• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Belmond train in England & Wales

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,889
Could Belmond begin a legal lawsuit against Irish Railways (IE) for purchasing faulty Mk3 stock?
Given that Belmont bought the train some time ago and used it successfully in Ireland before bringing it to Britain, no chance of any legal action being successful.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,141
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
I wonder whether the problems are connected to the fact that the stock was built for CIÉ - as it then was - with power operated doors? When converted by Belmond to standard gauge - presumably using surplus BT10 bogies - they would have to have been modified to accept door/brake interlocking equipment....and maybe the door sensors are just a wee bit too sensitive?
 

driverd

Member
Joined
29 Mar 2021
Messages
911
Location
UK
I wonder whether the problems are connected to the fact that the stock was built for CIÉ - as it then was - with power operated doors? When converted by Belmond to standard gauge - presumably using surplus BT10 bogies - they would have to have been modified to accept door/brake interlocking equipment....and maybe the door sensors are just a wee bit too sensitive?

In essence its a 442 as far as the doors are concerned, so there shouldn't be any issues in that regard - or atleast none that can't be rectified.

I'm also unsure whether it will have door/brake interlocking. Its not typical on LHCS of that age - whether the train will have grandfather rights or some kind of dispensation due to the nature of the operation, I don't know.

Whatever the case, though, the door issues are nothing that should be causing a major, long term issue. The problem here seems to be that a train has many, many moving parts (literally and metaphorically). Given the price tag, every one of those needs to come together seamlessly, or you'll be left feeling as though it wasn't worth the money (quite literally from the house keeping to horse riding - or whatever other bourgeois activity they have planned :lol: ).

Its a lot of plates to be spinning at the same time, but I do hope they get it right, its a gorgeous train and a superb concept that I'd one day like to try myself.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,932
I wonder whether the problems are connected to the fact that the stock was built for CIÉ - as it then was - with power operated doors? When converted by Belmond to standard gauge - presumably using surplus BT10 bogies - they would have to have been modified to accept door/brake interlocking equipment....and maybe the door sensors are just a wee bit too sensitive?
It was always well known for suffering door faults.
 

berneyarms

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2013
Messages
3,115
Location
Dublin
It wasn't, it was originally UK gauge stock and modified to be used in Ireland - where apparently it was also well known for suffering door faults.
The stock was assembled new in Inchicore Works in Dublin by CIÉ in the 1980s with the kits supplied by BREL. They were not second-hand from GB.

There were indeed numerous door problems at the outset, but these were overcome and the stock operated perfectly well for over twenty years. The train operated without door problems for Belmond in Ireland subsequently.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,932
The stock was assembled new in Inchicore Works in Dublin by CIÉ in the 1980s with the kits supplied by BREL. They were not second-hand from GB.

There were indeed numerous door problems at the outset, but these were overcome and the stock operated perfectly well for over twenty years. The train operated without door problems for Belmond in Ireland subsequently.
Yes, I realised within about 5 seconds of hitting the post button that I was thinking of the BREL International coaches that became the Cu na Mara set - the forum didn't display the "edited post" label that it normally does when you edit a read post so I thought I had gotten away with it but you're clearly a replying ninja :lol:

I had however read somewhere recently that the Hibernian set had in it's latter stages of life experienced an increasing number of door issues.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,664
Location
Hampshire
…. Has returned back to Eastleigh Arlington today behind 57303. I’m not sure what the prospective Doncaster trip was for then!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

We have movement again!

Having decided that Doncaster was too far for the BEX to move to, it is now heading back to Assenta Rail Hamilton for further maintenance.

More surprisingly it’s being hauled up by 59003, although it’s since become homesick and has been diverted to Tuebrook for a GBRf 66 to take over. Must have decided it was too far north and picked up a nosebleed :lol:

 
Last edited:

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
I think this could be the first of the year?

​

I think you're spot on. When I looked a few weeks ago they were starting with this date and going all the way through to November which seemed optimistic!
 

nwales58

Established Member
Joined
15 Mar 2022
Messages
1,365
Location
notsure
Belmond are actually taking paying passengers on the 30/03/2026 departure. Courageous decision.

We can look forward to 1st April's joke being Belmond disrupting the Cambrian Coast service for most of the morning when their Barmouth/Tywyn/Barmouth shuffle fails to keep to time, yet again.
 

BillStampy

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2024
Messages
1,622
Location
Llanharan
Belmond are actually taking paying passengers on the 30/03/2026 departure. Courageous decision.

We can look forward to 1st April's joke being Belmond disrupting the Cambrian Coast service for most of the morning when their Barmouth/Tywyn/Barmouth shuffle fails to keep to time, yet again.
I'd be surprised if one of the earlier paths aren't used as a test run for the stock, sending it in without making sure it still works wouldn't be the smartest idea!
 

BillStampy

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2024
Messages
1,622
Location
Llanharan
Any updates on if the 30th of March run is expected to happen? Additionally, any knowledge on if the stock will be tested before it's used with paying customers? Would be a pretty bold decision to not do so!
 

BillStampy

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2024
Messages
1,622
Location
Llanharan

37025

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2025
Messages
42
Location
Kirkcaldy
Any updates on if the 30th of March run is expected to happen? Additionally, any knowledge on if the stock will be tested before it's used with paying customers? Would be a pretty bold decision to not do so!
There have been paths in RTT from Hamilton to Craigentinny then Edinburgh to Dundee and return for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week, looks to be the Brittanic Express stock test runs.
However, yesterday's and today's runs were both cancelled.



 

MadCommuter

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2010
Messages
736
A maroon 66 is parked up in the siding outside the yard, adjacent to the main line this morning.
 

ScottDarg

Member
Joined
27 Apr 2017
Messages
718
Location
South Lanarkshire
And as soon as I bring it up a path from Hamilton to Eastleigh has appeared for this Saturday!

Running as planned with 66743 at the helm. All 10 coaches in the consist.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,571
Location
Lichfield
I saw this pass Coventry yesterday at about 5pm, I have to say, for all the hype, I thought externally it looked a little tired.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,820
Location
Croydon
I saw this pass Coventry yesterday at about 5pm, I have to say, for all the hype, I thought externally it looked a little tired.
I saw it stationary once and on closer inspection I could see it was tatty in places - aluminium window frames in the doors that were patched up.
 

Top