• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most surprising place you've bumped into forum members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ert47

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2010
Messages
688
After missing my usual train to work and taking a detour, I bumped into Yorkie in East Croydon the day after a meet in London
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,538
Location
Yorkshire
After missing my usual train to work and taking a detour, I bumped into Yorkie in East Croydon the day after a meet in London
Ah yes, as soon as I saw the last post was by you, I remembered that! :lol:

I have regularly bumped into 91101 (and sometimes also 1D53), first at Edinburgh Waverley, and again several times at York & King's Cross.

And another: motherwell334 on the day of the Strathclyde challenge. Asking for the best way to change platforms onto a ridiculously tight connection at Dalmuir gave the game away!

I am sure there are more though, which I can't remember right now!

(Also I don't count station staff because I am usually expecting to see them when at their stations and often looking out for them!)
 

33056

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2007
Messages
2,424
Location
On a train somewhere in Europe
Can't say that I have bumped into any forum members in any particularly surprising places but did find myself on ANorthernGuard's train once and bumped into High Dyke whilst trundling round Lincolnshire with the camera.
 

trentside

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2010
Messages
3,393
Location
Messroom
Funnily enough, bumped into ainsworth74 at York today.

I was alighting from a TPE service as he was boarding - quite a coincidence that we used the same door!
 

telstarbox

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
6,387
Location
Wennington Crossovers
I've met Telstarbox in Manchester's Northern Quarter before, but was in a little bit of a rush so didn't have time to stop (I was trying to get my family across from Piccadilly to Victoria so we could travel onto Blackburn, something not helped by the Airport all-stopper limping into Piccadilly 25 late)

Is that why you didn't stop to chat? :)
 

Lrd

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
3,018
I've seen island waiting for a train at Elephant and Castle before but I was on the train. Also seen Techniquest on the footbridge at Worcester Shrub Hill during the London Midland Class 150 farewell but he disappeared and I couldn't find him.
 

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
I can't remember if it was planned or not, but I've found Jordy and yourself at Norwich on the EMT HST tour via Dereham, on this occasion we also found a railway criminal of some description hiding in the Quiet Coach of a London bound train having disembarked your tour.

Was that the one in May 2011? You probably seen me then, I was at Norwich, Wymondham and Dereham that day as well! I was a member on here at the time, but I was banned :oops: (Apologies if this comes under discussing moderating decisions)
 

trc666

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2005
Messages
232
Location
Islington
I didn't know Urban Gateline was who he was until a good few months after we started SWT, we were on the same training course and everything and he went to Clapham Junction whilst I went to London Waterloo. I've had Yorkie pass through my barriers on at least two occasions and have also seen headshot119, went and did the Clapham High Street - Kensington Olympia parly train with him after work once. I see Matt Taylor quite often working trains, saw him last night while I was sorting out wheelchair assistance for a passenger.
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
I wouldn't know another forum member out and about even if I wanted to. I've got no idea who you lot are.
 

Bob Ames

Member
Joined
25 May 2013
Messages
108
Location
Wigan
I wouldn't know another forum member out and about even if I wanted to. I've got no idea who you lot are.

LOL! Me neither, but then I'm new here - what's your excuse? ;) It's possible I may have met someone from here, does this describe anyone here?: An elderly gentleman of Jewish descent sat next to me on a south-bound VT service on 27 June (390 119, coach D, seat 47 - he boarded at 13:04 at Preston). He saw that I had seating plans and said, "Do you like trains?" Well... we spent the next 13 minutes discussing the M-L electrification (specifically OHLE versus 3rd Rail) which eerily reminded me of a thread I read here...
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
I bet I see some members next Saturday and on the August 10th, as I will be out and about (for once).

If you spot me on my travels, there's no prize unfortunately, just bragging rights on here for finding the "lesser spotted infrequent travelling Scunthonian" :P
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
I will not accept anyone moaning on here about not knowing anyone. There are plenty of events advertised all year round so no excuses.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,129
Location
Redcar
Aye! Anyone whose moaning get yourself to a meet, we have them at several different parts of the country so there's not much in the way of an excuse.
 

ryan125hst

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
1,327
Location
Retford
Actually, I have met someone from the forum. I didn't know at the time, but it turns out that I saw wensley while waiting for a train back home from York.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,357
Location
Bolton
I'm not sure anyone was really moaning... In any case that might not be the way everyone looks at it. I almost certainly would never have gone were I not encouraged to. And I'm quite glad that I was :D

Now, that might not apply to people who have commented here by virtue of the fact that they have done so.

Of course, there is no lack of choice for something to go to :)
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
Am I missing a joke here? Is a wheeled chair different to a wheelchair?
I thought they were talking about those chairs you get in offices?
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,357
Location
Bolton
Am I missing a joke here? Is a wheeled chair different to a wheelchair?

Are you OK bb21? This has happened to you a couple times on here! ;)

Anyway as luck would have it I bumped into someone at Cornbrook this afternoon. Calling richardio123? Are you here?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top