• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most boring journeys between 2 Stations (Tunnels don’t count!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,567
Location
Lichfield
Wolverhampton - Shrewsbury.

Not sure why, but whenever I've done the Cambrian, I've always found that part tedious.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,567
Location
Lichfield
Liverpool to Manchester via the CLC, maybe because i've done it so many times that it feels like a chore to do

Same for me with the Cross-City North, stopping every 2 minutes doesn't help either.
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,425
Location
S Yorks, usually
HS1 is pretty dull apart from the brief excitement as you go over the Medway valley. HS2 is going to be even worse, just a concrete scar on the landscape for 100 miles straight.
HS1: I don’t know, there’s also swooping past Rainham Marshes with views of Thames shipping, birdlife and the Dartford bridge, also the stretches by the M20 where you‘re speeding past the speeding traffic, and bursting out of a tunnel through and over Ashford.
 

pitdiver

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2012
Messages
1,290
Location
Warsop Vale
Any journey that you do for sixteen years like commuting between Milton Keynes Central and London Euston.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,945
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Oh no, no. There's the excitement of trying to spot the 100 yards of embankment of the Oxford to Rugby railway just north of Fenny Compton on the up side.
And views of the old SMJ route joining and leaving near Fenny Compton, not to mention the remains of the GC branch to Woodford Halse north of Banbury.
There's the old LNWR route from Rugby east of Leamington, various canal views and there used to be a distant view of the chimney of the cement works at Southam which dominated the area - which is now very close to the HS2 route at Long Itchington.
 

lxfe_mxtterz

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2018
Messages
1,072
Location
Sarahdale (West of Emmerdale)
As per the title, I’m currently on the 1433 Kings Cross to Newcastle, and I’ve always thought the most boring bits are between Huntingdon and Peterborough, and then to Grantham, any other journeys between 2 station that are that boring! Worldwide suggestions welcome aswell
To be honest I find that entire section of the ECML between Peterborough and Doncaster mind-numbingly dull, and didn't think very much of the line between Doncaster and Leeds either. Much prefer the WCML by comparison, just feels a lot more interesting.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,793
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
To be honest I find that entire section of the ECML between Peterborough and Doncaster mind-numbingly dull, and didn't think very much of the line between Doncaster and Leeds either. Much prefer the WCML by comparison, just feels a lot more interesting.

Totally agree with this.

The Atherton line is mostly pretty boring, as another one. Pick a random pair of stations.
 

Magdalia

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2022
Messages
7,424
Location
The Fens
To be honest I find that entire section of the ECML between Peterborough and Doncaster mind-numbingly dull
During the campaign the Newark beet factory is a highlight!

The ECML either side of Doncaster isn't the same without power station cooling towers to look out for.
 

Whisky Papa

Member
Joined
8 Aug 2019
Messages
744
To be honest I find that entire section of the ECML between Peterborough and Doncaster mind-numbingly dull, and didn't think very much of the line between Doncaster and Leeds either. Much prefer the WCML by comparison, just feels a lot more interesting.

At least Doncaster - Peterborough is usually done pretty quickly. In February 2017, Storm Doris resulted in a 50mph speed limit being imposed south of Doncaster, making the journey to Peterborough incredibly tedious, plus the added concern of what connection to Cambridge we might eventually catch.

I've not done many longer distance journeys abroad, but I recall finding Berlin - Hamburg pretty featureless outside the suburbs of the two cities.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,468
Location
Somerset
I've not travelled by rail much outside the UK, but the Altmark between Wolfsburg and Berlin was very dull.
Any journey across swathes of the north German plain is going to become fairly tedious away from settlements. As an aside - try finding somewhere there to practise hill-starts when you’re learning to drive!
 

ecmlthrash15

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2022
Messages
45
Location
United kingdom
I never tire of travelling across the Fens by train.


Especially Holme Fen for this reason.

Whittlesea-March has the Beggars Bridge over the Twenty Foot River and Three Horse Shoes with its multitude of level crossings.

And there is always the current agricultural activity to study.

For me the most dull in Britain has to be the North Wales Coast between Flint and Colwyn Bay. It is a special achievement to be by the sea and still be very dull.



I've not travelled by rail much outside the UK, but the Altmark between Wolfsburg and Berlin was very dull.

Back in the 80s, Lincoln central to Cambridge during the winter months is especially dismal country.
 

ecmlthrash15

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2022
Messages
45
Location
United kingdom
At least Doncaster - Peterborough is usually done pretty quickly. In February 2017, Storm Doris resulted in a 50mph speed limit being imposed south of Doncaster, making the journey to Peterborough incredibly tedious, plus the added concern of what connection to Cambridge we might eventually catch.

I've not done many longer distance journeys abroad, but I recall finding Berlin - Hamburg pretty featureless outside the suburbs of the two cities.
 

ecmlthrash15

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2022
Messages
45
Location
United kingdom
Doncaster to Peterborough is a bit dreary. It’s not as if you get to see anything of Retford or Newark. The attractive looking church at Grantham, sandwiched between the 2 tunnels, is probably the most interesting part.
 

And

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2021
Messages
9
Location
NZ
The Somerset and Dorset line near the town of Blandford Forum used to live up to its name. The town even got mentioned in the most boring song ever ("Slow Train" by Flanders and Swann).
 

Leogilbert007

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2024
Messages
162
Location
Born under the Brixton sun
Oh but the glimpse of the transmitter is lovely. (Used to live in Crystal Palace and can't actually remember if you could see it from that part of the journey!)

I always loved the entrance to Crystal Palace Station though, even before TfL transformed the station.
Definitely. Beautiful area and probably my favourite station in the UK
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
The Somerset and Dorset line near the town of Blandford Forum used to live up to its name. The town even got mentioned in the most boring song ever ("Slow Train" by Flanders and Swann).

I find that song extremely interesting and enjoyable.

Far more so than annoying rap music going on about bling and "ho's" etc, not to mention the grating modern pop music which seems to be mostly about "dissing" your boyfriend/girlfriend etc.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,043
Location
Up the creek
Any journey across swathes of the north German plain is going to become fairly tedious away from settlements. As an aside - try finding somewhere there to practise hill-starts when you’re learning to drive!

Quite true: the first view of the plain as you came around the curve as Ostercappeln was wonderful, but then it all went downhill.

The Somerset and Dorset line near the town of Blandford Forum used to live up to its name. The town even got mentioned in the most boring song ever ("Slow Train" by Flanders and Swann).

I most definitely disagree with the comment about ‘Slow Train’. To me it is a witty piece of observation, as were many of Flanders and Swann’s works. I don’t remember the railway at Blandford, but I think that calling it boring is overdoing it.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,372
Location
Yorkshire
Doncaster to Peterborough is a bit dreary. It’s not as if you get to see anything of Retford or Newark. The attractive looking church at Grantham, sandwiched between the 2 tunnels, is probably the most interesting part.
The flat crossing at Newark aside, I'd mostly agree with this. Then again the Southern WCML isn't exactly scenic either.

Any high-speed line with "acoustic barriers" is automatically pretty dull (and technically not a tunnel) so I don't imagine that HS2 will be all that exciting once the novelty wears off... and it'll dump you in either London or Birmingham!

After the beauty of the mountain section, the R3 route into Barcelona after you've passed Vic is quite underwhelming.
 

bleeder4

Member
Joined
19 Jan 2019
Messages
792
Location
Worcester
I don't think I've done one that I would consider boring. There's always something to see from a train window. Even if you're just going past housing estates, it's always fun looking at people's gardens, seeing what you can see through the windows of the houses, observing the different architectural styles etc. You get a snapshot of modern Britain from the train window.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,731
Location
West Riding
I don't think I've done one that I would consider boring. There's always something to see from a train window. Even if you're just going past housing estates, it's always fun looking at people's gardens, seeing what you can see through the windows of the houses, observing the different architectural styles etc. You get a snapshot of modern Britain from the train window.
Unless you’re in a cutting…
 

Rescars

Established Member
Joined
25 May 2021
Messages
2,582
Location
Surrey
Even next to a window, much travelling after dark really isn't that interesting!
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,749
Location
Nottingham
The bit of Eurostar between the edge of Calais and the edge of Paris. Seems to be endless miles following a motorway.
 

sh24

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2023
Messages
1,518
Location
London
I used to think Reading-Taunton was dull (late 80's nickname was The Desert) but once you get it know the route it is full of interest.

Some big chunks of the Trans-Siberian were dull. Endless birch trees. Some fantastic parts too!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top