• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New member advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgirdlestone

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2016
Messages
5
Location
Stevenage
Firstly Hi all this is my first post having just registered for the forum.
I am rekindling an on/off passion for the railways and am interested in the trip reports on here where members not only log the numbers of seen stock but also register amounts of miles traveled, haulage, stations visited etc.
I have a few questions about the way in which this info is collected which i hope someone can enlighten me on:

1, If i travel on a unit(hst,2 x emu/dmu etc) is the haulage number logged the leading power car/unit or both the front and back number.

2 when logging stations visited is the a set length of time to be on that particular station.

Im sure my first trip will bring more questions but just knowing the answers to these will be a good start.
Best regards
Lee Girdlestone
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Hi Lee,

Firstly, welcome to the forum. :)

With regards to your first question, if I travel on a HST set (which isn't very often) I tick off both of the power cars. If I travel on a top and tail or loco with driving trailer set, I also tick off both. However if I'm travelling on a pair of units, then I record both units in my journey log but I only tick off the unit I travelled on for haulage. If I need both units, then depending on the circumstances I will either go for the other unit another time, or if possible I'll move into the other unit at some stage during the journey. If I do the latter, then I tick both of them off.

There's no set time you have to be in a visited station for, as long as you start/end a journey there (in my view) it counts as a visited station.

Hope this is useful and you enjoy your time on the forum. :)

Best wishes.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,423
Location
Yorkshire
Welcome :)
1, If i travel on a unit(hst,2 x emu/dmu etc) is the haulage number logged the leading power car/unit or both the front and back number.
Log as much, or as little, as you want; for the vast majority of people nothing would be logged!

I do know a small number of people who log haulage, in which case it would usually be anything providing power. Some people log coaching stock (including passenger carriage numbers and/or driving van trailers) which is rather extreme, but you can if you want!
2 when logging stations visited is the a set length of time to be on that particular station.
That's entirely up to you. For me to consider a station properly visited I'd have to exit the station. I don't log them either, but I like exploring new places.

For example I've visited just almost every station between York & Sheffield (on all permitted routes), but that's not because I set out to do that to tick them off, and in many cases I've done a walk or cycle ride or visited a pub or something.

I do know people who do things to tick them off, and you are welcome to do that, if that's what you want to do. But the vast majority of us do not.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
Welcome to the forum Lee. This is interesting because I don't do a lot of this.

I used to note the mileage of 47s and kept proper records.
I always recorded the other locos I'd been behind but didn't really keep proper records of their mileage.
I recorded what routes I'd been on although not crossovers, platforms etc.
I ended up getting a bit slack towards the end of my mainline bashing days and used to make a quick scribble and then spend the rest of the journey looking out of the window :D .

That said sometimes I wish I had taken better notes now and I also wish I'd taken more notice of which units I had back then and maybe taken more photos but that's just not me. I guess it's your hobby and you can make your own rules up (as long as you don't actually make anything else up haha).

I'm interested to see what other people do though
 

lgirdlestone

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2016
Messages
5
Location
Stevenage
Thanks for replies so far. I guess its just a case of getting out there and trying it i cant afford the time or money to always be traveling far and i thought that doing something different might make day trips around London and the south east a bit more interesting. Photos and some video will also be taken whilst out so ill see how it goes and report back.
Best regards
Lee Girdlestone
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,970
Location
Airedale
Welcome aboard!

Just to give you another option: I gave up on numbers many years ago, and rarely do detailed timing, but I enjou the travelling and the operational aspects.

So I record all journeys:
Station (departure) - Station (arrival) - train formation (loco/coaches/unit types) - approx. loading - punctuality start/finish/significant delays and reason if known.

In short - take time to decide what you want to focus on, and then work out what to record.
 

AJM580

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2016
Messages
655
Location
Norwich
To answer in brief:

1. As long as both HST power cars are providing power, then they get counted
- same for top and tail locos. With units I count unit number (if there is one) otherwise its both front and back.

2. No set time. As long as I've arrived and/or departed by train it counts
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
1. If both HST powercars are powering then I count them. The same goes for pairs of units.

2. A station counts for me if I've arrived or departed by train (or both). No minimum time limit.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
It's entirely personal preference.

For traction, I would log both HST power cars or any locos in the formation. I note all unit numbers in a consist but usually mark which one(s) I have travelled on for completeness (and may come back to get "missed" ones again later, though I don't put too much emphasis on it)

Stations wise, I believe the general consensus is usually travelling on trains with two different headcodes (I know some people have to board and alight at a station for it to count...I'll happily just do one for the likes of a walking interchange) - i.e. going to a terminus, the train goes back out as a different reporting number, so I would count that having got off the train at the terminus.

Exceptions for me at the moment are Glenrothes (loco hauled set terminates and restarts there, but I didn't get out onto the platform) and the likes of Bridge of Orchy and Rannoch where I have been on the platform having alighted from the Sleeper whilst we waited for the other train to pass before reboarding the same one, simply because "properly" visiting those stations is going to be tricky!
 
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
I've got in my mind a new National Association of British Bashers (NABB :)).
With a board of directors made up of the cream of the bashing community, that will be democratically voted in by members of NABB (ie us).

Their remit will be to decide the rules regarding:

Track bashing.
Loco Bashing.
Coach bashing.
Unit bashing.
Shack bashing.
All other railed and non railed bashing (including Wetherspoons pubs).

This could be a FIFA kind of setup with any bribes being legal.

Alternatively it could be set up in a Hogwarts style with a Network Rail hard hat as a kind of sorting helmet so that you decide what you're going to do when you're young and have to stick with it. :D
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
Welcome to the forum, and to the potential return to the cranking scene. There's not enough of us around, so I'm glad to hear of a new member to the modern scene!

Everyone is slightly different in what they record. You will inevitably tweak your recordings and rules as time goes on, I don't know a single crank who hasn't changed what they do over the years. You wouldn't believe it now, but back in 2004 and 2005 we all used to meet up just for some motive power bashing, travelling across the country just to travel behind a 31/4! Nowadays it's all about regional challenges, fares workshops and pub meets, which I'll be honest is less interesting to me. I'd rather get everyone together on a train and have a good social, much like we used to. It's hard to believe it's been pretty much exactly 11 YEARS TO THE DAY since we did the Bristol to Brighton 31s bash, involving that slammer on a stopper to Portsmouth Harbour, then another on a Waterloo run which I only did to Fratton before a 158 all the way to Cardiff for an HST back to Swansea. Good memories, it must be said, we need to revive some of those from other bashers.

For example, anyone got some nostalgia from the forum meet on that Paddington to Hereford via Evesham HST bash we did in 2005? Or the Pembroke Dock HST meet we did that year? I remember bits and bobs about both trips, but I would love to get some memories from the other members. I just wish I'd recorded all these moves at the time, my all-time mileage would be astronomical!

Anyway, back on Planet Earth, I'm going very off-topic. Here's a rough look at what I do these days, starting with an extract from yesterday's memo file:

43130+43003, in 46012w, HFD-WOS (0528,arr 0620,3d)
172213+172216 WOS-SGB (0635,arr 0731,4d)
323241 SGB-BHM (0736,1d,arr 0745)

There were of course other moves, and in the moves book the station names will be written down in full rather than just shorthand. You'll notice that these days, as long as both are powering, I'll record both power cars on HSTs. Same applies to DMUs, as will be noted on the second entry above. The 'w' after 46012 refers to a score, in my notebook and moves book this would translate to an underline. Departure time is noted, then any delay to that (as noted on the third entry above), then the arrival time and finally the delay to arrival time if known). You'll notice no coaches are noted on the 172s or 323, as with the 172s they are what I call Super Duds, in this case this means I've already travelled in all coaches of the particular DMU. You can imagine it will take a long time to do that with an 11-car 390 or 12-car 700! My rule with coaching stock is that it matters not if it's 1 second or 10 hours in that coach, as long as I've stood/sat in it for a minimum of 1 second and got confirmation of the number it counts. Only one coach per move, so you can imagine this is easier to do on a long series of short moves, and you can no doubt imagine how annoying it is when you have several needs in one set! I had an HST with 3 required coaches back in the summer, discovering as it left that my last TGS (Trailer Guards Standard) for haulage on GWR was in the set. 44066 will annoy me until the end of time I swear, or at least until I am fortunate enough to get it in...

Next, I will attempt to answer your question on stations. I appreciate this is a long post, and if you're still reading this without falling asleep then fair game. I should imagine it's not at all obvious I'm just a bit passionate about my hobby!

There seem to be several different methods for recording visited stations, but my rule is set in stone and just thinking about changing it or bending the rule even once causes me grief:

I count a station by arriving by whatever method of choice I have. Be that car, bus, foot, train or anything else. I must have a foot on at least part of the station to count it, Clifton Down I don't remember doing better than a foot onto the steps from the street to the platform, having arrived by bus when the platforms were closed. It is being dealt with next time I visit Bristol, I believe Cheam and Worcester Park were done in a similar fashion years ago by night buses, of course these will be dealt with too. They have caused grief for too long! I will point blank refuse to simply step off a train onto the platform then back onto the same train, unless it's at a terminal at the end of its journey and about to form another one back out. I tried that at Worle once, the guilt and grief that caused from, in my eyes, cheating was too much to not go back and fix that which I did some years back. Quite, until posting this I did not realise that I have 3 shacks that need to be re-done!

My rule is flexible only when it comes to two of the most difficult shacks (enthusiast name for stations) to get in the country. These are Redcar British Steel and Lympstone Commando. The latter has signs all over the place saying you must have business with the camp to use the station, which is good enough for me, especially in an age of heightened security and terrorism. For these two, my rule was allowed to bend to being on a train that calls at the shack. I don't feel the need to even try and put my feet on the platform, that was good enough for me.

If ever another shack gets such a restricted service, and I doubt that very much, then my rule will bend again but otherwise it won't.

I hope this answers questions, but if not then feel free to ask away!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
What an excellent post and insight in to the way you do things Tech. Very interesting.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
What an excellent post and insight in to the way you do things Tech. Very interesting.

I guess it was also in my own interest to post it, as I get asked multiple times a year on how I do things! There's not many of us on here who do individual coaches for haulage, which I have to admit surprises me significantly! It's worth noting I don't include these in my Red Pen thread updates, I think there'd be a lot of declarations of cheating :lol:

I would like to hear from other bashers who do coaching stock haulages mind!
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I make a note of (booked) departure time, from, to, unit travelled in (or powercars / DVTs etc where applicable), and then track to crossover level detail. For stations it tends to be considered 'done' when I felt like I've been there for long enough to see everything of interest. Obviously those levels will be different for a major London terminus compared to a wayside halt in Norfolk. So yeah, everyone's different. The best way for you would probably be to record everything to start with and then once you get into it for real decide what to focus on.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
Forgot to mention DVTs for my rulings. I will underline a DVT only if I a) remember to note it which is surprisingly rare and b) if it's at the front. I make no real effort to note the DVTs having got my last one in active service (loads of them stored I believe in Long Marston) for sight years ago.
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Forgot to mention DVTs for my rulings. I will underline a DVT only if I a) remember to note it which is surprisingly rare and b) if it's at the front. I make no real effort to note the DVTs having got my last one in active service (loads of them stored I believe in Long Marston) for sight years ago.

I wish I was so lucky, I need absolutely loads of DVTs!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
Don't forget I started spotting properly by 21st February 2004, so I've had a long time to fill my books! Sadly a fair bit has gone in that time, 73s have been hit hard (a lot of renumberings of course) but the slammers on the Southern Region I mostly refer to. I missed my only known chance of an 86 on the mainline in 2004 by 30 seconds, but I may have had one back to London from Norwich. Sadly I'll never know as my notetaking was not exactly good at the time. I never recorded haulages at the beginning, it took until 2005 to properly start that but 2006 until I recorded both power cars on an HST journey. From there notes got better, but it took until 2010 I believe to properly log journey times. I might note the departure, but not the arrival time!

Mind you, I know there are mistakes in my RailMiles logs. I couldn't remove a 323 journey at the time of discovery for some reason, so it remains in there as 323321 or something like that!

Anyway I'm getting way off the point here...
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,423
Location
Yorkshire
... It's hard to believe it's been pretty much exactly 11 YEARS TO THE DAY since we did the Bristol to Brighton 31s bash,...
I think you'll find that was now 12 years ago! Number one at the time was Eric Prydz - Call On Me. (Not sure if I should be linking to the music video!;) ). It was actually before this forum existed, as it was arranged on other forums.
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
It's good to see someone rekindling their passion. Happened for me about 6 years ago and not looked back! I count both power cars on an HST (if they are both powering) and I will count any unit in a consist (again if they are all powering).

For stations these are my rules (and this is probably where the most differences occur between us all). I have to have either arrived or left a station by train. More often than not, I arrive and leave by rail. I can not get the same train out unless it was a terminus and the head code changed. Therefore for me some stations will probably never be cleared.

Where a station is a shared one e.g. Amersham (is National Rail and Metropolitan), I have to do it with both types of train. So with my example above I can arrive on a Chiltern service to claim it for National Rail and I could leave on a Met service to claim it for London Underground. Or Vice versa.
 

roversfan2001

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2016
Messages
1,666
Location
Lancashire
I think you'll find that was now 12 years ago! Number one at the time was Eric Prydz - Call On Me. (Not sure if I should be linking to the music video!;) ). It was actually before this forum existed, as it was arranged on other forums.
Time to make everyone feel old... ;) I was 3 at the time of that particular meet!

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,340
As far as I am concerned, everyone if free to choose their own rules. No single method is either "right" or "wrong".

Personally, for loco haulage, if there are 2 locos on a train, both must be powering the train to count for "Haulage". A loco being towed "dead", or idling at the rear of the train would not count.

For units, I record the unit number(s) on the train - provided all are working, all the units in the train count for haulage. I do not record individual coach numbers.

I no longer record "train moves", but I do time many (but not all) journeys - for these I record loco or unit numbers, plus estimated load.

For station visits, I prefer to be able to take photos of one or more trains at that station. I also prefer to arrive at / depart from that station, but if I have to walk between two nearby stations, I will count both of them. Stations only visited by bus (or car) due to poor rail services are not counted as "full visits".
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Firstly Hi all this is my first post having just registered for the forum.
I am rekindling an on/off passion for the railways and am interested in the trip reports on here where members not only log the numbers of seen stock but also register amounts of miles traveled, haulage, stations visited etc.
I have a few questions about the way in which this info is collected which i hope someone can enlighten me on:

1, If i travel on a unit(hst,2 x emu/dmu etc) is the haulage number logged the leading power car/unit or both the front and back number.

2 when logging stations visited is the a set length of time to be on that particular station.

Im sure my first trip will bring more questions but just knowing the answers to these will be a good start.
Best regards
Lee Girdlestone

Do whatever you enjoy when it comes to a record of what you have seen or travelled on mate. The only thing I keep any record of these days is locos. I generally pay no attention to units and never really had, that is not meant to knock anyone that does. It's just what interests me. I still love reading peoples trip reviews even if they were on units. I share their excitement at getting a unit they were after even if I wouldn't have been chasing the unit myself.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
Do whatever you enjoy when it comes to a record of what you have seen or travelled on mate. The only thing I keep any record of these days is locos. I generally pay no attention to units and never really had, that is not meant to knock anyone that does. It's just what interests me. I still love reading peoples trip reviews even if they were on units. I share their excitement at getting a unit they were after even if I wouldn't have been chasing the unit myself.

Well said Fowler9. I love reading the reports on here. The traction may have changed but it's all still the same feeling from years ago.
Nice to see younger people still coming into it too, their reports are really well written and interesting.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
I think you'll find that was now 12 years ago! Number one at the time was Eric Prydz - Call On Me. (Not sure if I should be linking to the music video!;) ). It was actually before this forum existed, as it was arranged on other forums.

See, I knew it was in October 2004, yet I still ended up typing 11 years ago. Yorkie, you have made me feel even older!

Indeed it was organised before this forum was created, how I'd love to read the trip report I typed up back then again. The difference between that one and current ones would be hugely noticeable. I still remember doing a practice trip report for a day return trip from Swansea to Llanelli and back a couple of days before the trip to Brighton!

Ahhh, memories...
 

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
Firstly, Welcome aboard Lee.
Theres a lot of what I call, hardcore bashers n shack scratchers in here, trust me, your in tbe right place for advice, they're a very knowledgable bunch.

Im more simplistic than these folk. Everything goes onto my dictaphone and gets logged at the end of the day. Using a dictaphones a damn sight easier, when getting coaching stock too. Im certainly not one for sittage, in individual coaches. It's bad enough trying to find the VTEC and various otber coaching stock I need without recording one I've plonked my butt in from Newcastle to York.
I do count both HST power cars but not DVTs. The DVT has to be leading before I count it for haulage but I still count the loco because thats obviously the power. Double units, to count both, i sit in the back one. I'm not a shack scratcher, thats a real labour of love and I have enough to underline in my book without going for stations too.

My records are fairly simple, I'm not one for times, I used to, it'd be times and working codes. Now its just. The journey I'm making and whatever the traction is plus sightings at stations or en route. A very basic example below.
NEWC-CAR
156509
Hexham
142078

However its what suits you. When i was first starting, this hobby was cheap, pen, paper, which progressed into a Red Silverine notebook(of which I still use to this day) spotting book, ruler. As i got older, bus fare, got added if i was venturing a little further from Tyne Yard but even if we were just going to Gateshead shed, we'd use our bikes. Now its, Realtimetrains, advance tickets, GB Rail Rover Guide and booking.com.

Happy hunting Lee. Glad to have you onboard.
 
Last edited:
Joined
9 Apr 2016
Messages
1,909
Firstly Hi all this is my first post having just registered for the forum.
I am rekindling an on/off passion for the railways and am interested in the trip reports on here where members not only log the numbers of seen stock but also register amounts of miles traveled, haulage, stations visited etc.
I have a few questions about the way in which this info is collected which i hope someone can enlighten me on:

1, If i travel on a unit(hst,2 x emu/dmu etc) is the haulage number logged the leading power car/unit or both the front and back number.

2 when logging stations visited is the a set length of time to be on that particular station.

Im sure my first trip will bring more questions but just knowing the answers to these will be a good start.
Best regards
Lee Girdlestone

Welcome to the forum. In regards to both of your questions it is entirely up to you. There are no right or wrong ways to do it. Everyone has their own ways.

Personally this is what i do.

To tick off a unit it means that i have to travel in every coach of that unit (which can just be walking through the train). I also record every unit number. So for example on a 12 coach 450 (450+450+450) i would record all three unit numbers and walk through all coaches of the train (as long as it is not a packed rush hour train). I only record classes that are of interest to me (for example i dont bother recording 220 / 221 / 390 / HST / Locomotive Hauled Trains / etc).

To tick off a railway station i have to walk around the station including visiting and walking on every platform at that station (only the ones that are open to the public of course). I also have to enter and exit the station and go for a walk on the roads around the surrounding area around the station. I am currently trying to visit every railway station in the UK.

I personally dont record how many miles i travel.

This is just how i do it but you may find your own ways that best suit you. Hope this helps.
 

djpontrack

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2011
Messages
1,025
Location
Morecambe
Hi. I record all unit numbers that are on the service that I'm on as long as they are all providing traction. I make a note of the actual departure time and arrival time at my destination. I never use to make a note of my arrival time until I joined Railmiles in 2010. I walk through HST and loco hauled stock when it's moving to claim the coaches for haulage, this includes DVTs if I can. For stations I must arrive and/or depart by rail and not just jumping off for 5 seconds and back on the same train. I include everything on Railmiles, ie: national rail, private/preserved, trams, underground, DLR, foreign.
 
Joined
31 Oct 2015
Messages
241
I include everything on Railmiles, ie: national rail, private/preserved, trams, underground, DLR, foreign.

I joined Railmiles recently and have inputted my National Rail stuff since June. Can you please advise me how you go about inputting stuff such as LU that doesn't have a departure time per se? Is it a case of manually recording the actual dep/arr times, or is there a way round it? If not my light rail etc mileage will have to go begging as I have no such info.
 

djpontrack

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2011
Messages
1,025
Location
Morecambe
Hi jayalongtheway. I just manually put in the times for LU and trams. I put in TUBE for a LU headcode and TRAM for a tram headcode. If you want you can have a look at my Railmiles. I don't have much LU stuff these days as I am currently living in Morecambe but I still try to get to London when I can.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top