• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Near 24/7 railway, potential for another grayrigg??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Be3G

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2012
Messages
1,599
Location
Chingford
How many routes could actually have a viable 24 hour service ? The Thameslink route is probably the only real 24 hour service in the country with an hourly service from around 01:00 to 04:00 apart from Saturday night Sunday morning and it is well patronised with standing room only on certain trains.
There used to be all night services to Southend and to Hertford North and Stevenage at a time when the St.Pancras-Bedford daytime service was just an hourly DMU. What is it that makes the all-night service viable on the Thameslink route yet not on others?

The line from Paddington to Reading has an almost 24-hour service, with the biggest weekday gap between trains being 1.5h London-bound and 2h the other way.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,312
The line from Paddington to Reading has an almost 24-hour service, with the biggest weekday gap between trains being 1.5h London-bound and 2h the other way.

... as hinted at earlier in the thread, it's always much easier to do this on a four track railway without impacting so much on maintenance opportunities.
 

Be3G

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2012
Messages
1,599
Location
Chingford
Indeed, was just pointing it out as I've noticed before it's a sometimes overlooked nearly overnight railway service in London! :)
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,312
Indeed, was just pointing it out as I've noticed before it's a sometimes overlooked nearly overnight railway service in London! :)

Ah I see what you mean. I'd agree it is a bit of an unknown service in comparison with some others.
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
I would say that not that many people know that there is a near 24 hour service between Euston and Milton Keynes. Again, a 4 track railway. The busiest 4-track commuter railway in the country doesn't, however, have a 24 hour service, and indeed the gap in service on the line into Waterloo has increased since the new timetable to allow for more engineering work.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,774
Location
Yorkshire
The line from Paddington to Reading has an almost 24-hour service, with the biggest weekday gap between trains being 1.5h London-bound and 2h the other way.

That's interesting - that 0353 from Reading appears to be fairly new.

When I moved to live near that line in 2001 there was an hourly overnight service in each direction (apart from on a Saturday night when obviously few people would have wanted to go out). I was very impressed. Unfortunately that disappeared in 2001 (I think it may have been the December timetable change) with rather larger gaps appearing in the timetable. I did end up with quite a few nights out based on trying very hard not to miss the 0334 out of Paddington as that did feel a long time at that time of the morning until the 0522.
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,934
I would say that not that many people know that there is a near 24 hour service between Euston and Milton Keynes. Again, a 4 track railway. The busiest 4-track commuter railway in the country doesn't, however, have a 24 hour service, and indeed the gap in service on the line into Waterloo has increased since the new timetable to allow for more engineering work.
It's interesting to note that, perhaps not surprisingly, those four-track railways which have a 24hr service are, for the most part, paired 'by use'; it is, of course, much harder to arrange meaningful engineering access on a four-track railway paired 'by direction'.
 

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
When I moved to live near that line in 2001 there was an hourly overnight service in each direction (apart from on a Saturday night when obviously few people would have wanted to go out).
Why would demand have been lowest on Saturday into Sunday? I'd have thought Friday into Saturday and Saturday into Sunday would have the highest demand.

Unfortunately that disappeared in 2001 (I think it may have been the December timetable change) with rather larger gaps appearing in the timetable. I did end up with quite a few nights out based on trying very hard not to miss the 0334 out of Paddington as that did feel a long time at that time of the morning until the 0522.
The timetable would have changed in May or September back then. The December change was introduced in 2004 in order to implement an EU directive.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,774
Location
Yorkshire
Why would demand have been lowest on Saturday into Sunday? I'd have thought Friday into Saturday and Saturday into Sunday would have the highest demand.

Sorry, should have put a smiley in there. I would have thought that too, but the railway seems to count Saturday night as very early Sunday morning and assume noone wants to travel (I know that they want to do important engineering work but of all the nights I expect higher passenger demand then).

The timetable would have changed in May or September back then. The December change was introduced in 2004 in order to implement an EU directive.

Ah, probably September then. I know I was quite excited by it after having had a last train at 2232 which required a massive run to get a last bus or a rather long walk. And then disappointed when half the night trains disappeard at a stroke.
 

Be3G

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2012
Messages
1,599
Location
Chingford
Why would demand have been lowest on Saturday into Sunday? I'd have thought Friday into Saturday and Saturday into Sunday would have the highest demand.

I think it's sarcasm! I used to have a similar complaint about the line to Hertford North, in that for some bizarre reason the night they stopped running the earliest was Saturday night. Fixed now though, usefully.
 

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
I know that they want to do important engineering work but of all the nights I expect higher passenger demand then).
The later start of service on many routes on Sundays allows extra time for overnight engineering work.
 

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
3,191
Location
London
The fact that it serves both Luton & Gatwick Airports, and goes via London ?
Passengers travelling to airports for early flights need even earlier trains than they did pre-9/11, with having to check-in ridiculously early these days.
Late-night revellers travelling North from St Pancras or South from Blackfriars / London Bridge make use of trains running in the small hours.
These two factors may add up to enough custom to make the services viable, financially-speaking ?

Can't say I have seen too many people off to the airport on the 01:48 (and many other late night trains) out of St.Pancras (and standing room only).
It's only after around 4 a.m. that it is noticeable people are heading to catch flights.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,774
Location
Yorkshire
Can't say I have seen too many people off to the airport on the 01:48 (and many other late night trains) out of St.Pancras (and standing room only).
It's only after around 4 a.m. that it is noticeable people are heading to catch flights.

There may well be airport workers who may not stand out with luggage etc.

I beleive it's because of airport workers that this bus service in a fairly rural area starts just after 0330 7 days a week - http://www.highpeakbuses.com/Documents/199 - Skyline.pdf

(and presumably that's meeting a particular shift start time which explains the subsequent gap from Buxton on a Sunday).

I've landed at Gatwick and caught the 0130 Thameslink train Northbound before now (admittedly on a delayed flight, but I and many others would have had problems without it).
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,951
Location
UK
I've often taken the very late/early trains from St Pancras and many people onboard aren't with suitcases and just look very tried/drunk.

But, if people are arriving very late at Gatwick (or Luton) and using a train to get into London then I'd not see them as they've already got off. And later on, nearer the first flights in the morning I'd expect to see them then - as indeed I've often been one myself.

The fact is, the trains during the night are seldom empty and prove that if there were trains through the night on other routes, they'd likely be used too. Why not, given we live in a 24 hour society?

I hope HS2 will be designed to operate 24/7, by allowing maintenance work to be carried out on a single line with the other one still running. Indeed, I'd hope all new lines and major upgrades would make 24 hour running possible except for the most major upgrade work.
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,061
Location
Reston City Centre
The fact that the ECML work over-ran last weekend shows that we're not as obsessed about getting the railway re-opened (regardless of the engineering delays) as the OP suggests
 

Dave1987

On Moderation
Joined
20 Oct 2012
Messages
4,563
The fact that the ECML work over-ran last weekend shows that we're not as obsessed about getting the railway re-opened (regardless of the engineering delays) as the OP suggests

I'm sorry but some engineering work over ran on GEML because 6cm of snow fell on top of the new over head wires that had been put out ready to get on with the job. Apparently NR workers were working in blizzard conditions so the works overran. But SOME passengers demanded to know why the engineering work overran, who was responsible etc and wouldn't accept that the weather had hampered the works. In fact I believe some were calling for the person responsible to be sacked! I worry that there might be a tendency to rush to give back possessions on time because of the consequences. This is my opinion not fact! I also think twitter was the worst thing that ever came to the railway and that it should be got rid of. What some ppl say on it is unreal.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
. In fact I believe some were calling for the person responsible to be sacked!

That's a pretty routine demand. In my days over there, written death threats were not unusual following a big overrun. Genuinely!

You just have to have a thick skin, note which train they said they were on, then regulate it behind a stopper for the rest of the week. That bit I made up.
 

mtmikethom

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
168
Location
Essex
I always thought Main lines and some secondary routes were 24 hour railways anyhow, as was touched on there is freight about, as recent as the 80's there were plenty of newspaper trains on the lines coming out of London & Manchester in many directions, there was more mail trains around also, Long distance Night passengers trains especially in the summer months, I think there used to be 5 or 6 Passenger trains during the night running along the East coast main line towards Kings Cross.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,951
Location
UK
I always thought Main lines and some secondary routes were 24 hour railways anyhow, as was touched on there is freight about, as recent as the 80's there were plenty of newspaper trains on the lines coming out of London & Manchester in many directions, there was more mail trains around also, Long distance Night passengers trains especially in the summer months, I think there used to be 5 or 6 Passenger trains during the night running along the East coast main line towards Kings Cross.

It's interesting that the night services presumably went as the railway went through a state of decline, but now usage is the highest ever - surely some TOCs would be wanting to try and reinstate them?

I know FCC wanted to run later trains on the ECML but couldn't as Network Rail takes possession at set times, apparently whether work needs doing or not. Thus, the last train is 0136.

Perhaps there are certain times locked out that aren't available for timetabling passenger services? If so, that doesn't mean it will always need to be like that?
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,061
Location
Reston City Centre
I'm sorry but some engineering work over ran on GEML because 6cm of snow fell on top of the new over head wires that had been put out ready to get on with the job. Apparently NR workers were working in blizzard conditions so the works overran. But SOME passengers demanded to know why the engineering work overran, who was responsible etc and wouldn't accept that the weather had hampered the works. In fact I believe some were calling for the person responsible to be sacked! I worry that there might be a tendency to rush to give back possessions on time because of the consequences. This is my opinion not fact! I also think twitter was the worst thing that ever came to the railway and that it should be got rid of. What some ppl say on it is unreal.

If there was a danger that we were too obsessed with getting services working again that we ignored the time taken for engineering work then this was surely a time that it *could* have happend?

The fact that engineering work over ran (rather than having to stop part way through and desperately restart services) weakens your whole argument, sorry.

Yeah, some idiots on Twitter were mouthing off, show me a day when that doesn't happen?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's interesting that the night services presumably went as the railway went through a state of decline, but now usage is the highest ever - surely some TOCs would be wanting to try and reinstate them?

I think that a later/earlier service on some lines could be fairly busy (given how some large cities really are "twenty four hour" in reality)...

...but if we can't get sufficient staff to work on a Sunday daytime then I'd hate to think of the problems getting sufficient people rostered to work through the night (and you'd have to guarantee staff availability - its one thing seeing your service cancelled due to lack of staff on a Sunday daytime and there's another one in half an hour, but if people saw their 03:15 cancelled there'd be bother)
 

Dave1987

On Moderation
Joined
20 Oct 2012
Messages
4,563
If there was a danger that we were too obsessed with getting services working again that we ignored the time taken for engineering work then this was surely a time that it *could* have happend?

The fact that engineering work over ran (rather than having to stop part way through and desperately restart services) weakens your whole argument, sorry.

Yeah, some idiots on Twitter were mouthing off, show me a day when that doesn't happen?

Sorry but I think the amount of broken rails recently is testament to the fact out rail network is getting hammered by the intensity of the services that are operating. Maybe this shows that not enough time is being given to maintaining the line? As some people have pointed out passengers don't care what goes on as long as there is a train service provided when they wanted. I heard a passenger complain that sunday services don't start early enough at the weekend. When I was pointed out that NR need to maintain the line I think his comment was along the lines of why dont they do this work overnight. Im sure a lot of passengers truely believe that all engineering works take just a couple of hours to do. In the "modern" world passengers want services that run very early in the morning to very late at night. The media love the passengers that make a real song and dance about the fact the railway isnt providing a service that matches their needs. I know image and perception is everything (Virgin prime example) so I worry that they will try to satisfy more and more people at the downfall of maintenance. Again this is my opinion and not a statement of fact.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,951
Location
UK
...but if we can't get sufficient staff to work on a Sunday daytime then I'd hate to think of the problems getting sufficient people rostered to work through the night (and you'd have to guarantee staff availability - its one thing seeing your service cancelled due to lack of staff on a Sunday daytime and there's another one in half an hour, but if people saw their 03:15 cancelled there'd be bother)

That's true. In fact, I wonder if some 24 hours trains aren't running not because of NR, not because of maintenance, but simply because staff don't want to work those hours.

It would be a shame if that was the reason some people couldn't have a near 24 hour service.
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,934
Sundays might be outside the working week for some, but (weekday) nights certainly aren't! Whether the union(s) would have any grounds for meaningful objections to the additional or revised diagrams, I don't know, but I don't think they'd need to rely on volunteers for overnight trains (but they would probably need to take on more staff to cover the extra work).
 

Silv1983

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2012
Messages
527
Location
Somewhere in Stockport
I think some stations like Southport couldn't be served overnight as the noise generated by trains working the 20mph curves into the station causing a huge amount of flange squeal would surely breach environmental laws of some kind.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,951
Location
UK
I think some stations like Southport couldn't be served overnight as the noise generated by trains working the 20mph curves into the station causing a huge amount of flange squeal would surely breach environmental laws of some kind.

What came first, the railway or the nearby houses?

I'd hope that we don't see railways stopping overnight because residents might complain, or some do-gooder decides to stop them anyway just in case a resident might complain.
 

D1009

Established Member
Joined
22 Feb 2012
Messages
3,166
Location
Stoke Gifford
What came first, the railway or the nearby houses?

I'd hope that we don't see railways stopping overnight because residents might complain, or some do-gooder decides to stop them anyway just in case a resident might complain.
Some of the NIMBYs near me are certainly complaining about the proposed IEP depot at Stoke Gifford, even though the South Wales main line which already runs 24/7 for freight is on an embankment between the depot site and the houses, but that's somewhat off topic.

I think part of the problem is the way services are specified by the DfT for the franchised TOCs to operate. Anything outside that would have to be well worthwhile for the TOC to be interested.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,951
Location
UK
Near a bit city, I am sure trains through the night could be profitable and many transport operators know that even if some late services aren't that well used, it can encourage more usage in the day as people travel knowing they can get home without 'risk'.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top