Just seen a £325w Stockport - Potters Bar anytime return.
I was told that a season only pays for itself if you do just over 5 return journeys a week (Gold cards notwithstanding)
Guess there's a distance thing involved as well (that statement was for a fairly short distance)
I thought it was about 4 journeys - and would be less for longer term seasons
I thought it was about 4 journeys - and would be less for longer term seasons
I was told that a season only pays for itself if you do just over 5 return journeys a week (Gold cards notwithstanding)
Guess there's a distance thing involved as well (that statement was for a fairly short distance)
I was told that a season only pays for itself if you do just over 5 return journeys a week (Gold cards notwithstanding)
Guess there's a distance thing involved as well (that statement was for a fairly short distance)
I thought it was about 4 journeys - and would be less for longer term seasons
No idea of the cost, but I issued a guy with a repeat (His tenth) first class Annual between Kings Cross and York back in 1984. I still have the one he surrendered somewhere. He said he did an average two / three trips a week over the course of the year but saved a fortune with the season and doubtless had some serious Deltic mileage!
On some routes a 7 day season ticket is cheaper than one anytime return!
Milton Keynes Central-Manchester:
SOR £209.00
7DS £208.50
Surrey seems to be a magnet for extremely poor value season tickets.
Godalming - Hook, SDR £8.30, 7DS £86.70 (x10.4)
Witley - North Camp, SDR £6.50, 7DS £56.40 (x8.7)
Haslemere - Camberley, SDR £10.30, 7DS £88.10 (x8.5)
Woking - Hook, SDR £8.20, 7DS £66.70 (x8.1)
There is an unbelievable differential for that journey! The Off-Peak Return (both +Any Permitted) is only £82.40!
Back in the 1980s, long distance Seasons were seriously discounted in relation to the normal fare. The growth in long distance commuting in the late 1980s saw some hefty increases applied by Intercity to these journeys, so York - London will be less of a bargain now.
5.4 Season TicketsHave never used a season ticket, so would like to know if they can be used like a rover, i.e. do couple returns in a day or is each journey recorded so can only do one return each day?
....A season ticket offers the holderunlimited travel between the origin and the destination during its period of validity. A season ticket also offers the holder unlimited travel to/from any intermediate station along any permitted route between the origin and the destination. ....
I wonder if many people have a season ticket for two journeys a week. I find AP tickets far cheaper but I do have to have a spreadsheet to keep track of them all!A YRK to London annual season ticket is 53.1 times the cost of an anytime return, so easily worth it for 2 journeys a week in the peak.
Have never used a season ticket, so would like to know if they can be used like a rover, i.e. do couple returns in a day or is each journey recorded so can only do one return each day?
Portsmouth to Oban anytime return (warrant), £461.00