advised to walk along the train.
 

David Goddard

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
1,515
Location
Ely
The food you can buy at M&S or Little Waitrose at railway stations (or, in Switzerland, the Co-op :) ) is generally better and cheaper than anything that can be purchased on board the train.

Which Little Waitrose shops are you referring to? We haven't opened any at railway stations (yet)

Kings Cross coming later this month....
 

David Goddard

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
1,515
Location
Ely
Oh yes I wondered if Wimbledon Hill might be mentioned.
There is a similar branch just outside Birmingham Snow Hill.

Kings Cross will be the first Little Waitrose to be actually at a station.
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
So tell me, apart from the full english, what is the difference between a baguette made right there and then or one made back at terminal and then heated up?

'Oh but it tastes so much nicer' or something similar no doubt will be the reply.

I'll pick this one up... without stomping my feet. :roll:

You have a choice of fillings - sausage, bacon, smoked salmon. A choice of breads - bagutte, white/brown bloomer. You can have it buttered. You can add extras such as cheese, mushrooms, egg, tomato. You can have some chips and/or a side salad.

And the choice isn't just full English and baguettes. There's a vegetarian breakfast, beans/cheese/eggs on toast, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, omelettes with a choice of fillings, premium gourmet burgers, ham/sausage egg and chips, smoked salmon salad, ham salad.

And pretty much any combination of available items as a 'have it your way' option. I recently had some cheesy chips with some fried mushrooms and a dressed side salad for a very reasonable £4.70. Would I get that prepared at a 'terminal' then heated up on board? I doubt it. Choice and flexibility goes out the window when catering is centrally prepared, versus a proper on board chef.
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
Id just like to point out that they are consulting on it at the moment, they havent said its going to be pulled for sure yet have they?

Having spoken with numerous FGW catering staff, some whom I know very well, the consultation is about the change or role for the chefs, not about a possible unchanged continuation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top