• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New toilets at London Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjwri

Established Member
Joined
16 Jan 2022
Messages
3,326
Location
London
Network Rail has announced the installation of 38 new toilets at London Bridge station:
We are carrying out a £4.8m project at London Bridge station to add a further 38 toilets to improve the experience for all passengers.
We are installing more toilets to meet passenger demand.

The new toilet facilities will be a mixture of female units (23 including ambulant, family accessible and standard), male units (12 including standard, accessible, ambulant) and 3 unisex toilets: accessible, accessible with baby change and gender neutral.

The new toilets use state of the art technology to reduce cost, CO2e emissions and water consumption.
It’s unclear what side of the gatelines these are, but regardless I’m left questioning how they are managing to spend £4.8 million on this project? Commercial toilet installations for around 10 toilets is normally in the high tens of thousands or just into the hundreds of thousands. I struggle to see so much more is being spent on this.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2010
Messages
7,436
Network Rail has announced the installation of 38 new toilets at London Bridge station:


It’s unclear what side of the gatelines these are, but regardless I’m left questioning how they are managing to spend £4.8 million on this project? Commercial toilet installations for around 10 toilets is normally in the high tens of thousands or just into the hundreds of thousands. I struggle to see so much more is being spent on this.
Complete speculation but are parts of the station listed? Also is there access to sewerage and water in the necessary location or are those having to be added?
 

MrB

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2016
Messages
389
Location
London
Toilets will be located before the gateline on Stainer St, hoardings for the work are already up.
 

RUK

Member
Joined
5 Aug 2009
Messages
481
Location
East of England
The taps and hand-soap dispensers in the provided images look like the awful ones at the fairly recently refurbished London Liverpool Street toilets - the sensors for them and for the under-mirror hand dryers seem to be oddly far back, so you have to wave one hand about further back while wetting/drying the other hand - it’s hard to do both at once, and sometimes they simply don’t work. I’ve seen the soap dispensers at Liverpool Street broken and hanging off at an angle, and it isn’t uncommon for the taps and hand-dryers to be not working, or their sensors seemingly simply not working, even if you wave your hand about further back, which usually seems to work. The urinals in the images also seem to be very oddly narrow. The urinals at London Liverpool Street are often broken, too, with maybe more than half of them being out of use sometimes, which makes me wonder if Network Rail cheaped out on all of the equipment which they installed in the toilets.
 
Last edited:

lookapigeon

Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
190
If the Liverpool Street ones are the same design as the ones in Victoria, the heavy doors on the cubicles seem to get broken easily, I saw a few in the men's sans door.
 

alistairlees

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2016
Messages
4,416
Network Rail has announced the installation of 38 new toilets at London Bridge station:


It’s unclear what side of the gatelines these are, but regardless I’m left questioning how they are managing to spend £4.8 million on this project? Commercial toilet installations for around 10 toilets is normally in the high tens of thousands or just into the hundreds of thousands. I struggle to see so much more is being spent on this.
I'm afraid that Network Rail is an organisation that measures its success by how much it spends, rather than how muuch it delivers. This is why you always see info about £xxm expenditure, rather than what the benefits are, what the need / requirement is, or how this compares with expenditure in other industries.
 

davews

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2021
Messages
1,016
Location
Bracknell
What are the timescales? I see the ones at Waterloo are now not scheduled to open until August 2024, they had better be good for it to take them 18 months!
 

NSEWonderer

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2020
Messages
2,909
Location
London
£126,315 roughly per toilet(ignoring the sinks and dryers etc :D), some expensive flushes I see coming.
 

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,276
I was going to mention this as I saw the area on Saturday, but forgot!

The existing toilets are ridiculously small, a ludicrous choice to spend an absolute fortune on rebuilding London Bridge, and then speccing such a pathetic facility, as the only toilets at the station, especially when many trains serving London Bridge either don't have toilets (or they're pretty grotty).
 

Recessio

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2019
Messages
1,538
Location
London
Maybe they'll so something at Stratford. It needs it.
A thermonuclear bomb? Genuinely the worst public toilets I've ever seen, if we're talking about the ones by the DLR platforms. Regularly looks like the toilets from that scene in the film Trainspotting...
I was going to mention this as I saw the area on Saturday, but forgot!

The existing toilets are ridiculously small, a ludicrous choice to spend an absolute fortune on rebuilding London Bridge, and then speccing such a pathetic facility, as the only toilets at the station, especially when many trains serving London Bridge either don't have toilets (or they're pretty grotty).
I also think the current ones aren't that easy to find either. I agree with you, hopefully these new ones rectify the baffling decisions made with the current ones.
 

Trackman

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
4,293
Location
Lewisham
£126,315 roughly per toilet(ignoring the sinks and dryers etc :D), some expensive flushes I see coming.
Smart toilets apparently (??), saving energy water etc.. NR must get their money back in 2097 or something.
Genuinely the worst public toilets I've ever seen, if we're talking about the ones by the DLR platforms. Regularly looks like the toilets from that scene in the film Trainspotting...
Might be worthy of a new thread this. Hull Paragon springs to mind when you mention the film 'trainspotting'.
 

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,276
A thermonuclear bomb? Genuinely the worst public toilets I've ever seen, if we're talking about the ones by the DLR platforms. Regularly looks like the toilets from that scene in the film Trainspotting...
The old ones on the through platforms at London Bridge were pretty grim. Handy though.

One platform was missing a gents, as that was destroyed by an IRA bomb...
 

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,783
Maybe they'll so something at Stratford. It needs it.
It's been a while since I needed sanitary relief there (pre covid) but then I had to trek out to Westfield as the station ones were closed and appeared to be permanently so.
 

Trackman

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
4,293
Location
Lewisham
The old ones on the through platforms at London Bridge were pretty grim. Handy though.

One platform was missing a gents, as that was destroyed by an IRA bomb...
There were a gents on P2 I think (a brick building with urinals in it), I remember needing the loo and thought I would wait until I got to the platform.. it had been surgically removed a week earlier and no trace was to be seen, remember being stood on the spot now. I just avoid London bridge now, they have made a right hash of it.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
All of network rails recent toilet projects seem to be disaster areas in the making for one reason or another. They spent ages and lots doing the ones at Edinburgh but when I was in there not so long ago they were various bits not working and tiles hanging off the wall and all sorts, embarrassing for an 18 month old set of toilets. If you ask me I don't think it will be all that long until it goes full circle and they start charging for them again purely so the upkeep and maintenance can be done properly

All that said, I welcome these upgrade London bridge who's provision has seemed inadequate to me
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,850
Location
Epsom
All of network rails recent toilet projects seem to be disaster areas in the making for one reason or another.
They're basically making a bog of it...? :lol::rolleyes:


Another station that needs more capacity is St Pancras - specifically the set of toilets immediately opposite the Eurostar arrivals area; in this case it was actually built with enough capacity but they then removed just over half of it...
 

lookapigeon

Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
190
What are the timescales? I see the ones at Waterloo are now not scheduled to open until August 2024, they had better be good for it to take them 18 months!
Takes the piss :D - how long does it take to rip out one set of bogs (and associated hardware) and put in some replacements?! The new toilets in the sidings were a nirvana when they first opened. Now they're getting pretty battered due to the heavy use of having no M/F toilets in the main station building.
 

BJames

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2018
Messages
1,464
If the Liverpool Street ones are the same design as the ones in Victoria, the heavy doors on the cubicles seem to get broken easily, I saw a few in the men's sans door.
Liverpool Street toilets are not the same design as Victoria (they're pretty standard doors and nowhere near as heavy).

Hopefully these are designed well but regardless London Bridge's existing toilets are generally unpleasant (or if not physically unpleasant then way too busy) - so it's good to see additional provision being installed.
 

Wolfie

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2010
Messages
7,436
Liverpool Street toilets are not the same design as Victoria (they're pretty standard doors and nowhere near as heavy).

Hopefully these are designed well but regardless London Bridge's existing toilets are generally unpleasant (or if not physically unpleasant then way too busy) - so it's good to see additional provision being installed.
The toilets at Euston are way worse than those at London Bridge and in an absolutely stupid location.
 

Kenny G

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2014
Messages
81
Maybe they'll so something at Stratford. It needs it.
The Stratford toilets are an absolute disgrace. Combined with the lack of any toilets in West Ham station and Barking facilities often being closed and you have a toilet desert. Males at West Ham often urinate off the end of the C2C platform which will shortly be directly in line of sight of the flats in the new housing development.
 

Wolfie

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2010
Messages
7,436
The Stratford toilets are an absolute disgrace. Combined with the lack of any toilets in West Ham station and Barking facilities often being closed and you have a toilet desert. Males at West Ham often urinate off the end of the C2C platform which will shortly be directly in line of sight of the flats in the new housing development.
Disgrace is an understatement. They are absolutely disgusting.
 

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,276
The toilets at Euston are way worse than those at London Bridge and in an absolutely stupid location.
The Euston toilets are at least a decent size.

Another station that needs more capacity is St Pancras - specifically the set of toilets immediately opposite the Eurostar arrivals area; in this case it was actually built with enough capacity but they then removed just over half of it...
The toilets down the domestic end of STP are too small as well, certainly the ladies toilets judging from the enormous queue.
 

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,276
The new toilets have finally opened, 18 months later, when they were apparently meant to be open in late spring 2024!

Naturally they look very nice inside, though not especially large, especially when you consider the non rail passenger use of them. Handy for the through platforms, though the lack of toilets inside the gateline still feels like a major omission for a through station, especially when many of the trains don't have toilets on board.


(The photo shows the washing facilities in the gents)
newfacilities-1-1-900x600-c.jpg
 

AY1975

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,183
Are the new toilets as well as or instead of the existing ones in the passageway going from Stainer Street to Joiner Street (or at least that's where the existing ones are according to the London Bridge station map on the National Rail website)? I presume as well as.

The original press release quoted in entry #1 above refers to a mixture of standard, accessible, and "ambulant" units. I can understand the first two of those, but what do they mean by "ambulant"?
 
Last edited:

Railcar

Member
Joined
27 Nov 2017
Messages
298
Are the new toilets as well as or instead of the existing ones in the passageway going from Stainer Street to Joiner Street (or at least that's where the existing ones are according to the London Bridge station map on the National Rail website)? I presume as well as.
Hopefully as well as. The existing toilets were insufficient for women. Many a time there has been a queue of women waiting in line into the passageway, while the men stroll in and out again. I understand that the new loos have more cubicles for women than for men, thus recognising the design flaw in the existing toilets.
 

Benjwri

Established Member
Joined
16 Jan 2022
Messages
3,326
Location
London
Are the new toilets as well as or instead of the existing ones in the passageway going from Stainer Street to Joiner Street (or at least that's where the existing ones are according to the London Bridge station map on the National Rail website)? I presume as well as.

The original press release quoted in entry #1 above refers to a mixture of standard, accessible, and "ambulant" units. I can understand the first two of those, but what do they mean by "ambulant"?
As well as. I believe they are on Stainer Street.
 

jon81uk

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2022
Messages
1,109
Location
Harlow, Essex
The original press release quoted in entry #1 above refers to a mixture of standard, accessible, and "ambulant" units. I can understand the first two of those, but what do they mean by "ambulant"?
Ambulant is someone who is not normally a wheelchair user so doesn't need a fully accessible toilet but might need some adaptions such as handrails, an outward opening door and more space, but not as much space as a wheelchair would. This seems to summarise well https://www.cubiclesolutions.co.uk/...nce-between-an-ambulant-and-a-disabled-toilet
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top