numtot12345
Member
Interesting - thanks for sharingAs a regular user of the line the timetable reset was done a couple of years ago. Currently the northbound trains arrive early at Patterton every time as the Balgray stop doesn’t happen.
Interesting - thanks for sharingAs a regular user of the line the timetable reset was done a couple of years ago. Currently the northbound trains arrive early at Patterton every time as the Balgray stop doesn’t happen.
There's just one month to go until the new Balgray station opens in Barrhead, welcoming its first passengers on Sunday 27 September.
Built to improve rail connections to and from Glasgow, the station will help people travel for work, education and leisure while providing easier access to destinations including Dams to Darnley Country Park.
It’s part of the Glasgow City Region City Deal, funded by the UK and Scottish Governments and East Renfrewshire Council. The new station’s being delivered by Network Rail in partnership with East Renfrewshire Council, Transport Scotland, ScotRail and Story Contracting.
I don't think an official figure is public yet, but via OpenStreetMap I've estimated it to be 1mi 75ch.Afternoon,
What is the distance (in miles and chains) from Neilston to Balgray, please?
Thanks in advance.
ORR letter has now been published: https://www.orr.gov.uk/sites/defaul...-balgray-station-orr-authorisation-letter.pdfI imagine that I'll be there given that I have nothing in the books for that Sunday...
I don't think an official figure is public yet, but via OpenStreetMap I've estimated it to be 1mi 75ch.
Which puts the midpoint at 106m 1132yds, or 106m 51.45 chains (Railwaycodes gives Balrgay at 106m 54ch as well),The limits of authorisation are defined as following:
Location ELR Track ID From To Balgray Station Platform 2 (Up Neilston) NNH 1100 106m 1063yds 106m 1200yds Balgray Station Platform 1 (Down Neilston) NNH 2100 106m 1063yds 106m 1200yds.
I was on the first train! I could not apply a railcard to any tickets when buying from the ticket machine. They also could not be applied to promise to pay. When I entered Okehampton into the machine, it refused to sell such a ticket, probably because the machine does not have CCST. It prints out digital tickets on receipt paper.
Also, the ticket examiner could not sell me a Balgray to Roundabout ticket as it was not in the system yet.
Okehampton, nay, but it will happily issue a Promise to Pay to such elustrious destinations as Hoek van Holland or GWR Test Destination...I was on the first train! I could not apply a railcard to any tickets when buying from the ticket machine. They also could not be applied to promise to pay. When I entered Okehampton into the machine, it refused to sell such a ticket, probably because the machine does not have CCST. It prints out digital tickets on receipt paper.
Also, the ticket examiner could not sell me a Balgray to Roundabout ticket as it was not in the system yet.
The bridge is also very high sided and very concealed and poorly lit; surely they could have used glass panels.
I'm under the impression that ScotRail want to move completely to paper tickets. Some stations near to me have new systems in the ticket offices which allow them to choose receipt-style or credit-card style, but paper seems to be the default and I have to specify if I want a proper ticket.Overall, it's nice to see a new station open and I'm sure it'll be popular. I just wish they had made it more aesthetically pleasing to the surrounding landscape and country park, and provided a normal ticket machine capable of printing standard credit card style tickets!
I travelled to the new station yesterday evening on the first day of opening. About a dozen people also got off so I suspect this station could become quite well used.
I must say I was quite disappointed by the appearance and facilities of the new station. It really does look quite horrible with all bare metal fencing and structures, the complete opposite of many of the other pleasant stations on the southern leg of the line. Feels like a high security prison. Even sitting in the shelter looking out towards the country park you have to look through big bare metal harsh fencing. Many other new stations have managed to incorporate brick and wood into the design and at least painted the metalwork!
The bridge is also very high sided and very concealed and poorly lit; surely they could have used glass panels. These new estates always have loads of young children who often love waving at the trains from bridges.
The ticket machine is useless too, as it can't print standard train tickets. Anyone wanting a standard ticket or travelling onwards with another operator will probably be better going to Barrhead station to collect their tickets in advance.
I had a standard credit card style ticket to get to Balgray but it didn't work at the barriers at Queen Street, or Central. Hopefully this is something that'll get fixed soon.
Overall, it's nice to see a new station open and I'm sure it'll be popular. I just wish they had made it more aesthetically pleasing to the surrounding landscape and country park, and provided a normal ticket machine capable of printing standard credit card style tickets!