• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail legacy fleet updates (Class 507/508)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Honestly so sad 025 was doing so well when I was on her last week
Obviously it's easy to say from the outside, but because the limiting factor is miles between overhauls it does mean that the more reliable units will rack up the miles quicker. This was an issue with some of the ex-BR diesels in EWS days, the more reliable locos would end up running out of engine hours quicker, leaving only the "lemons" available.
 

childwallblues

Established Member
Joined
3 Jul 2014
Messages
3,890
Location
Liverpool, UK
507024 & 507025 have just passed Birkenhead North coupled together
Back in 2011/12 there were 59 x 507/508 units in service and I decided to ride in all 177 carriages on single journeys without moving up or down the train. The project proved challenging but was made easier by using Moorfields and Sandhills stations as they both have cross platform facilties. I completed the project by the end of 2013 except for one unit 507019 which took me until 2017 to get.
I rode 507024 on eight occasions and 507025 on nine. Both were first ridden in 1985. The Northern Line is about five miles from my house, and I live close to Broad Green Station so nearly all journeys to the line would be by car.
 

Wezz

Member
Joined
7 Aug 2019
Messages
174
Location
Liverpool, UK
Question ? At what point do they get parts ripped out if they are already off to sims ?
They aren't being taken to Sims until Sunday, so the Stadler guys will remove the useful parts so they have them available when other units need them, then the units will be dragged to Sims on Sunday.
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
Obviously it's easy to say from the outside, but because the limiting factor is miles between overhauls it does mean that the more reliable units will rack up the miles quicker. This was an issue with some of the ex-BR diesels in EWS days, the more reliable locos would end up running out of engine hours quicker, leaving only the "lemons" available.
Yes, indeed. There is definitely an element of this with Merseyrail units as well as units have moved up and down the overhaul cycle.

It would be interesting to know how many more 507s are planned to be overhauled if anyone is aware. It can't be many more, surely?
 

Razorblades

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2021
Messages
454
Location
Copshaw Holm, Scottish Borders
Back in 2011/12 there were 59 x 507/508 units in service and I decided to ride in all 177 carriages on single journeys without moving up or down the train. The project proved challenging but was made easier by using Moorfields and Sandhills stations as they both have cross platform facilties. I completed the project by the end of 2013 except for one unit 507019 which took me until 2017 to get.
I rode 507024 on eight occasions and 507025 on nine. Both were first ridden in 1985. The Northern Line is about five miles from my house, and I live close to Broad Green Station so nearly all journeys to the line would be by car.

Wow. Incredible, and oddly reassuring. Fair play for sharing.
 

LRV3004

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2015
Messages
626
Back in 2011/12 there were 59 x 507/508 units in service and I decided to ride in all 177 carriages on single journeys without moving up or down the train. The project proved challenging but was made easier by using Moorfields and Sandhills stations as they both have cross platform facilties. I completed the project by the end of 2013 except for one unit 507019 which took me until 2017 to get.
I rode 507024 on eight occasions and 507025 on nine. Both were first ridden in 1985. The Northern Line is about five miles from my house, and I live close to Broad Green Station so nearly all journeys to the line would be by car.
That's some going that - and also dedication! First time I've heard of anyone trying to ride every single carriage in each unit, well done!!!
 

LRV3004

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2015
Messages
626
Well I did it without the benefit of RTT.
Which makes it all the more impressive!!! I’d love to see the unit allocations for Merseyrail on RTT, but that in turn then takes some of the fun out of looking for those particular units you’re after!!!
 

142 007

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2017
Messages
32
Unusually the 507/508s have had two failures the last few days causing a lot of disruption,
On Wednesday afternoon a 507 failed at Eastham Rake
While on Thursday evening there was a failure at Formby.
 

3973EXL

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2017
Messages
2,741
 

DJH1971

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2012
Messages
1,751
Location
St Helens, Merseyside
Has the loco been confirmed for the journey yet?
 

L401CJF

Established Member
Joined
16 Oct 2019
Messages
1,486
Location
Wirral
Nowed 507007 today on Chesters, freshly overhauled with shiney cab ends and shiny bogies/shoe gear etc
 

samrammstein

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2011
Messages
108
Location
Capenhurst
507024 and 025 departing Merseyside for the final time last night.


Looks like the blue interlock lights above the doors were still working.
 

Merseyrailfan

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2023
Messages
184
Location
Ormskirk
It seems 507s/508s are now being withdrawn faster, I say give it 12-15 months before the whole fleet is gone. I suppose the plans for keeping 14 507s in short term has been scrapped due to delays of getting 777s into service, although it depends if the platforms on Southport line are widened to accommodate 8 car 777s. 507s/508s are now over 40 years old, and sadly It’s a necessary evil that they have to go. Let’s hope one full seat ideally or at least one or two coaches of unit(maybe 507001 or 507002) get preserved. Mind you Merseyrail are going relatively slow speed withdrawing 507s and 508s unlike Great Northern which quite rapidly got rid of 313s? Don’t expect anymore stay of executions now.
 

Sam 76

Member
Joined
10 Nov 2021
Messages
499
Location
Southport.
It seems 507s/508s are now being withdrawn faster, I say give it 12-15 months before the whole fleet is gone. I suppose the plans for keeping 14 507s in short term has been scrapped due to delays of getting 777s into service, although it depends if the platforms on Southport line are widened to accommodate 8 car 777s. 507s/508s are now over 40 years old, and sadly It’s a necessary evil that they have to go. Let’s hope one full seat ideally or at least one or two coaches of unit(maybe 507001 or 507002) get preserved. Mind you Merseyrail are going relatively slow speed withdrawing 507s and 508s unlike Great Northern which quite rapidly got rid of 313s? Don’t expect anymore stay of executions now.
I think eventually there will be a 1 in 1 out system. Given any new units needs to fault free testing it may well be slower than currently appears :)
 

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
6,083
It seems 507s/508s are now being withdrawn faster, I say give it 12-15 months before the whole fleet is gone. I suppose the plans for keeping 14 507s in short term has been scrapped due to delays of getting 777s into service, although it depends if the platforms on Southport line are widened to accommodate 8 car 777s. 507s/508s are now over 40 years old, and sadly It’s a necessary evil that they have to go. Let’s hope one full seat ideally or at least one or two coaches of unit(maybe 507001 or 507002) get preserved. Mind you Merseyrail are going relatively slow speed withdrawing 507s and 508s unlike Great Northern which quite rapidly got rid of 313s? Don’t expect anymore stay of executions now.

Best to keep a few too many for now given faults on the new trains.
 

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
The unavoidable fact is the older these trains get parts gets worn out with no new replacement off the shelf part, gradually breakdown will increase.

I'm amazed that the class 483 on the Isle of Wight still kept going as long as it did, there were frequent cancellations toward the end before it got replaced by Class 484 as the kept breaking down as it's more suitable for sympathetic museum service than intensive public service runs, something the 507/8 is at risk of doing at 50 or 60 years of age.
 

MR-507508

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2020
Messages
1,023
Location
North West
Quite a rare sight today on the Wirral line, all diagrams operated by 6 cars.
Could this be the last time this happens for the 507/508 fleet - possibly next Saturday, although with the 20min frequency across the network not all diagrams maybe 6 cars.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top