I'm expecting EMT to lose - not because they've done anything wrong, but because currently Stagecoach have two of the three Inter City franchises heading north from London. On the whole I think EMT do a good job - they're likely to get the blame (unreasonably IMO) for the next timetable change which is being done in preparation for the 2 tph to Corby.
I'm no fan of them, but First have to be in with a shout - apart from their bus interests in Leicester and Sheffield and TPE running through Sheffield they don't have much of a presence - whereas Stagecoach have bus operations alongside the MML from Bedford to Leicester, all across Lincolnshire, an area of East Midlands and Sheffield including the tram.
Stagecoach had all of those bus/tram operations when they took over EMT, so it wasn't a problem for the Government back then.
Similarly the Government were happy enough to award them (and Virgin) the East Coast franchise - despite the other bus and train operations - the only concern was a minor one in the Grantham area.
Similarly, First were awarded SWR despite running GWR - giving them a monopoly on London - Bristol/ Devon (and also running buses in Hampshire).
Arrive have presumably been cleared to bid, despite running Northern and Cross Country.
I think enthusiasts worry about this kind of thing a lot more than the Government do.
I do find all these 'x will win, y will win' etc posts irritating because it's patently obvious that at present, nothing has happened or is happening - the services the franchise will operate haven't even been determined yet
You and me both!
as a daily commuter whose local station is (I believe) the busiest station on the network served solely by EMT (although you'd never guess that from the service pattern) I haven't seen anything in the last few years to suggest that they're in any way above average
It'd help if you explained where that was... somewhere between Bedford and Leicester?
train advertising (much of which is painfully insulting and patronising) has made the use of headphones while travelling a neciessity, all advertising for non-London destinations has been dropped (they clearly don't care about anyone not travelling to/from London
Stagecoach know the commercial realities of the markets that they operate in.
Presumably their evidence shows them that people are more likely to make spur-of-the-moment decisions to do leisure journeys to London, but less likely to have a jaunt to Stoke, Corby or Loughborough?
Although, a dogbox in VT livery does look 'interesting':
I like that a lot more than I thought I would!
Fifteen minutes free WiFi in standard - what a joke, even some the local bus operators manage unlimited duration. I know, I know, someone will say Stagecoach weren't obliged to provide it as part of the franchise terms, but they should and they could if they wanted to
Can I point out that Stagecoach weren't ob... oh, wait, you beat me to it
