• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most boring journeys between 2 Stations (Tunnels don’t count!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnsley

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2010
Messages
331
Location
Barnsley
As per the title, I’m currently on the 1433 Kings Cross to Newcastle, and I’ve always thought the most boring bits are between Huntingdon and Peterborough, and then to Grantham, any other journeys between 2 station that are that boring! Worldwide suggestions welcome aswell
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,292
Gorton -> Fairfield. Scruffy East Manchester at its finest. Much of it in a rubbish-strewn cutting. Saving grace is that's it's only a two minute journey. Flipside is that you're then off the train at Fairfield!
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,546
Location
LBK
Bond Street to Tottenham Court Road.
 

Barnsley

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2010
Messages
331
Location
Barnsley
Gorton -> Fairfield. Scruffy East Manchester at its finest. Much of it in a rubbish-strewn cutting. Saving grace is that's it's only a two minute journey. Flipside is that you're then off the train at Fairfield!
With the added dereliction of what once was a 4 track railway over the Pennines!
 

Jimini

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2006
Messages
2,173
Location
Reading
Leamington to Banbury has always bored me -- especially when comparing it to the rest of the route between Reading and Coventry, which has a little bit of everything!
 

Barnsley

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2010
Messages
331
Location
Barnsley
Leamington to Banbury has always bored me -- especially when comparing it to the rest of the route between Reading and Coventry, which has a little bit of everything!
Another one! This is what I’m after! I’m going to change the title, lines in tunnels don’t count!
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,402
Location
Yorks
Normanton to Leeds - only because I've done it almost every weekday for twenty odd years.

Other than that, can't really think of any that I find boring.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,367
Most of the stations between Salford Crescent and Kirkby via Atherton tbh!

To top it off, you're likely to be on one of the worst units still running too.
 

TheSmiths82

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2023
Messages
610
Location
Manchester
I find Manchester to London (vice versa) a bit boring. Probably because it has so few stops and the train goes so fast you can't really see much that is providing you've even got a window next to the seat. There isn't really much interesting scenery on the journey either but I am spoilt from often doing the Pennine crossings.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,451
Location
Somerset
Many European high-speed lines where you are confined between two noise baffle-walls.
 

Sir Felix Pole

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2012
Messages
2,197
Location
Wilmslow
I guess the Nullarbor Plain in Australia gets a bit tedious - not a regular passenger service now though, but a super expensive 'land cruise'.

Some of the cross-country lines in Sweden and Finland are rather monotonous - once you have seen one lake and one pine tree you have seen them all.
 

Dave W

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2019
Messages
893
Location
North London
Stourbridge Line. Rhythmical thumping of the rail and a couple of gardens and a field to look at.

Then, after all that, you're stuck in Stourbridge ;)
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,935
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Chester-Rock Ferry is pretty boring, especially in summer.
The line is mostly in a low cutting south of Hooton, and north of there is between continuous rows of tall lineside poplars obstructing the view.
You just get a quick view towards Wales crossing the River Gowy and SU canal north of Bache, and a glimpse of the Liverpool waterfront as you leave Rock Ferry before going underground.

The West Highland line also suffers from tall lineside forests limiting the view, on what could be a spectacular section between Helensburgh and Crianlarich.

But HS2 promises to be super-boring, with 36 miles of tunnels and lots of cuttings/greenways, not to mention the sound and visual deflectors on the few open sections. I think the first view northbound will be over the Colne Valley viaduct.
 

RT4038

Established Member
Joined
22 Feb 2014
Messages
5,459
Linz to Vienna. Done it lots of times, but not often enough to know every detail. Almost always in the dark and at the end of a very long day from the Midlands.
 

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,398
Stourbridge Line. Rhythmical thumping of the rail and a couple of gardens and a field to look at.

Then, after all that, you're stuck in Stourbridge ;)
Great set of pubs though
 

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,398
Chester-Rock Ferry is pretty boring, especially in summer.
The line is mostly in a low cutting south of Hooton, and north of there is between continuous rows of tall lineside poplars obstructing the view.
You just get a quick view towards Wales crossing the River Gowy and SU canal north of Bache, and a glimpse of the Liverpool waterfront as you leave Rock Ferry before going underground.
Also you get to see into Port Sunlight Village and I do like the dip into Green Lane station
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,624
Location
Isle of Man
HS1 is pretty dull apart from the brief excitement as you go over the Medway valley. HS2 is going to be even worse, just a concrete scar on the landscape for 100 miles straight.
 

Topological

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
4,324
Location
Swansea
I find Manchester to London (vice versa) a bit boring. Probably because it has so few stops and the train goes so fast you can't really see much that is providing you've even got a window next to the seat. There isn't really much interesting scenery on the journey either but I am spoilt from often doing the Pennine crossings.
That does seem a bit harsh.

The line north of Stoke has many nice views of the Peak District. There are various interactions with the canal as well. It is a journey I have done a lot and still am happy to do.

Further south you have Watford Gap and the chance to race the M1. I can see people might not like that, but it remains a highlight of my journeys on the WCML.

Trent Valley is a little plain, but there are some nice moments amongst it.

From Watford Gap into London then I always like crossing the embankment at Watford, there are a few rural bits around Hemel and Wembley.
 

Sealink

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2006
Messages
883
Location
Bridport
Gipsy Hill <> Crystal Palace, surely, being just tunnels and a cut & cover section

Oh but the glimpse of the transmitter is lovely. (Used to live in Crystal Palace and can't actually remember if you could see it from that part of the journey!)

I always loved the entrance to Crystal Palace Station though, even before TfL transformed the station.
 

TheSmiths82

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2023
Messages
610
Location
Manchester
That does seem a bit harsh.

The line north of Stoke has many nice views of the Peak District. There are various interactions with the canal as well. It is a journey I have done a lot and still am happy to do.

Further south you have Watford Gap and the chance to race the M1. I can see people might not like that, but it remains a highlight of my journeys on the WCML.

Trent Valley is a little plain, but there are some nice moments amongst it.

From Watford Gap into London then I always like crossing the embankment at Watford, there are a few rural bits around Hemel and Wembley.

It probably was, but in hindsight I never seem to get a window and I often seem to the journey in the dark! It probably one of my most frequent journeys too (twice a year on average). I will try and look out for some of the other things you mentioned next time :D I do enjoy spotting the first roundel on approach to North London though
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,723
Location
Croydon
North Kent lines particularly ground into me by my frequent leisure journeys in the 1970s and 1980s from Strood to Charing Cross via Woolwich.

The alternative Sole Street to Victoria was far more pleasant. Probably helped by not being in an EPB stopping everywhere.

As for HS2 - I do wonder if train windows are becoming pointless with so much of it being in tunnels or surrounded by high fences.
Perhaps instead have a periscope with cameras sending images to large screens placed NEXT to the seats :rolleyes:.
With adverts and/or films everytime it is too dark (including tunnels).
 

vic-rijrode

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2016
Messages
446
Leamington to Banbury has always bored me -- especially when comparing it to the rest of the route between Reading and Coventry, which has a little bit of everything!
Oh no, no. There's the excitement of trying to spot the 100 yards of embankment of the Oxford to Rugby railway just north of Fenny Compton on the up side.
 

Magdalia

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2022
Messages
7,406
Location
The Fens
As per the title, I’m currently on the 1433 Kings Cross to Newcastle, and I’ve always thought the most boring bits are between Huntingdon and Peterborough, and then to Grantham, any other journeys between 2 station that are that boring! Worldwide suggestions welcome aswell

Whittlesea to March
Spalding to Sleaford
I never tire of travelling across the Fens by train.

That bit at least has the novelty of passing the lowest land point in the UK.
Especially Holme Fen for this reason.

Whittlesea-March has the Beggars Bridge over the Twenty Foot River and Three Horse Shoes with its multitude of level crossings.

And there is always the current agricultural activity to study.

For me the most dull in Britain has to be the North Wales Coast between Flint and Colwyn Bay. It is a special achievement to be by the sea and still be very dull.

Worldwide suggestions welcome aswell

I've not travelled by rail much outside the UK, but the Altmark between Wolfsburg and Berlin was very dull.
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,333
Location
Herts
West Ruislip - White City on the Central Line extremely tedious - very boring suburbia ! (IMHO)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top