• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most surprising place you've bumped into forum members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richardio123

Member
Joined
20 Nov 2012
Messages
105
Location
Fareham
Are you OK bb21? This has happened to you a couple times on here! ;)

Anyway as luck would have it I bumped into someone at Cornbrook this afternoon. Calling richardio123? Are you here?

I am :) and this is also my first post on rail forums as well :)
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
I ran into bb21 on the 2224 EMT from Oxford Road to 'EMPKWY' - and he just stopped me from stranding myself in Crewe by pointing out that the 2236 from Manchester to Shrewsbury wasn't calling at Wilmslow. We had a good conversation about how we were going to wipe the floor at the West Midlands challenge <D
 

Eng274

Member
Joined
19 Aug 2010
Messages
796
There's a slim chance I've travelled on a train worked by scotrail84 or motherwell334 at some point, not sure if there are any other FSR guards/TEs in this forum.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,530
Location
Yorkshire
starmill - accidentally meeting someone who hasn't even posted yet? You deserve an award for that!

richardio123 - Welcome! You normally need 5+ posts to access Forum Meets and PMs, but I've enabled both for you now.
There's a slim chance I've travelled on a train worked by scotrail84 or motherwell334 at some point
motherwell344 has correctly guessed who I was!
not sure if there are any other FSR guards/TEs in this forum.
There are indeed. Hope to meet Guards CarterUSM (who rarely posts) and reb0118 one day (reb0118 next month hopefully)
 

Eng274

Member
Joined
19 Aug 2010
Messages
796
starmill - accidentally meeting someone who hasn't even posted yet? You deserve an award for that!

richardio123 - Welcome! You normally need 5+ posts to access Forum Meets and PMs, but I've enabled both for you now.

motherwell344 has correctly guessed who I was!

There are indeed. Hope to meet Guards CarterUSM (who rarely posts) and reb0118 one day (reb0118 next month hopefully)

I don't think I'm that conspicuous.. Is there a discreet Masonic-like secret gesture that forum members use to identify each other? :lol:
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,530
Location
Yorkshire
I don't think I'm that conspicuous.. Is there a discreet Masonic-like secret gesture that forum members use to identify each other? :lol:
Well in the case of motherwell334, I think the giveaway was that we were doing a Strathclyde Challenge, he was already looking out for us, and I was trying to make a +1 connection at Dalmuir, and was asking for the best door for the footbridge. That and, I think his words were... "that's not a local accent" ;)

However the idea of a secret gesture could be interesting, perhaps something like in this clip (timestamp: 15:55)? ;)
 

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
Whatever happened to the RailUK badges?

Are they still available? I have seen them mentioned in threads from years ago and also if you go into your user CP, go to paid subscriptions near the bottom of the control panel on the left and then a load of postage options are available, I got as far as logging into Paypal.
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
I bet I see some members next Saturday and on the August 10th, as I will be out and about (for once).

If you spot me on my travels, there's no prize unfortunately, just bragging rights on here for finding the "lesser spotted infrequent travelling Scunthonian" :P

Did anyone manage to get a rare sighting of me today then? I was easy to spot, as I've got wild hair currently, was wearing a Scunthorpe t-shirt, and rushing about like a loon when I found the Northern Line was closed at Euston at 1555 :oops:
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
I bumped into furlong on a Newark to Market Rasen train when he boarded at Lincoln. Very unexpected!
 

313103

Established Member
Joined
13 May 2006
Messages
1,595
I have met one person Bronzeonion. Before I knew who he was, now we often meet up when im working a train. Must be one of the few people I know who sees me working!

I also met Snapper on a couple of occasions.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
Can't quite match the OP, but bb21 and I bumped into louis97 at Paddington earlier this evening. In December 2010 Max and I saw yorksrob at St Pancras, and some time in 2011 I was on my own and saw Ivo (and a now-banned member) running through Bank station whilst attempting a DLR challenge.

Also some time in 2011 sonic2009 boarded a HST that myself, yorkie, and someone else (possibly Nick W) were travelling on and ended up walking past our table. This was shortly after we were discussing how one would work out the probability of another forum member travelling on the same train as you.

Before that I've been on a few ordinary trains (ie. services that are not specials or 'different' where you'd possibly not be that surprised to see someone else) and bumped into members from times gone by but who don't post that much any more.
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,668
So it catches fire? :lol:

How about a special RailUK Whistle instead, one that makes an entirely different tone to that of a Guard or Dispatcher so that it does not interfere with the Railway but has a common sound to attract other RailUK members ;)
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
How about a special RailUK Whistle instead, one that makes an entirely different tone to that of a Guard or Dispatcher so that it does not interfere with the Railway but has a common sound to attract other RailUK members ;)

A Class 37 horn is what you are looking at I believe. ;)
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
I havent knowingly met anyone, but I have sat inside 222007, which shares its unit number with the alias of a forum member. And I've probably bumped into trentside unknowingly, as I think he works at a station I have used
 
Last edited by a moderator:

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
I am sure I have bumped into at least one member over my last month of interesting rail journeys over almost every county in the South (which no doubt will be mentioned in one form or another in any relevant future postings)... but I don't know which one(s)! And nobody tried to ask me who I was, so I assume my cover was not blown (I jest)... :p
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,356
Location
Bolton
I am really starting to get nervous now. I can count 8 members that I have unwittingly met for the first time. Some people recognise me too, including this afternoon when I was recognised by someone I've never met before and had no idea who they were. Apparently they were a member on here and knew me from nothing more than the information on my railcard, which, suffice to say, freaked me out a lot.

Its OK if they really are a member, but I had no idea there is enough information on here for someone to recognise me based on nothing but a few seconds glance at my railcard, which doesn't have my username printed anywhere on it!

I take it this doesn't happen to anyone else? That sounds fairly typical of me to keep making a fool of myself in this way :cry:
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,530
Location
Yorkshire
I don't think you have anything to worry about!

That reminds me, I recognised fishnchipsrules when with you, and various others, but I didn't approach him because he was working and with colleagues and may not have appreciated the intrusion.

I was on my way back from an event at Wembley and class313 boarded my train at West Hampstead, as well as bumping into him and bronzeonion a few months later, randomly at Willesden Jn, and a month or two later, saw him again as he was working on the gateline at a station I was meeting someone at.
And for a fourth time I have bumped into class313 again, I was with furlong, maniacmartin, Mojo, Ainsworth74 an District at St Pancras, and he appeared from the FCC platforms, on his way to catch the sleeper. The first thing he said was, I think, "Not again!":lol:
 

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
Today at Chester whilst waiting for the Gerald (which never turned up) me, an older chap and another guy were talking about it and speculating whether it's going to turn up or not, the older guy was getting info from the staff and it was then put onto platform 4 before being cancelled. Anyway I just asked the other guy if he happened to be on a rail forum and it turned out he was Sprinterman! Total coincidence, just happened to be around and overhear me and the older guy speaking about the Gerald! Nice to meet you mate!

If anybody's wondering, I was headed to Fflint and he was headed to Bangor. In the end I had to abandon Fflint and return home and he got the 22:04
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,494
Location
Yorkshire
Actually, I have remembered I have unexpectedly bumped into a forum member where it has taken me by surprise.

I ended up meeting Andy at Mirfield station as I was on the way to Hebden Bridge to meet up with forum members one evening. I knew they were going to be at the meal but wasn't aware they had spent the afternoon travelling round the area and were waiting for the same train as I was heading to catch. Made the trip on the typical Pacer to Hebden Bridge somewhat more interesting though :)
 

steamybrian

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
2,003
Location
Kent
It makes me wonder how many members I have seen but we have not known each other. ...!
Another person I know is HSTHoward but unsure if he is member of the forum but he regularly submits films to "youtube".
 

SprinterMan

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
2,341
Location
Hertford
Today at Chester whilst waiting for the Gerald (which never turned up) me, an older chap and another guy were talking about it and speculating whether it's going to turn up or not, the older guy was getting info from the staff and it was then put onto platform 4 before being cancelled. Anyway I just asked the other guy if he happened to be on a rail forum and it turned out he was Sprinterman! Total coincidence, just happened to be around and overhear me and the older guy speaking about the Gerald! Nice to meet you mate!

If anybody's wondering, I was headed to Fflint and he was headed to Bangor. In the end I had to abandon Fflint and return home and he got the 22:04

Indeed so, I was travelling from Sudbury to Bangor via Carlisle, and was booked on the WAG from Chester to Bangor. The departure screens claimed it would leave Chester shortly after the last Virgin service to Holyhead, but soon after that departed the trains was further delayed and then ultimately cancelled. Was nice to meet you too mate :D
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
Today at Chester whilst waiting for the Gerald (which never turned up) me, an older chap and another guy were talking about it and speculating whether it's going to turn up or not, the older guy was getting info from the staff and it was then put onto platform 4 before being cancelled. Anyway I just asked the other guy if he happened to be on a rail forum and it turned out he was Sprinterman! Total coincidence, just happened to be around and overhear me and the older guy speaking about the Gerald! Nice to meet you mate!

In the meantime, I'd arrived at Chester station platform 5 off the 1950 ex Manchester Piccadilly at 2050, and crossed the footbridge to 3b for "Gerald" onwards to North Wales, which was scheduled to use that platform shortly before the 2117 Virgin. Then at little later, Gerald's expected time moved to 2119, and the Virgin was transferred to platform 4.

So, whilst you and Sprinterman were waiting for "Gerald" on platform 3b, I'd crossed over the bridge and back again to board the 2117 VT onward, which eventually left about 2120.


So there were at least three forum members on Chester station between 2050 and 2117! Perhaps we should start carrying rolled-up copies of "The Times" under our arms! :D
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top