• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most expensive ticket you've bought or sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

W230

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2012
Messages
1,217
Back in 2001 Virgin were doing some deal where you could travel advance anywhere for £11. I then dropped my tickets somewhere on route to the station and had to get an open return Preston - Bodmin Parkway as I had plans. Think it was ~ £105 though the nice lady did let me use my railcard so think it was £78 or something. Was gutted as was a poor student!

Edit: Just looked and the ticket is £169 nowadays!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,778
Location
Newport, South Wales
My annual season ticket from Newport to Cathays (Cardiff, not China!) is currently £656.

I say currently, as a few years ago, the cost was over £700, but they revised it, hence the now lower figure. I pay for this via an advance of salary from my employers which is repaid at source, so I don't miss the monthly amount.

I can't remember what the cost of the highest value leisure travel ticket I have bought, but it's nowhere near some of those quoted previously. I have spend a couple of hundred pounds at one time, but this would have been for a number of advance purchase tickets bought on line, with the various journeys split as much as possible to get the best deals.
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
The most expensive ticket I have purchased with my own money is a £3.60 return to Worcester, however the most expensive ticket which I have used/currently use is my scholars season pass to Worcester, which costs around £150.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,764
Location
Yorkshire
With recent laws on money laundering does this not pop a red flag at a ticket office or is the process of ID required to apply for a season ticket sufficient to allow for this.

I'm not sure.

I need quite a bit of ID to buy my season ticket including authorisation from my
employer so I may not be a problem from that point of view.
 

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2010
Messages
2,662
Heard of a few colleagues selling an All Line Rover. Most I have ever sold (in one ticket) is a 1st class SOR to Euston from Goostrey £379
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
The most expensive ticket I've ever seen was a First Class All Lines Rover - nearly £1000 for a week!

We have discussed the male who purchased it, and the dodgy cheques/credit cards he used on past threads, I think!
 

johntea

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
3,052
The funniest expensive ticket I ever bought was a Leeds to Cambridge open return for about £60 - £70 after railcard discount.

Got to York (as this was quite late in the evening) and the ECML was in chaos! Eventually boarded a heavily delayed train which ended up having to terminate at Peterborough where some taxis got laid on.

During the journey I found my friends hotel wasn't actually in central Cambridge but the taxi driver was happy enough to drop me off there (Ssh!) and I got delay repay on the ticket too! So in the end, it effectively worked out as a profit in a weird way :lol:
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
Lucky git. That's about what I take in two days!!



Best tickets I've sold - NMP-7day all zones 1st class, £225. Also had 25 Hungarians with six children on a saturday morning get on at Apsley, all wanting one day travelcards. Of course, it was easier to print them all a ticket than explain, over the language barrier that 1 ticket could be used for 4 people, and I did the lot as GroupSaves. It eventually spat out 31 tickets by the time I'd got to Harrow. Total came to about 190 quid, I think.



I've also had a school trip return from Woburn Sands to Bletchley, just to take the kids on a train. Total fare was only about 80 notes, sadly.

Most I've taken in a day?? 889.40 on an early shift. Anyone taken more than that as a Guard??


£1800 is my record for a days takings. Admittedly that included 6 rovers.
 

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2011
Messages
1,704
I win! I have had my annual season ticket uploaded on to Southerns The Key. According to my Gold Record Card my annual ticket cost me £266,800.00!

I am looking forward to my first delay repay claim!
 

lincolnshire

Member
Joined
12 Jun 2011
Messages
884
Cost of tickets.

I can remember being asked to collect two train tickets for a guy to go to meetings in London. One meeting was on Tuesday and the other on Thursday and he had to be there before 9am. The total cost of the two tickets was over £450 and that was about 5 years ago.

The best bit was he was a Network Rail employee, who in BR days would have travelled on a free ticket or pass for nothing.

Oh the joys of a privatisation; the the cost it brings for employees to get to meetings etc. Every little helps the train operating companies get by.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top