this is what I replied to them:
Dear Sir or Madam,
Re: Case Reference Number
I am writing regarding the incident on X date and would like to offer my sincere apology.
I sincerely apologise for using a Student Oyster card that was not issued to me. I fully understand that concessionary Oyster cards are issued for the use of the named holder only and that using it was wrong. I regret my actions and take full responsibility for this mistake.
When I was stopped by the inspector, I was extremely nervous and did not explain the situation clearly. I would like to correct this now and be fully honest. I acknowledge that I have used this card on previous occasions over a period of time, and I deeply regret both my actions and my lack of clarity at the time.
Although this does not excuse my behaviour, it has been a very difficult period personally. I have been supporting my father following treatment for metastatic cancer while also working full-time and self-funding my CIPD Master’s studies. During this time, I have also been the main person supporting my family financially and managing significant personal and financial pressures. Despite trying to manage these responsibilities, I made a poor decision in using this card and I fully accept that it was wrong. This experience has been a serious wake-up call for me and I deeply regret the poor judgement I showed.
As someone currently studying for a CIPD Master’s qualification and pursuing a career in Human Resources and employment law, I am very aware that a conviction could have a serious impact on my professional future. I have always maintained a clean record and have never previously been reported for any travel irregularity.
For context I have enclosed a copy of my father’s recent oncology review letter confirming his ongoing monitoring, together with confirmation of my Master’s enrolment.
I understand that your investigation may review the previous use of the card and I accept full responsibility. I am willing to repay the full value of any unpaid fares identified through your records together with any administrative costs. I will accept the amount calculated by TfL and would be prepared to settle this promptly in a single lump-sum payment.
Since the incident I have arranged my own valid travel payment method and have been paying the full adult fare for my journeys (a copy of my recent travel history is enclosed). I will ensure that I always travel using my own valid ticket in the future.
I respectfully ask whether this matter could be resolved without court proceedings. I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to make amends and move forward having learned a significant lesson from this mistake. I will cooperate fully with any further information you may require.
Thank you for taking the time to consider my response.
Yours faithfully,
Dear Sir or Madam,
Re: Case Reference Number
I am writing regarding the incident on X date and would like to offer my sincere apology.
I sincerely apologise for using a Student Oyster card that was not issued to me. I fully understand that concessionary Oyster cards are issued for the use of the named holder only and that using it was wrong. I regret my actions and take full responsibility for this mistake.
When I was stopped by the inspector, I was extremely nervous and did not explain the situation clearly. I would like to correct this now and be fully honest. I acknowledge that I have used this card on previous occasions over a period of time, and I deeply regret both my actions and my lack of clarity at the time.
Although this does not excuse my behaviour, it has been a very difficult period personally. I have been supporting my father following treatment for metastatic cancer while also working full-time and self-funding my CIPD Master’s studies. During this time, I have also been the main person supporting my family financially and managing significant personal and financial pressures. Despite trying to manage these responsibilities, I made a poor decision in using this card and I fully accept that it was wrong. This experience has been a serious wake-up call for me and I deeply regret the poor judgement I showed.
As someone currently studying for a CIPD Master’s qualification and pursuing a career in Human Resources and employment law, I am very aware that a conviction could have a serious impact on my professional future. I have always maintained a clean record and have never previously been reported for any travel irregularity.
For context I have enclosed a copy of my father’s recent oncology review letter confirming his ongoing monitoring, together with confirmation of my Master’s enrolment.
I understand that your investigation may review the previous use of the card and I accept full responsibility. I am willing to repay the full value of any unpaid fares identified through your records together with any administrative costs. I will accept the amount calculated by TfL and would be prepared to settle this promptly in a single lump-sum payment.
Since the incident I have arranged my own valid travel payment method and have been paying the full adult fare for my journeys (a copy of my recent travel history is enclosed). I will ensure that I always travel using my own valid ticket in the future.
I respectfully ask whether this matter could be resolved without court proceedings. I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to make amends and move forward having learned a significant lesson from this mistake. I will cooperate fully with any further information you may require.
Thank you for taking the time to consider my response.
Yours faithfully,