• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Rail Station at Barrhead South

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sannox

Member
Joined
1 Mar 2016
Messages
651
I see there are a couple of 318 special trains calling overnight for 20 mins at Balgray. I've just heard them accelerating hard from Cathcart! Presume this is checking various platform compliance?
 

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,866
Location
At my desk
Afternoon,

What is the distance (in miles and chains) from Neilston to Balgray, please?

Thanks in advance.
 

och aye

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2012
Messages
1,018
The station is to open on Sunday 27 September, according to Network Rail.


One month to go until Balgray station welcomes first passengers​


There's just one month to go until the new Balgray station opens in Barrhead, welcoming its first passengers on Sunday 27 September.

Built to improve rail connections to and from Glasgow, the station will help people travel for work, education and leisure while providing easier access to destinations including Dams to Darnley Country Park.

It’s part of the Glasgow City Region City Deal, funded by the UK and Scottish Governments and East Renfrewshire Council. The new station’s being delivered by Network Rail in partnership with East Renfrewshire Council, Transport Scotland, ScotRail and Story Contracting.
 

Falcon1200

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2021
Messages
6,595
Location
Neilston, East Renfrewshire
The station seems to have been built considerably faster than the foot and cycle path along the Dams Road, which last time I looked was still not open. The railway can still do it!
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,632
Location
Northampton
I imagine that I'll be there given that I have nothing in the books for that Sunday...

I don't think an official figure is public yet, but via OpenStreetMap I've estimated it to be 1mi 75ch.
ORR letter has now been published: https://www.orr.gov.uk/sites/defaul...-balgray-station-orr-authorisation-letter.pdf

Which gives figures of
The limits of authorisation are defined as following:
LocationELRTrack IDFromTo
Balgray Station Platform 2 (Up Neilston)NNH1100106m 1063yds106m 1200yds
Balgray Station Platform 1 (Down Neilston)NNH2100106m 1063yds106m 1200yds.
Which puts the midpoint at 106m 1132yds, or 106m 51.45 chains (Railwaycodes gives Balrgay at 106m 54ch as well),

Neilston at 108m 45ch, so 1m 71ch away. Very good estimating!
 

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,044
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
A preview of Balgray station courtesy of Network Rail


== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

For those of you planning to head down to Balgray this coming Sunday it looks like the first trains in both directions are scheduled to depart at 08:50.


RTT screenshot show simultaneous departures at 08:50 for the first services from Balgray station on Sept 27th
 
Last edited:

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,044
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
A few shots including the first arrivals at 08:50
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260927_075014948.jpg
    PXL_20260927_075014948.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20260927_072615057.jpg
    PXL_20260927_072615057.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
  • PXL_20260927_072251481.jpg
    PXL_20260927_072251481.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
  • PXL_20260927_074219944.jpg
    PXL_20260927_074219944.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 85

H&I

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2023
Messages
264
Location
United Kingdom
I was on the first train! I could not apply a railcard to any tickets when buying from the ticket machine. They also could not be applied to promise to pay. When I entered Okehampton into the machine, it refused to sell such a ticket, probably because the machine does not have CCST. It prints out digital tickets on receipt paper.

Also, the ticket examiner could not sell me a Balgray to Roundabout ticket as it was not in the system yet.
 

kkong

Member
Joined
8 Sep 2008
Messages
1,171
I was on the first train! I could not apply a railcard to any tickets when buying from the ticket machine. They also could not be applied to promise to pay. When I entered Okehampton into the machine, it refused to sell such a ticket, probably because the machine does not have CCST. It prints out digital tickets on receipt paper.

Also, the ticket examiner could not sell me a Balgray to Roundabout ticket as it was not in the system yet.

Ah, are these some more of the enhancements offered by the new ScotRail retail systems contract?
 

318266

Member
Joined
30 Sep 2017
Messages
896
Location
S&W of Alexander Dennis, N&E of Wrightbus
I was on the first train! I could not apply a railcard to any tickets when buying from the ticket machine. They also could not be applied to promise to pay. When I entered Okehampton into the machine, it refused to sell such a ticket, probably because the machine does not have CCST. It prints out digital tickets on receipt paper.

Also, the ticket examiner could not sell me a Balgray to Roundabout ticket as it was not in the system yet.
Okehampton, nay, but it will happily issue a Promise to Pay to such elustrious destinations as Hoek van Holland or GWR Test Destination...
 

ScotTrains

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2014
Messages
416
Location
Scotland
I travelled to the new station yesterday evening on the first day of opening. About a dozen people also got off so I suspect this station could become quite well used.

I must say I was quite disappointed by the appearance and facilities of the new station. It really does look quite horrible with all bare metal fencing and structures, the complete opposite of many of the other pleasant stations on the southern leg of the line. Feels like a high security prison. Even sitting in the shelter looking out towards the country park you have to look through big bare metal harsh fencing. Many other new stations have managed to incorporate brick and wood into the design and at least painted the metalwork!

The bridge is also very high sided and very concealed and poorly lit; surely they could have used glass panels. These new estates always have loads of young children who often love waving at the trains from bridges.

The ticket machine is useless too, as it can't print standard train tickets. Anyone wanting a standard ticket or travelling onwards with another operator will probably be better going to Barrhead station to collect their tickets in advance.

I had a standard credit card style ticket to get to Balgray but it didn't work at the barriers at Queen Street, or Central. Hopefully this is something that'll get fixed soon.

Overall, it's nice to see a new station open and I'm sure it'll be popular. I just wish they had made it more aesthetically pleasing to the surrounding landscape and country park, and provided a normal ticket machine capable of printing standard credit card style tickets!
 

Falcon1200

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2021
Messages
6,595
Location
Neilston, East Renfrewshire
The bridge is also very high sided and very concealed and poorly lit; surely they could have used glass panels.

IIRC one of the delays in building the station (and which must have increased its cost) was the debate over whether a footbridge, with lifts of course, was needed at all, which I still question given that there is a road underbridge immediately next to the station. Personally the station looks OK to me, and of course it has had to be built to modern standards; A Whitecraigs style station would have been lovely but probably not a realistic option!
 

777142

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2026
Messages
40
Location
Fife
Overall, it's nice to see a new station open and I'm sure it'll be popular. I just wish they had made it more aesthetically pleasing to the surrounding landscape and country park, and provided a normal ticket machine capable of printing standard credit card style tickets!
I'm under the impression that ScotRail want to move completely to paper tickets. Some stations near to me have new systems in the ticket offices which allow them to choose receipt-style or credit-card style, but paper seems to be the default and I have to specify if I want a proper ticket.
I got a credit card-sized roundabout ticket at Glasgow Central on Sunday and weirdly it had a QR code crammed onto it. It didn't seem to scan easily at the ticket barriers like other QR tickets but supposedly it's there so it can be scanned by ticket inspectors. Although I don't think it was scanned once all day, despite about a dozen ticket checks.
 

sannox

Member
Joined
1 Mar 2016
Messages
651
I travelled to the new station yesterday evening on the first day of opening. About a dozen people also got off so I suspect this station could become quite well used.

I must say I was quite disappointed by the appearance and facilities of the new station. It really does look quite horrible with all bare metal fencing and structures, the complete opposite of many of the other pleasant stations on the southern leg of the line. Feels like a high security prison. Even sitting in the shelter looking out towards the country park you have to look through big bare metal harsh fencing. Many other new stations have managed to incorporate brick and wood into the design and at least painted the metalwork!

The bridge is also very high sided and very concealed and poorly lit; surely they could have used glass panels. These new estates always have loads of young children who often love waving at the trains from bridges.

The ticket machine is useless too, as it can't print standard train tickets. Anyone wanting a standard ticket or travelling onwards with another operator will probably be better going to Barrhead station to collect their tickets in advance.

I had a standard credit card style ticket to get to Balgray but it didn't work at the barriers at Queen Street, or Central. Hopefully this is something that'll get fixed soon.

Overall, it's nice to see a new station open and I'm sure it'll be popular. I just wish they had made it more aesthetically pleasing to the surrounding landscape and country park, and provided a normal ticket machine capable of printing standard credit card style tickets!

Just standard cut and paste station. I agree it looks horrendous and very stark - same as Hairmyres - even older 1990s stations on the SPT network were more sympathetic with the architecture!
 

Top