• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most Consistently Busy Passenger Route

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
3,191
Location
London
Every line has it's rush hours but which line (apart from the underground) is the most consistently busy round the clock? On Saturday night the 22:48 Bedford service out of St Pancras was standing room only and often the later trains are too. From personal experience I would think it is the Northern Thameslink service but is there a route that is busier round the clock?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Every line has it's rush hours but which line (apart from the underground) is the most consistently busy round the clock? On Saturday night the 22:48 Bedford service out of St Pancras was standing room only and often the later trains are too. From personal experience I would think it is the Northern Thameslink service but is there a route that is busier round the clock?

The 00:05 and 01:05 from Waterloo can be standing room only or sit next to the drunk guy whos about to puke. :(
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
I would say that the Cambridge - Kings Cross express service would have to qualify - even the 06:45 in the morning from Cambridge on a Saturday is relatively busy, the 10:15 is a nightmare, and coming out of London in the evening the trains remain busy until the last one.
 

Burkitt

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2008
Messages
131
Paddington to Oxford trains are always packed whenever I've been on them, weekday, Saturday, Sunday. Chiltern are on to a good thing with their planned services to Oxford from Marylebone.
 

NSE

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2010
Messages
1,919
I would say that the Cambridge - Kings Cross express service would have to qualify - even the 06:45 in the morning from Cambridge on a Saturday is relatively busy, the 10:15 is a nightmare, and coming out of London in the evening the trains remain busy until the last one.

Yeah I second that. It's a bum fight for seats fairly frequently off peak.
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
the 23:29 from Bath Spa is full and standing (Ex-[stn]BRI[/stn] service) on Saturday nights through to Trowbridge, only formed of a 2 car 150. In fact it pars with the loading of the 1644 peak hour service (also a sole 150) which is always full and standing.

I also have used the 0130 odds (IIRC) St Pancras to Bedford, and that was pretty well loaded, not full and standing but very little seating left
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Every line has it's rush hours but which line (apart from the underground) is the most consistently busy round the clock? On Saturday night the 22:48 Bedford service out of St Pancras was standing room only and often the later trains are too. From personal experience I would think it is the Northern Thameslink service but is there a route that is busier round the clock?

I nominate the 2225 St Pancras - Derby service on a Saturday. It's the last northbound intercity service yet is usually full and standing until at least Luton. After Bedford more than 2/3 of the passengers would have left.

I tend not to find it amusing if I get to the station too late and am travelling long-haul.

The 00:05 and 01:05 from Waterloo can be standing room only or sit next to the drunk guy whos about to puke. :(

The 0105 used to be formed of 2 sets of 450, and can still be fully occupied upon leaving Waterloo on Saturdays, when I used it. The situation improves greatly after Guildford Guildford.

There used to be a 0142 Strawberry Hill service after the 0105. Nowadays the 0142 no longer runs, I can only see the situation being worse than it used to.
 
Last edited:

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
The 0105 used to be formed of 2 sets of 450, and can still be fully occupied upon leaving Waterloo on Saturdays, when I used it. The situation improves greatly after Guildford.

There used to be a 0142 Strawberry Hill service after the 0105. Nowadays the 0142 no longer runs, I can only see the situation being worse than it used to.

the 01:05 goes to Southampton Central arr at 02:56 ;)

Stopping at places like Wimbledon and Surbiton I find if it is rammed you can usually find a seat after Woking and lots of them after Basingstoke.
 

Lrd

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
3,018
I caught a late night train from Waterloo (think it was 0035) to Southampton on a Monday night/Tuesday morning and wondered why it was a 10 car 444, luckily it was Bank Holiday and was empty so I had a whole coach to myself, no doubt it would have been busy every other night.
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
I caught a late night train from Waterloo (think it was 0035) to Southampton on a Monday night/Tuesday morning and wondered why it was a 10 car 444, luckily it was Bank Holiday and was empty so I had a whole coach to myself, no doubt it would have been busy every other night.

On a Friday don't bother getting a train from Waterloo in that direction after 16:00 ish unless you want to join in the rugby scrum for the barriers to get a seat.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
the 01:05 goes to Southampton Central arr at 02:56 ;)

Stopping at places like Wimbledon and Surbiton I find if it is rammed you can usually find a seat after Woking and lots of them after Basingstoke.

Haha, I meant Wokng, of course, not Guildford. Not the best time of the day for me.
 

bAzTNM

Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
342
In Glasgow, I'd have to say that Rutherglen to Glasgow Central is always mobbed, all times of the day.
 

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
The 18:20 from Waterloo to Exeter St Davids (formed of three 159s, although only the front one carries onto Exeter) is full and standing from Clapham Junction onwards.
 

Robinson

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2010
Messages
623
Location
Helensburgh
From my experience XC trains on the Manchester-Bournemouth route are always rammed, at least between Birmingham and Reading.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Manchester-Huddersfield-Leeds and Manchester-Bolton both have standing at off peak times. Manchester-Warrington-Liverpool and Manchester-Stockport-Sheffield can get fairly busy at off peak times too.
 

Robinson

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2010
Messages
623
Location
Helensburgh
Manchester-Huddersfield-Leeds and Manchester-Bolton both have standing at off peak times. Manchester-Warrington-Liverpool and Manchester-Stockport-Sheffield can get fairly busy at off peak times too.

I remember that well, as I spent 6 years at boarding school in Manchester travelling home to Scotland every holiday; TPE Blackpool trains always seemed to have 1st class declassified at least to Chorley.
 

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,892
Location
South Wales
17:10 Swansea - Cardiff Central - always full and standing, causing delays as people try to get off at places such as Llansamlet & Skewen. The 17:05 Swansea - Milford Haven service is always busy to at least Whitland although it seems to have reduced slightly now there is a departure to Carmarthen at 17:35.
 

150222

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2011
Messages
1,002
Trains between Manchester and Rochdale are always full if formed of any less than 3 cars. TPE Leeds to Manchester and Manchester to Bolton. Entire XC network.
 

Temple Meads

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2010
Messages
2,283
Location
Devon
Rush hour trains from Bristol Temple Meads to Bath Spa, specifically 158 hauled ones are like cattle trucks.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
17:10 Swansea - Cardiff Central - always full and standing, causing delays as people try to get off at places such as Llansamlet & Skewen. The 17:05 Swansea - Milford Haven service is always busy to at least Whitland although it seems to have reduced slightly now there is a departure to Carmarthen at 17:35.

I regularly catch the 1705 and it is horrendous. There ar eusually at least 10 people in each vestibule, as well as others standing along the carriages. This is with a 3 car, if a 2 car turnss up I don;t even try and get on!

A lot of people ge toff at Gowerton and Llanelli, including me, so I can't comment on how full it is after that.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Huddersfield - Man Vic locals are always full.

Increasingly these days as well, during the morning and evening peak, the Metro is full and standing on most of the network.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Yeah I second that. It's a bum fight for seats fairly frequently off peak.

I've caught last or near-last trains northbound out of Kings Cross to Cambridge (these are not non-stop mind) that are full, standing and 8 cars.
 

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
2,825
Location
Birmingham
To take this on a slight tangent, how much busier are the Cambridge to Kings Cross trains compared to the Cambridge to Liverpool Street trains? I know Kings Cross gives a faster journey time between Cambridge and London, but if you work in the city then you would probably have to catch the tube once you arrive at Kings Cross, whereas you could walk to the office if you arrived at Liverpool Street so the "door to door" time evens out somewhat. Surely this tempts a lot of people onto the NXEA trains?
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
it's hard to compare- especially during the day (not late evening) when the Express services run fast from Cambridge to Kings Cross- the Liverpool Street services are usually busier at the southern end of the route from my (off peak) experience.
 

pmgarvey

Member
Joined
25 May 2011
Messages
83
Only done it once offpeak but the Kings Cross service was well loaded but not full and standing by any stretch of the term
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
I have used both routes regularly outside the peaks - the Kings Cross expresses normally have a fair amount of people standing up, the Liverpool Street services are empty until they reach Audley End and/or Bishops Stortford, at which point they start to become busier. However if a Liverpool Street service is 8 cars outside of the peaks, then normally they don't seem to be too busy. Either way, I prefer to go to Liverpool Street (although this is due to the traction!).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top