• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nicest Looking Loco/Unit in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
I have to say, I'm impressed that almost no-one is nominating the old slam door EMUs- which really were an utter triumph of function over form
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lewisf

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2009
Messages
381
Location
Kingston/Surbiton
I have to say, I'm impressed that almost no-one is nominating the old slam door EMUs- which really were an utter triumph of function over form
Which is the whole point of the thread, the nicest LOOKING units and locos. I don't think anyone would call the front end of a CEP pretty...

395's look quite sleek, as do some of the artists impressions of the Polaris sets by CSRE.
 

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
1,660
Location
Greater London
Which is the whole point of the thread, the nicest LOOKING units and locos. I don't think anyone would call the front end of a CEP pretty...

395's look quite sleek, as do some of the artists impressions of the Polaris sets by CSRE.

I like the CEPs, they were not pretty more of a 'aquired' taste!
 

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
1,274
I also think the prototype deltic looks great.

Moving us back onto the pornography thread! :oops:;)

Does anybody else have a thing for DB class 218 Rabbits? they are lush (and sound like a Paxman Valenta engined HST in my ears)
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Having been on an EPB at the EKR I would rather a Class 465 over an EPB.

Oh, I'm not saying that the slammers were better than the stock that replaced them- but the function of them was to be cheap and easy to mass produce, with many of them based on existing coaching stock.


Meanwhile, I quite like things such as this- believe it or not, that IS a gangway end.
Or what about this tilting DMU?
 

Smudger105e

Member
Joined
5 Jan 2010
Messages
1,012
Location
N 52° 53.492 W 001° 15.493
The one in front is by far the better looking locomotive :P

Chris

Nah. lol

I have to say, I'm impressed that almost no-one is nominating the old slam door EMUs- which really were an utter triumph of function over form

I thought about the earlier stuff like SUBs, but although I think they look distinctive, pretty they are not!
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
I have to say, I'm impressed that almost no-one is nominating the old slam door EMUs- which really were an utter triumph of function over form

Alas, that's only because I hadn't spotted the thread before. This one's easy. See the Avatar. Of the slammers, no corridoor connection and a pointy end :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I like the 'Electrostars' and I like the 'Slamdoors to (Networkers being my personal favorite)

These enthusiasts who have a 'unrealistic' view of the railway and think anything old is better and the railway 'revolves' around them really get on my nerves. (Not aimed at you at all) :)

Don't get me wrong - a Networker's good looking - but it hasn't got the curves :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
On the subject of front end gangways, I have to point out how stylish the 158/9's still look. Infact, I find it hard to believe that they're about twenty years old. Unfortunately, I fear even a CEP's mother would have difficulty loving it!
 

GazzaB24

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2011
Messages
81
Moving us back onto the pornography thread! :oops:;)

Does anybody else have a thing for DB class 218 Rabbits? they are lush (and sound like a Paxman Valenta engined HST in my ears)

Yep I do, but catch some of the non-valenta engined ones if possible, much noisier!

Also, I'll put a word in for the Irish 071's, look good and sound superb. GM's without the silencers.

As far as UK is concerned then its probably a Deltic with 40's & 37's a close second.

Unitwise its a 165.
 

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
1,274
Yep I do, but catch some of the non-valenta engined ones if possible, much noisier!

Also, I'll put a word in for the Irish 071's, look good and sound superb. GM's without the silencers.

As far as UK is concerned then its probably a Deltic with 40's & 37's a close second.

Unitwise its a 165.

you were doing so well until you mentioned 165's! :lol:

unit wise I think Blue Pullman sets, Brighton Belle and 309's are the sexiest!
 

Yank 119

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2008
Messages
97
Location
Florence, South Carolina, USA
2153.1297000581.jpg


Norfolk & Western Class J - one of few classes of steam locos in the US to routinely operate over 100 mph.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%26W_J_class_%281941%29

For diesel and electric, it's hard. My interests lie both with American and European railways. So many differences, very difficult to pick favourites.
 

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
Personally, I'd go for this in original form, as illustrated; closely followed by this in this particular colour scheme. With diesels, either the original Deltic or an HST in IC Swallow (provided it's clean). With electrics, not much beats one of the original WCML a.c. machines, especially the AL1 for some reason. For units, probably a Wessex in NSE - although I'd love to have seen one in Swallow just to compare.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top