• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network SouthEast branding still in daily use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
spying a certain WA driver driver in this thread, and relevent (sort of) to it: anyone know why the Greater Anglia WA route stations have been spouting brand new red posts on the platforms?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
The North East London Metro lines out to Chingford / Enfield et al are meant to be being repainted and rebranded in GA colours. It has (apparently) already happened on the East Suffolk line, but I know of nowhere else that has. A lot of stations could do with a lick of paint though, from Bethnal Green to Broxbourne (either way!) there must be evidence of about 5 different TOC colour schemes...
 

SprinterMan

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
2,341
Location
Hertford
They normally use Grey & White to repaint stations, so lots of red posts should at least make the place brighter than that. All the street lights at Bury St. Edmunds are grey except one which remains NXEA green as it is too near the end of the platform to accommodate the painting scaffold ladder thing.

Adam :D
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,957
Location
UK
I hope they use the same NSE red so things will have gone full circle!

It was funny when FCC repainted the old benches. They'd been red for years and still looked pretty good in many places. Their grey/blueish paint didn't stick well at all and flaked within days. I guess you need to paint things differently when they're going to have bags, coats and feet scraping at them constantly.
 
Joined
14 Aug 2012
Messages
1,070
Location
Stratford
I hope they use the same NSE red so things will have gone full circle!

It was funny when FCC repainted the old benches. They'd been red for years and still looked pretty good in many places. Their grey/blueish paint didn't stick well at all and flaked within days. I guess you need to paint things differently when they're going to have bags, coats and feet scraping at them constantly.

Got a suspicion the grey used is cheap undercoat hence it flaking quickly

 

Skimble19

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2009
Messages
1,508
Location
London
Isn't the grey/blue colour you describe just the colour WAGN used in their final years? Only ever seen FCC paint the old benches dark blue and bright pink!
 

Skimble19

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2009
Messages
1,508
Location
London
That may be so over on the WA, but the blue/grey on the GN was definitely WAGN - We were never inflicted with ONE! The only stuff painted purple on the GN was the few remaining 317s..
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
Anyone know why the Greater Anglia WA route stations have been spouting brand new red posts on the platforms?

If it's just the one short post on each platform, they're eventually to have help points installed I believe. Shelford has these posts.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm sure a few 313s had all over purple as well?

You're quite right, they did. I also seem to remember one or two 313s retaining their NSE livery right up to being repainted in FCC livery (although I might just be imagining things). I don't think any 315s ever received WAGN purple livery, the WAGN ones were just given all-over white.
 

Skimble19

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2009
Messages
1,508
Location
London
Come to think of it many 313s probably did get painted purple ( I didn't venture down that end of the line much back then). One thing I do remember is a lot of them were all over white, with strange advertising on the side for intalink or something..
 
Last edited:

Skimble19

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2009
Messages
1,508
Location
London
Plenty of them about on the GN, although I believe the one at Stevenage that had 2 and 3 car has just been removed.. (Probably because no 2 car trains have called in years!)

It has been replaced by a new one for 3 cars.
 

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
Plenty of them about on the GN, although I believe the one at Stevenage that had 2 and 3 car has just been removed.. (Probably because no 2 car trains have called in years!)

It has been replaced by a new one for 3 cars.

Not exactly 'just', it happened when FCC took over. The old 3/4, 8 and 9/[] are still there (the [] being a modern 12 sticker).
 

David Goddard

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
1,515
Location
Ely
Cannon Street definitely still has NSE colours on the pillars along the platforms - see here

I think a few of the old CRT-type monitors at Margate may have NSE branding on them too.

They do. We called there in the summer on our All Line Rover and I just had to take a picture of them:
 

Skimble19

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2009
Messages
1,508
Location
London
Not exactly 'just', it happened when FCC took over. The old 3/4, 8 and 9/[] are still there (the [] being a modern 12 sticker).
Actually, on the Northbound platform they were there until a matter of weeks ago.
 

Fred26

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2010
Messages
1,107
Actually, on the Northbound platform they were there until a matter of weeks ago.

That's right. They were removed because one of the directors wanted the 3-car trains to stop further along the platform. The opportunity was taken to get rid of the 2/3-car stop sign and replace it with just a 3.
The unused sign is now sitting in the Supervisors office.
 

Manchester77

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2012
Messages
2,628
Location
Manchester
I think there are old signs on the outside of Essex Road

Mentioned:-
London Marylebone still has its red pillars, benches and branding on the LU ticket area. There's also a gold NSE flash on the station lettering on the exterior
Last time I was at London Euston there were still a few NSE clocks are they still there?
On the Waterloo and city line platforms at the edge there is a NSE flash right at the edge in the yellow line bit
As mentioned the Northern City Line still has its full NSE tiles, signs etc
There are some trains (Greater Anglia region) which still have the blue flash moquette
There are also some trains (Class 321s I think) which still have the blue flash in the cabs
Silverlink used to have NSE blue flash seats but that's all long dead:(
The croxly line (idk what it's called) still has NSE totems, signs, red railing at the street level dispute being closed since the late 90s(?)
There are/were a few NSE signs at Barking but I don't know whether they're still there (I think they were on the Hammersmith and City terminating platforms but I'm not sure)
On the Watford DC line there used to be a lot of NSE signs with stickers over the flash. Queens Park defiantly had them but I think they've been removed by Lodnon Overground/TfL
At London Charring Cross there was/is a London fire brigade thing which has the NSE flash on
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
NSE Permit To Travel machine still in use at Twyford, use to love these machines, buying one as proof of visiting that station!
 

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2013
Messages
2,588
Location
Leeds
St Leonards Depot has managed to cling onto its sign. "Regional Mechanical and Electrical Engineer's Department" indeed! Now its used for maintaining Southern 171s and Southeastern 375s, I believe.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/46341292@N05/5882448886/
Signalbox at Aylesford station, photographed apparently in November:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3227696
I suspect if a beautification project comes up for the station, it'll be replaced with one in Southeastern colours pretty sharpish. Won't be long before that relic has faded completely... :(
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,663
Location
Hampshire
And if you want to know where some of this Ex Network SouthEast seems to dissapear too, how about of all places the Stafford County Showground. No, not joking, was there last year and the year before for Dubfreeze & Busfreeze and noticed most if not all of the bins are Ex NSE. :lol:
 

charley_17/7

Member
Joined
1 Sep 2006
Messages
205
Location
Milton Keynes Central
Milton Keynes Central still has NSE-blue signage in the platform waiting rooms and throughout the multi-storey car park.

When I was at Cheddington recently doing some training, I discovered they still have a NSE-branded leaflet rack and two red bins, so took these two photos:

9817999_orig.jpg


5611_orig.jpg
 
Joined
24 Nov 2008
Messages
57
Chalfont & Latimer still has an NSE car stop at the Southern end of the Southbound platform. Stonebridge Park also still has two NSE double arrow + roundel combo signs on the bridge. (Both are LUL managed stations.)

There is STILL a permit to travel machine at Custom House station (DLR) now SIX YEARS after the station was closed and the track ripped up!

There are also NSE signs at Barking LUL platforms, though these have the flashes covered over.

Its funny that 19 years from NSE ceasing to exist, there is still a big chunk of its branding to be found, sometimes in the most peculiar of places.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top