• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Megatrain Salisbury to Waterloo - £1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hantsman1205

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2011
Messages
116
Intend to try & use this fare (if I get the fares) to go to the Army v Navy @ Twickenham, Saturday 28th April 2012. We will go on Friday 27th April 2012

Can we actually get off at Clapham (the station before Waterloo I believe from looking at NRE) and having paid (ie a ticket already) go from Clapham to Feltham? We won't break the journey or be going out of the Station @ Waterloo


We will be paying on Saturday am to get to Twickenham (group save) 2 stops I believe, Whitton?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
Can we actually get off at Clapham (the station before Waterloo I believe from looking at NRE)
Are you asking if you are allowed to, or if you physically can?
and having paid (ie a ticket already) go from Clapham to Feltham? We won't break the journey or be going out of the Station @ Waterloo
There is an argument to say that this is permitted as per NRCoC Condition 19, as discussed in previous topics. Though this was not agreed among all who took part in the discussion.

We will be paying on Saturday am to get to Twickenham (group save) 2 stops I believe, Whitton?
It sounds like this is a seperate journey. Are you asking how many stations there are between Feltham and Twickenham? The answer is indeed 2 stops, with Whitton the intermediate station.
 

hantsman1205

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2011
Messages
116
Are you asking if you are allowed to, or if you physically can?

There is an argument to say that this is permitted as per NRCoC Condition 19, as discussed in previous topics. Though this was not agreed among all who took part in the discussion.


It sounds like this is a seperate journey. Are you asking how many stations there are between Feltham and Twickenham? The answer is indeed 2 stops, with Whitton the intermediate station.

Im not trying a hey diddle fiddle, just no point going to Waterloo, then getting a ticket from Waterloo to Feltham, I take it this is not travelling short I think? Im not worried its £5.50. I take there is no sleeper Yorkie? :D
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
A Megatrain "ticket" does not allow break of Journey, so technically, no you cannot get off at Clapham, although it's highly unlikely somebody would stop you unless you tried to exit the station, if you just go to another platform (5/6 for Twickenham) then you'd probably get away with it.

If you followed the Megatrain rules to the letter, you'd have to go into Waterloo and back to Twickenham from there.

This begs the question, did you already book and pick up your CLJ->TWI tickets? As you wouldn't be able to exit CLJ station to access the TVM's to either purchase or pick up tickets from there, then you'd most likely get stopped at the barriers and would be liable to a PF for trying BOJ on a Megatrain reference!
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
Im not trying a hey diddle fiddle, just no point going to Waterloo, then getting a ticket from Waterloo to Feltham, I take it this is not travelling short I think? Im not worried its £5.50.
It is my interpretation that a combination of Salisbury - London and Clapham Jn - Feltham tickets for a journey between Salisbury & Feltham is not "broken" anywhere unless you exit station premises as defined in the NRCoC. Break of journey includes starting/finishing short. Not everyone will agree with my interpretation.
I take there is no sleeper Yorkie? :D
The only sleepers in the UK operate on the Penzance - Paddington and Scotland - Euston routes.
 

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,048
Location
Yorkshire
Im not trying a hey diddle fiddle, just no point going to Waterloo, then getting a ticket from Waterloo to Feltham, I take it this is not travelling short I think? Im not worried its £5.50. I take there is no sleeper Yorkie? :D

I could see this both ways. I think as long as you've got your Feltham tickets with you already, and don't alight from the same door as the SWT conductor, there won't be an issue.

I guess this is one example where its not possible to use oyster :p
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
It is my interpretation that a combination of Salisbury - London and Clapham Jn - Feltham tickets for a journey between Salisbury & Feltham is not "broken" anywhere unless you exit station premises as defined in the NRCoC. Break of journey includes starting/finishing short. Not everyone will agree with my interpretation.
I agree with your definition of BOJ, however I don't agree that the ticket combinations would be valid. As a Megatrain reference clearly is only valid point to point, Salisbury to London Waterloo, no BOJ allowed. Therefore having a CLJ to TWI ticket, doesn't go hand in hand with the Megatrain reference as it leave the WAT->CLJ bit unpaid, which you'd have to hold if you followed the terms of Megatrain, for the entire Journey to be valid.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
A Megatrain "ticket" does not allow break of Journey
That is true. NRCoC states what should happen in these circumstances, I trust you are familiar with that so I won't quote from it ;) but a forum member did post a few days ago that the issue of using Megatrain to Clapham Jn was raised on The One Show. Does anyone have some detailed information about that?
so technically, no you cannot get off at Clapham
Are you sure that's defined as a break of journey?
although it's highly unlikely somebody would stop you unless you tried to exit the station
Agreed
if you just go to another platform (5/6 for Twickenham) then you'd probably get away with it.
I think, based on the OPs subsequent answer, he knows it is possible, but is wanting to know whether it is allowed. (the problem with asking if you can do something, is that it isn't clear what is being asked. However I'd certainly advise against asking if you will "get away with" something on a public forum, so the question should always be whether it is allowed, but the answer may be open to interpretation).
If you followed the Megatrain rules to the letter, you'd have to go into Waterloo and back to Twickenham from there.
That is one interpretation, though it does ignore Condition 19, and defy common sense (though I accept that railway rules often do defy common sense!)
This begs the question, did you already book and pick up your CLJ->TWI tickets? As you wouldn't be able to exit CLJ station to access the TVM's to either purchase or pick up tickets from there,
Agreed, but if using Oyster PAYG there are readers to touch in that do not involve exiting the station.

Also, the station doesn't have to be exited to use TVMs, as TVMs are inside the station (though not the paid side) though this is a moot point.
then you'd most likely get stopped at the barriers and would be liable to a PF for trying BOJ on a Megatrain reference!
If he got a PF, then I'd be surprised, given that PF legislation doesn't allow for a PF to be issued for finishing short, and that the NRCoC states what should happen if a journey is broken (excess to the appropriate fare) and SWT tried that at Eastleigh (it's hardly unheard of for SWT to not familiarise their staff with the rules!), the PF was appealed, and was successful.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I agree with your definition of BOJ, however I don't agree that the ticket combinations would be valid. As a Megatrain reference clearly is only valid point to point, Salisbury to London Waterloo, no BOJ allowed.
I agree no BOJ is allowed, but the OP does not propose a BOJ.
Therefore having a CLJ to TWI ticket, doesn't go hand in hand with the Megatrain reference as it leave the WAT->CLJ bit unpaid, which you'd have to hold if you followed the terms of Megatrain, for the entire Journey to be valid.
We had this debate before in the Norwich example, and it is true that there are some people who believe that, a valid combination would be Salisbury-London plus London-Feltham, and providing that was all paid for the customer is not compelled to double back between Clapham & London. I agree with this interpretation that this is valid. I am not sure I agree that paying for the additional London-Clapham journey that is not actually undertaken is necessary, but I will agree it is a debatable point and the payment of this extra fare would put the OP in a stronger position in the views of some people, therefore the OP may wish to consider this.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I could see this both ways. I think as long as you've got your Feltham tickets with you already, and don't alight from the same door as the SWT conductor, there won't be an issue.
We know there won't be an issue, but I think the OP is asking if it is valid.
I guess this is one example where its not possible to use oyster :p
Why not? There are Oyster readers that can be accessed at [stn]CLJ[/stn] without passing through barriers (possibly on the footbridge? or on Platform 17?)
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
I'm in agreement with most of what you have said Yorkie, logic should prevail, although it's always best to be safe.

I would define the OP's suggestion to get off his booked megatrain service as BOJ, as he would leave his booked service, which, according to Megatrain conditions, breaks the terms of Megatrain. I would definitely say that BOJ has occured in this situation as the OP would be unable to resume his Journey on his booked service to Waterloo as it would have left (all theoretical of course!)

Also, with the mention of PF's, ok that's my bad, you are right that a PF would not be issuable in those circumstances, however a large excess could be charged, a £1 Megatrain ticket, excessed to possibly a Super-Off-Peak single from Salisbury to Clapham Junction, which can still be quite a sting, although of course this is unlikely to happen to the OP.

As for Oyster readers, they are installed on Platforms 2, 15, 16 and 17. Although last I heard was that those on 15 & 16 are not working! I personally don't see the point of these readers, as people should be forced to use the Gatelines to commence/end their Oyster journey, I believe having readers inside the Paid area encourages fare evasion (just a belief, not fact of course!)
 

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,048
Location
Yorkshire
Why not? There are Oyster readers that can be accessed at [stn]CLJ[/stn] without passing through barriers (possibly on the footbridge? or on Platform 17?)

Is it not a compulsory ticket area? That journey from p7 to the footbridge.....

Also could someone confirm that _yellow_ readers are on the footbridge still?

I seem to recall that at moorgate there was a plan to remove the 'inside' readers around the time that oyster payg was extended, not sure whether it ever happened though.
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
Is it not a compulsory ticket area? That journey from p7 to the footbridge.....

Also could someone confirm that _yellow_ readers are on the footbridge still?

I seem to recall that at moorgate there was a plan to remove the 'inside' readers around the time that oyster payg was extended, not sure whether it ever happened though.

Please see my post above for information about (Yellow) Oyster card readers at CLJ
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
would definitely say that BOJ has occured in this situation as the OP would be unable to resume his Journey on his booked service to Waterloo as it would have left (all theoretical of course!)
I do not agree with this, because the first place he "leaves a Train Company’s or Rail Service Company’s stations" is Feltham, and if he does that at Feltham, then I fail to see how he can be treated as breaking his journey when not entitled to do so. Until he leaves the station he cannot be "treated as breaking (his) journey" by definition.

I believe having readers inside the Paid area encourages fare evasion (just a belief, not fact of course!)
What evidence is there to suggest that? (This may be best posted in a new topic especially if you have some detailed evidence to present!)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have asked extendedpaul if he can find more information about Megatrain's slating on The One Show.

This was posted in the thread about FCC's free tickets:

extendedpaul said:
Megatrain was slated on The One Show ... they backed down over someone alighting at Clapham Junction instead of Waterloo. ...
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
Megatrain may well have been slated by the OneShow, however that still doesn't change the fact that Megatrain is a very cheap but completely inflexible ticket. Anyone wanting more flexibility such as BOJ or not being booked on one service, will need to pay for the appropriate ticket, for these purposes, a Megatrain ticket is not suitable.

I think that the terms of Megatrain are made very clear, before you pay, you have to click to agree to the terms, which are displayed. Therefore there is no leeway for alighting short of the destination.

It is fair to say that many people buying these £1 tickets, seem to want to have their cake and eat it, in terms of wanting BOJ, wanting to finish at intermediate stations, wanting to get on another train that isn't their booked service! It is a cheap ticket, if the passenger wishes to have more flexiblity then they should pay more for it (yes I know I'm repeating myself) :p
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
a forum member did post a few days ago that the issue of using Megatrain to Clapham Jn was raised on The One Show. Does anyone have some detailed information about that?
Details here. Not available on iplayer due to the offensive behaviour of Jeremy Clarkson on that programme.
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
Details here. Not available on iplayer due to the offensive behaviour of Jeremy Clarkson on that programme.

Thank you, makes interesting (albeit short) reading!

It mentions that the couple who went to Eastleigh using Megatrain, got "fined" double the single fare, this seems to suggest that PF is permissable, as the appeal was later declined for the PF (in the case of the person alighting at CLJ at least)

My opinion is that SWT took the correct actions, and that TV programmes have no idea what they are talking about, if they knew the specifics of Ticketing then they would be better placed to comment!
 

hantsman1205

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2011
Messages
116
A Megatrain "ticket" does not allow break of Journey, so technically, no you cannot get off at Clapham, although it's highly unlikely somebody would stop you unless you tried to exit the station, if you just go to another platform (5/6 for Twickenham) then you'd probably get away with it.

If you followed the Megatrain rules to the letter, you'd have to go into Waterloo and back to Twickenham from there.

This begs the question, did you already book and pick up your CLJ->TWI tickets? As you wouldn't be able to exit CLJ station to access the TVM's to either purchase or pick up tickets from there, then you'd most likely get stopped at the barriers and would be liable to a PF for trying BOJ on a Megatrain reference!

Not booked anything yet, Megatrain is only 45 days in advance, yes we will have our train tickets from Clapham to Feltham on us, if we get the megatrain tickets cheaply. We don't need to exit Station.

We may only be doing this on the Friday. On Saturday we but tickets from Feltham to Twickenham for the match.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A Megatrain "ticket" does not allow break of Journey, so technically, no you cannot get off at Clapham, although it's highly unlikely somebody would stop you unless you tried to exit the station, if you just go to another platform (5/6 for Twickenham) then you'd probably get away with it.

If you followed the Megatrain rules to the letter, you'd have to go into Waterloo and back to Twickenham from there.

This begs the question, did you already book and pick up your CLJ->TWI tickets? As you wouldn't be able to exit CLJ station to access the TVM's to either purchase or pick up tickets from there, then you'd most likely get stopped at the barriers and would be liable to a PF for trying BOJ on a Megatrain reference!

I thought I had def put what Im doing, Im not trying to get to Twickenham on the Friday, Its SAL to WAT, jumping of at Clapham, and then Clapham to Feltham (with a pre bought ticket sent by post)
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
I thought I had def put what Im doing, Im not trying to get to Twickenham on the Friday, Its SAL to WAT, jumping of at Clapham, and then Clapham to Feltham (with a pre bought ticket sent by post)

Yes, you're right, you did put the dates in your OP, which I somehow missed, apologies! The information still stands though, it's the same platform for Feltham.
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
It mentions that the couple who went to Eastleigh using Megatrain, got "fined" double the single fare, this seems to suggest that PF is permissible, as the appeal was later declined for the PF (in the case of the person alighting at CLJ at least)
The cases are different.

A person making one journey Salisbury - Feltham using a combination of
  • a Salisbury - London ticket, and
  • a Clapham Jn - Feltham ticket
does not break their journey if they don't leave any station until they complete their journey at Feltham.

National Rail Conditions of Carriage said:
19. Using a combination of tickets

You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire journey and one of the following applies:
(a) they are both Zonal Tickets (unless special conditions prohibit their use);
(b) the train you are in calls at a station where you change from one ticket to another; or
(c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include Season Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport executive or local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/misc/NRCOC.pdf

I would define the OP's suggestion to get off his booked megatrain service as BOJ
That is incorrect.

National Rail Conditions of Carriage said:
16. Starting, breaking or ending a journey at intermediate stations

For the purposes of this Condition and Condition 11, you will be treated as breaking your journey if you leave a Train Company’s or Rail Service Company’s stations after you start your journey other than:
(i) to join a train at another station, or
(ii) to stay in overnight accommodation when you cannot reasonably complete your journey within one day, or
(iii) to follow any instructions given by a member of a Train Company’s staff.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/misc/NRCOC.pdf
Leaving a station is a necessary, but not always a sufficient, condition of breaking a journey.

The Megatrain conditions state "10. Bookings for megatrain services are in accordance with the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. Some of these conditions are clarified or specifically amended below."

None of the eleven amendments alter the definition of a journey, or of a break of journey. Therefore the references to journey in Megatrain Conditions 10 (a)-(k) are in this instance references to a Salisbury - Feltham journey.

I therefore agree with yorkie, but accept that others have different views.

In an earlier thread on Megatrain on this forum, it was pointed out that an older version of the Megatrain Conditions did indeed define break of journey differently from the NRCoC. This is no longer the case.
 

hantsman1205

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2011
Messages
116
It is my interpretation that a combination of Salisbury - London and Clapham Jn - Feltham tickets for a journey between Salisbury & Feltham is not "broken" anywhere unless you exit station premises as defined in the NRCoC. Break of journey includes starting/finishing short. Not everyone will agree with my interpretation.

The only sleepers in the UK operate on the Penzance - Paddington and Scotland - Euston routes.

I think you no the sleeper bit was a joke Yorkie? ;) And I never intended to get a double bunk on Scotrail sleeper :oops:
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
Fair enough John, I see the point you are trying to put accross, OK there may be no BOJ in the circumstances in which the OP partakes.

However, getting off the booked megatrain service, invalidates this part of NRCOC:
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire journey
As the Megatrain ticket is no longer valid, if the passenger decides to get off their booked Megatrain service at a stop which is not their final destination, therefore I am inclined to think that the ticket combination isn't technically valid. Although it would be very surprising if the OP was actually caught for this.
 

hantsman1205

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2011
Messages
116
Have to say guys terrific feedback, I didnt no about the 1 show coverage. I was only asking re this journey if it was within the rules, no attempt to defraud.

The single adult fare from WAT to Feltham was around £5.50 and Clapham to Feltham around £3.40 (no rail cards)

I take it that Clapham to Wat is only 1 stop? No way I was worried re £2 odd esp If I only paid £1 odd for SAL to WAT but as we may get up there late on Friday after work I saw no point going further than we had to. :D
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
getting off the booked megatrain service, invalidates this part of NRCOC:
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire journey
I don't agree. Together they do indeed cover the entire Salisbury - Clapham Jn - Feltham journey. The fact that they cover an extra bit as well does not negate that fact.

I take it that Clapham to Wat is only 1 stop?
No. The stations are:
Clapham Jn - Queenstown Road - Vauxhall - London Waterloo
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
Megatrain may well have been slated by the OneShow, however that still doesn't change the fact that Megatrain is a very cheap but completely inflexible ticket.
Neither fact has any relevance to this journey IMO.
Anyone wanting more flexibility such as BOJ or not being booked on one service, will need to pay for the appropriate ticket, for these purposes, a Megatrain ticket is not suitable.
The OP has not asked to do either of these things, so I see these issues as beyond the scope of this topic.
I think that the terms of Megatrain are made very clear, before you pay, you have to click to agree to the terms, which are displayed. Therefore there is no leeway for alighting short of the destination.
I have read the terms, but cannot see the term "there is no leeway for alighting short of the destination", can you tell me where it says that? I understand BOJ is not permitted, but I've already explained above that the OP will not be doing any action that is necessary for a BOJ to have taken place until Feltham. Is there a term I have missed?
It is fair to say that many people buying these £1 tickets, seem to want to have their cake and eat it, in terms of wanting BOJ
The OP doesn't want a BOJ, as defined by the rail industry.
wanting to finish at intermediate stations, wanting to get on another train that isn't their booked service! It is a cheap ticket, if the passenger wishes to have more flexiblity then they should pay more for it (yes I know I'm repeating myself) :p
You can word it how you like but the basic fact of saying that someone should be forced to double-back between Clapham Jn and Waterloo is absurd. Wording it differently to dress up this absurdity to suit the argument can be done, but doesn't change the basic fact that most people would consider it unreasonable to insist that someone doubles back. Of course some people disagree, but they're in the minority and subject to ridicule by programs like The One Show. At the end of the day what matters is that Megatrain have already backed down and allowed someone to finish their journey at Clapham Jn according to reports, the OP isn't even finishing his journey at Clapham Jn anyway, but if he was, the precedent is there. That precedent may upset some people at SWT, but so be it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It mentions that the couple who went to Eastleigh using Megatrain, got "fined" double the single fare, this seems to suggest that PF is permissable, as the appeal was later declined for the PF (in the case of the person alighting at CLJ at least)
As I explained earlier, a PF is not the correct action and it is an abuse of PF legislation to issue a PF. Also as I explained earlier, the appeal was successful in the Eastleigh case. Not sure what exactly happened at CLJ but it certainly sounds like SWT had to admit defeat.

My opinion is that SWT took the correct actions
They did not, and SWT staff acting incorrectly does happen from time to time. Some members of this forum have been told by SWT staff that the Routeing Guide does not exist. Training on ticketing is inadequate and enforcement of staff adhering to rules is not adequate, in my opinion.

and that TV programmes have no idea what they are talking about, if they knew the specifics of Ticketing then they would be better placed to comment!
If TOCs want negative publicity, then they can carry on acting inappropriately, like SWT did in the case of Eastleigh and Clapham Jn. If they do not want negative publicity, then they need to apply the rules correctly and/or apply common sense, as appropriate. (sometimes the two are one and the same, sometimes they are not, but if they think carefully they can make the right decision and avoid bad press)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
However, getting off the booked megatrain service, invalidates this part of NRCOC:

As the Megatrain ticket is no longer valid, if the passenger decides to get off their booked Megatrain service at a stop which is not their final destination, therefore I am inclined to think that the ticket combination isn't technically valid. Although it would be very surprising if the OP was actually caught for this.
Well, I disagree, but as I said earlier, if the OP pays for:
- Salisbury to Waterloo; and
- Waterloo to Feltham
tickets, then there is absolutely no argument that the OP has paid the "correct fare" and the only issue then is whether the OP is forced to double-back or not. Given that the TOCs generally prefer customers to not double-back, and given that the OP has paid the same fare as if he did double back, then I would say that this combination is even more watertight than the, admittedly debatable question of the second ticket starting at Clapham Jn.

If the OP was really worried, he could show both the Megatrain ticket to London and the London to Feltham ticket, and ask the guard for advice on changing trains to get to Feltham. If the OP does this, and the guard doesn't suggest changing at Clapham Jn, then I will be shocked.
 

LondonJohn

Member
Joined
17 Jul 2011
Messages
285
Location
London
My take on this situation is that you are not allowed to alight at Clapham Junction due to the following megatrain condition.

e. You must travel between the stations, on the date and at the time(s) in your booking confirmation. If you start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station you will need to buy a new rail ticket. This rail ticket will be the price of the most appropriate undiscounted Single rail fare for the journey being made. No refund will be given on the megatrain ticket or additional ticket purchased.

Although as others have mentioned it is unlikely that you will be challenged if the op did take the proposed course of action unlesss of course SWT are alerted to this action by way of this thread and either withdraw the megatrain fares for the day in question or monitor the op via cctv footgage as use that as evidence for prosecution.

As an aside, I would never join any train at Clapham Junction as I would want a seat for the journey hence always joining a train at Waterloo prior to joining,
 

moonrakerz

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2009
Messages
870
Intend to try & use this fare (if I get the fares)
(My highlighting !)



I note the OP's very optimistic opening statement.

I hope he has better luck with Megatrain tickets SAL - WAT than I have had up to now. They seem to be like the Loch Ness monster - lots of apocryphal reports that they do exist, but no actual proof of that !

Numerous attempts on my part have succeeded in getting exactly ZERO tickets............luckily, I can get good value AP tickets from Warminster.
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
LondonJohn:887541 said:
My take on this situation is that you are not allowed to alight at Clapham Junction due to the following megatrain condition.

e.You must travel between the stations, on the date and at the time(s) in your booking confirmation. If you start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station you will need to buy a new rail ticket. This rail ticket will be the price of the most appropriate undiscounted Single rail fare for the journey being made. No refund will be given on the megatrain ticket or additional ticket purchased.

I think this bit is quite clear, though the subsequent use of 'journey' does then muddy the waters a bit.

If I was doing this I'd probably purchase a ticket from waterloo to clapham junction, or waterloo to feltham if you havent yet purchased the ticket from clapham junction. Yes you're probably still not using the tickets properly but it is much more in the spirit of the rules.
 

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,048
Location
Yorkshire
Please see my post above for information about (Yellow) Oyster card readers at CLJ

You didn't specify yellow or pink nor how current the information is. But thank you.

Can anyone confirm whether there are still signs etc advertising "compulsory ticket area" - I haven't been down that way for several months so don't want to present something as fact that may now have changed.

Going back to BOJ.... We all know that alighting at a station to change trains doesn't constitute a break of journey...but this is a ticket that doesn't need to change trains....
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
Neither fact has any relevance to this journey IMO.

Yes it is perfectly relevant, I have therein presented the reasoning as to what ticket type we are talking about, and how the price reflects its lack of flexiblity, this does relate to the OP.
The OP has not asked to do either of these things, so I see these issues as beyond the scope of this topic.
Disagree, the OP wished to alight at CLJ, therefore invalidating their Megatrain ticket, fact.
I have read the terms, but cannot see the term "there is no leeway for alighting short of the destination", can you tell me where it says that? I understand BOJ is not permitted, but I've already explained above that the OP will not be doing any action that is necessary for a BOJ to have taken place until Feltham. Is there a term I have missed?
Nowhere did I state that I mentioned the literal terms used in the Megatrain T&C's, you seem to be confusing yourself there. I understand the principles of BOJ and how it applies to this situation.
The OP doesn't want a BOJ, as defined by the rail industry.
Great, something we can both agree on :D
You can word it how you like but the basic fact of saying that someone should be forced to double-back between Clapham Jn and Waterloo is absurd. Wording it differently to dress up this absurdity to suit the argument can be done, but doesn't change the basic fact that most people would consider it unreasonable to insist that someone doubles back. Of course some people disagree, but they're in the minority and subject to ridicule by programs like The One Show. At the end of the day what matters is that Megatrain have already backed down and allowed someone to finish their journey at Clapham Jn according to reports, the OP isn't even finishing his journey at Clapham Jn anyway, but if he was, the precedent is there. That precedent may upset some people at SWT, but so be it.

No, it is not absurd, it is following the terms of the ticket. Common sense doesn't apply here as you do have to pay more for convenience. The doubling back IS required because of the two different tickets held, if the passenger decides to break the Megatrain terms then that portion of the journey is invalidated and they are liable to pay the whole single fare again.

How I read the article was that the person alighting at CLJ were not allowed exit there, until they had already been "fined", and that fine's appeal was rejected, so I can't see how Megatrain or SWT backed down. Therefore if there's any precedent, it will be the precendent of being "fined" for breaking Megatrain terms.

As I explained earlier, a PF is not the correct action and it is an abuse of PF legislation to issue a PF. Also as I explained earlier, the appeal was successful in the Eastleigh case. Not sure what exactly happened at CLJ but it certainly sounds like SWT had to admit defeat.
Sure, but that doesn't conclude that breaking the Megatrain terms to suit the passenger is permitted, even without PF in the equasion, the full single fare is still payable in such a situation.

They did not, and SWT staff acting incorrectly does happen from time to time. Some members of this forum have been told by SWT staff that the Routeing Guide does not exist. Training on ticketing is inadequate and enforcement of staff adhering to rules is not adequate, in my opinion.
All TOC's have staff acting incorrectly from time to time, not just SWT. Whichever rumours about staff on this forum are heard, they hold no weight as actual evidence.
I agree with the second part, however this sways from the topic, you told me some of my post was not relevant to the OP, can I therefore suggest that this bit isn't either?

If TOCs want negative publicity, then they can carry on acting inappropriately, like SWT did in the case of Eastleigh and Clapham Jn. If they do not want negative publicity, then they need to apply the rules correctly and/or apply common sense, as appropriate. (sometimes the two are one and the same, sometimes they are not, but if they think carefully they can make the right decision and avoid bad press)

How is it acting inappropriately, to make the passenger pay more for breaking the terms of their ticket? Maybe the PF was inappropriate, but surely you agree that an excess would have been appropriate to the situation.

Common sense cannot be applied, I said this earlier. The Megatrain ticket is totally inflexible, the terms must be followed to make it valid on the journey. Alighting early has rightly been penalised on Megatrain tickets, otherwise there might be an increase in passengers using Megatrain tickets incorrectly, abusing their terms and whitholding revenue from TOC's when they should have purchased more flexible tickets for their itinary.
Well, I disagree, but as I said earlier, if the OP pays for:
- Salisbury to Waterloo; and
- Waterloo to Feltham
tickets, then there is absolutely no argument that the OP has paid the "correct fare" and the only issue then is whether the OP is forced to double-back or not. Given that the TOCs generally prefer customers to not double-back, and given that the OP has paid the same fare as if he did double back, then I would say that this combination is even more watertight than the, admittedly debatable question of the second ticket starting at Clapham Jn.
I completely agree with all that you have said in this part, this seems like the reasonable thing to do.
If the OP was really worried, he could show both the Megatrain ticket to London and the London to Feltham ticket, and ask the guard for advice on changing trains to get to Feltham. If the OP does this, and the guard doesn't suggest changing at Clapham Jn, then I will be shocked.

Again, sound advice. However bare in mind that the Guard will probably be a commercial one, and therefore will have good knowledge of Megatrain terms, so I would be shocked if he recommended breaking the Megatrain terms by alighting at CLJ ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You didn't specify yellow or pink nor how current the information is. But thank you.

I did specify Yellow if you look back at my post, the information is current to a few days ago, seeing as I work around there ;)

Going back to BOJ.... We all know that alighting at a station to change trains doesn't constitute a break of journey...but this is a ticket that doesn't need to change trains....

Exactly, the Megatrain part of the journey is direct to Waterloo, the change at Clapham Junction is only to suit the OP and save them money!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't agree. Together they do indeed cover the entire Salisbury - Clapham Jn - Feltham journey. The fact that they cover an extra bit as well does not negate that fact.

Incorrect, remember that if the passenger alights at Clapham Jn, they invalidate their Megatrain ticket because of breaking the terms of it. The Megatrain ticket is to Waterloo, therefore the combined ticket that the OP should hold, should be a Waterloo to Feltham ticket.

No. The stations are:Clapham Jn - Queenstown Road - Vauxhall - London Waterloo

This is not relevant to the OP, who would be on a fast Class 159 service from Salisbury to Waterloo, which does indeed go direct from CLJ to WAT. The stations inbetween are only served by slower stopping services.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,574
You didn't specify yellow or pink nor how current the information is. But thank you.

Can anyone confirm whether there are still signs etc advertising "compulsory ticket area" - I haven't been down that way for several months so don't want to present something as fact that may now have changed.

The customer will have a ticket to negate the CTA, his\her CLJ to Twickenham won't he :?:

And hasn't it been numerously reported on here that SWT do not have any CTAs?

TP
 

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,048
Location
Yorkshire
I did specify Yellow if you look back at my post, the information is current to a few days ago, seeing as I work around there ;)

I checked back, yellow wasn't specified. Not knowing you (and my not being there for quite a while) it was not clear whether "oyster reader on p2" was in fact a pink one - or whether to an outsider unfamiliar with London the difference would be known.

Anyway, returning to the issue at hand, what would we think if our man bought Woking to Feltham or Twickenham single/return tickets? I expect in reality that this is much more expensive then the Waterloo fare already given, but it was the principle I wanted to raise really.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top