Iskra
Established Member
Presumably, they picked it up cheap in the first place.
Given that Belmont bought the train some time ago and used it successfully in Ireland before bringing it to Britain, no chance of any legal action being successful.Could Belmond begin a legal lawsuit against Irish Railways (IE) for purchasing faulty Mk3 stock?
I wonder whether the problems are connected to the fact that the stock was built for CIÉ - as it then was - with power operated doors? When converted by Belmond to standard gauge - presumably using surplus BT10 bogies - they would have to have been modified to accept door/brake interlocking equipment....and maybe the door sensors are just a wee bit too sensitive?
It was always well known for suffering door faults.I wonder whether the problems are connected to the fact that the stock was built for CIÉ - as it then was - with power operated doors? When converted by Belmond to standard gauge - presumably using surplus BT10 bogies - they would have to have been modified to accept door/brake interlocking equipment....and maybe the door sensors are just a wee bit too sensitive?
The stock was assembled new in Inchicore Works in Dublin by CIÉ in the 1980s with the kits supplied by BREL. They were not second-hand from GB.It wasn't, it was originally UK gauge stock and modified to be used in Ireland - where apparently it was also well known for suffering door faults.
Yes, I realised within about 5 seconds of hitting the post button that I was thinking of the BREL International coaches that became the Cu na Mara set - the forum didn't display the "edited post" label that it normally does when you edit a read post so I thought I had gotten away with it but you're clearly a replying ninjaThe stock was assembled new in Inchicore Works in Dublin by CIÉ in the 1980s with the kits supplied by BREL. They were not second-hand from GB.
There were indeed numerous door problems at the outset, but these were overcome and the stock operated perfectly well for over twenty years. The train operated without door problems for Belmond in Ireland subsequently.
Better question is have the reliability issues been ironed out. I'm sure we'll see the stock moving soon for testing to assure of that.All has been quiet on this front... due to start in around six weeks time. Will it be ready?
I think you're spot on. When I looked a few weeks ago they were starting with this date and going all the way through to November which seemed optimistic!I think this could be the first of the year?
Realtime Trains | 1V00 1548 London Victoria to Haverfordwest | 30/03/2026
Real-time train running information for 1V00 1548 departure from London Victoria to Haverfordwest on 30/03/2026. From Realtime Trains, an independent source of train running info for Great Britain.www.realtimetrains.co.uk
I'd be surprised if one of the earlier paths aren't used as a test run for the stock, sending it in without making sure it still works wouldn't be the smartest idea!Belmond are actually taking paying passengers on the 30/03/2026 departure. Courageous decision.
We can look forward to 1st April's joke being Belmond disrupting the Cambrian Coast service for most of the morning when their Barmouth/Tywyn/Barmouth shuffle fails to keep to time, yet again.
And as soon as I bring it up a path from Hamilton to Eastleigh has appeared for this Saturday!The stock is still in Steele's yard in Hamilton
There have been paths in RTT from Hamilton to Craigentinny then Edinburgh to Dundee and return for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week, looks to be the Brittanic Express stock test runs.Any updates on if the 30th of March run is expected to happen? Additionally, any knowledge on if the stock will be tested before it's used with paying customers? Would be a pretty bold decision to not do so!
Just under an hour.If it runs how long will it be in Dundee for?
Which yard , where ?.A maroon 66 is parked up in the siding outside the yard, adjacent to the main line this morning.
Seen elsewhere 66743 mentioned.I’m guessing Hamilton GBRF and whatever was on this: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U79815/2026-03-09/detailed
Sorry. Yes Steele's yard in Hamilton.Which yard , where ?.
Running as planned with 66743 at the helm. All 10 coaches in the consist.And as soon as I bring it up a path from Hamilton to Eastleigh has appeared for this Saturday!
Realtime Trains | 5O22 0928 Hamilton Gbrf to Eastleigh Arlington (Zg) | 14/03/2026
Real-time train running information for 5O22 0928 departure from Hamilton Gbrf to Eastleigh Arlington (Zg) on 14/03/2026. From Realtime Trains, an independent source of train running info for Great Britain.www.realtimetrains.co.uk
Hopefully it will be better this time around.Running as planned with 66743 at the helm. All 10 coaches in the consist.
I saw it stationary once and on closer inspection I could see it was tatty in places - aluminium window frames in the doors that were patched up.I saw this pass Coventry yesterday at about 5pm, I have to say, for all the hype, I thought externally it looked a little tired.