• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Matt Hancock resigns and following matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,134
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
He’s resigned.
I think that even he must have realised that his position (if you'll pardon the pun!) was untenable. Tory MPs up and down the country have faced a furious backlash from their constituency committees - and from constituents - at their weekly meetings this morning. Hancock's own constituency was probably no exception.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,685
Location
Solihull
This tells me they are fearing having to do another lockdown at some stage and can't really have Hancock in place telling people what to do.
 

Tazi Hupefi

On Moderation
Joined
1 Apr 2018
Messages
1,931
Location
Nottinghamshire
Now Hancock is out of the way, the focus really ought to be on how a covert camera even got there in the first place, that's ultimately brought down a senior member of the government. Where else might these be? Who is behind it? Is there an agenda?
 

Typhoon

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2017
Messages
3,540
Location
Kent
Soon to be Lord Hancock I would venture, else Boris may well have another Dominic Cummings style "tell all" to contend with.
Rather depends on whether it was Johnson or the 1922 who 'encouraged' him to go. Johnson hasn't exactly been over affected by Cummings revelations.

Prediction - Zahawi to replace him. I can't see it being any of the other Health ministers, Argar I know nothing about and the rest are out of their depth in their present roles.
 

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,044
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
Looks like that pressure was rising via other Tory MPs through the course of the last 24 hours. Amazing how quickly things bubble up behind the scenes.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,685
Location
Solihull
I wonder if there are any other details (and worse) to come out in the Sunday papers, we'll know in a few hours anyway.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,134
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Prediction - Zahawi to replace him. I can't see it being any of the other Health ministers, Argar I know nothing about and the rest are out of their depth in their present roles.
Or even....dare I say it for my 700th post?.... a phone call to a certain Jeremy Hunt MP?
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
Soon to be Lord Hancock I would venture, else Boris may well have another Dominic Cummings style "tell all" to contend with.
He has only resigned as Health Secretary, he remains a Conservative MP and therefore won't be heading to the House of Lords until at the very earliest after the next general election.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,562
Location
Taunton or Kent
Rather depends on whether it was Johnson or the 1922 who 'encouraged' him to go. Johnson hasn't exactly been over affected by Cummings revelations.

Prediction - Zahawi to replace him. I can't see it being any of the other Health ministers, Argar I know nothing about and the rest are out of their depth in their present roles.
Or even....dare I say it for my 700th post?.... a phone call to a certain Jeremy Hunt MP?
We're talking about Boris Johnson being in charge here, so it won't be anyone like Jeremy Hunt or another backbencher who has at least a small degree of competency, because Johnson can't have anyone who can undermine him in his cabinet if he wants to appear as a strong leader. Zahawi would be a likely replacement, but it's also possible with a reshuffle expected in the coming weeks that either the reshuffle is brought forward much sooner, and/or an interim minister is brought in.
 

Typhoon

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2017
Messages
3,540
Location
Kent
Or even....dare I say it for my 700th post?.... a phone call to a certain Jeremy Hunt MP?
I wouldn't think so, he will ask someone who won't say no. Hunt might - chair of the Health Select Committee when they look at what went wrong during the pandemic seems a pretty good seat to be sitting in. He also turned down Defence when offered it in 2019, Johnson won't have forgotten that!
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,134
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
I wouldn't think so, he will ask someone who won't say no. Hunt might - chair of the Health Select Committee when they look at what went wrong during the pandemic seems a pretty good seat to be sitting in. He also turned down Defence when offered it in 2019, Johnson won't have forgotten that!
Yes, you're right. I don't think Hunt would be prepared to work in Bojo's cabinet. There's obviously no love lost there and IIRC, Hunt was/is an ardent remainer.
 

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Joined
13 May 2017
Messages
2,172
Good riddance!

Although I’m dreading his replacement, who could be worse than Hancock and put us in another lockdown
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,957
Location
Devon
Thread title changed and poll removed now due to the change in circumstances... ;)
 

Typhoon

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2017
Messages
3,540
Location
Kent
I feel sorry for his family who have been undeservingly dragged into this though.
Absolutely. Kids, teenagers or below I guess from dates. They may get a very rough ride. They never seem to think about that. At least he hasn't paraded them before the press (wasn't it Mellor that did that - I notice that he poked his head above the parapet, 'position untenable')!
 

Peter C

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
4,739
Location
GWR land
BBC just reporting Sajid Javid is to replace Matt Hancock. Can't find the link yet but will update this as soon as I can.

-Peter

EDIT: From BBC News via their 'Breaking News' Twitter account.
Matt Hancock has resigned as health secretary after he breached social distancing guidance by kissing a colleague.
In a letter to the PM he said the government "owe it to people who have sacrificed so much in this pandemic to be honest when we have let them down".
Boris Johnson said he was "sorry" to receive the resignation.
Former chancellor Sajid Javid has been confirmed as the new health secretary, Downing Street said. [my bold]
Mr Hancock had been under increasing pressure to quit, after The Sun published pictures of Mr Hancock and Gina Coladangelo, who are both married with three children, kissing. The newspaper said they had been taken inside the Department of Health on 6 May.
Fellow Tory MPs, as well as Labour and the Covid-19 Bereaved Families for Justice group, had called for the health secretary to be sacked.
BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg said No10 had stressed that it had been Mr Hancock's decision to go and that he had not been pushed out by the prime minister.
She said Ms Coladangelo was also leaving her role as a non-executive director of the Department of Health.
In a video posted on Twitter, Mr Hancock said: "I have been to see the prime minister to resign as secretary of state for health and social care.
"I understand the enormous sacrifices that everybody in this country has made, that you have made, and those of us who make these rules have got to stick by them and that's why I have got to resign."
1624734395090.png
In response, the prime minister said Mr Hancock "should leave office very proud of what you have achieved - not just in tackling the pandemic, but even before Covid-19 struck us".
He added: "I am grateful for your support and believe that your contribution to public service is far from over."
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer tweeted: "Matt Hancock is right to resign. But Boris Johnson should have sacked him."
The SNP's Westminster leader Ian Blackford tweeted: "Massive failure of leadership by Boris Johnson, Hancock should have been sacked."
Liberal Democrats leader Sir Ed Davey tweeted that Mr Hancock's legacy was one of "failure" and he said the fact that Mr Johnson "could just carry on regardless brings the prime minister's judgement into question once again".
Tory MP Andrew Bridgen told BBC News it had become clear that a "sizeable minority or even a majority of the public no longer had confidence in Matt Hancock".
Mr Bridgen added it "was not the affair but the hypocrisy of being someone who makes the rules and then broke the rules".
Concerns had also been raised about the process which saw Ms Coladangelo, a friend of Mr Hancock's from their days at Oxford University, appointed to the role - last September.
A No 10 spokesman has insisted the "correct procedure" had been followed but refused to go into detail.
 
Last edited:

wireforever

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2019
Messages
126
At least we still have the NHS even if the minister who was in charge of it was a plonker .Patel to health secretary and any tory numpty to home secretary
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,562
Location
Taunton or Kent
BBC just reporting Sajid Javid is to replace Matt Hancock. Can't find the link yet but will update this as soon as I can.

-Peter

EDIT: From BBC News via their 'Breaking News' Twitter account.
Is he going to have to forfeit his JP Morgan role now (not that any MP should have a second job like that)?
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
BREAKING NEWS: Matt Hancock has ruled himself out of the Tottenham Hotspurs job after talks collapsed
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
He broke the law. Not just any law but a law that he signed and implemented causing misery for millions.

Sacking would be too good for him. But I might get banned if I said what should happen. It involves a very hot place.
Well he's ignored all the other rules, so now he's got time on his hands I'm sure he'll find a way to jet himself and his family out to Madeira or Tuscany in a vain attempt to save his marriage... I assume that's what you mean by a "very hot place", no? :lol:
 

96tommy

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
1,076
Location
London
Now Hancock is out of the way, the focus really ought to be on how a covert camera even got there in the first place, that's ultimately brought down a senior member of the government. Where else might these be? Who is behind it? Is there an agenda?

Maybe he did know it was there.... maybe it was his way to get out of the job. Genuinely wouldn't surprise me.

Now Javid is in the NHS will be privatised, maybe it was part of the big plan.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,562
Location
Taunton or Kent
Javid is indeed very surprising. He was telling Boris where to go last March and he's now back this June.
Back in March 2020 he resigned off the back of a condition that appeared to have been set by Cummings that he disapproved of (that being he had to sack his advisors to stay put). Perhaps now Cummings is long gone from the No.10 apparatus he can say/feel the same setup he resigned to escape from is not there anymore.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Absolutely. Kids, teenagers or below I guess from dates. They may get a very rough ride. They never seem to think about that. At least he hasn't paraded them before the press (wasn't it Mellor that did that - I notice that he poked his head above the parapet, 'position untenable')!
Yes. There was a stomach-churning photo of the whole Mellor family standing gurning at a five-barred gate. Not that long afterwards he went off to another girlfriend.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,479
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
BBC just reporting Sajid Javid is to replace Matt Hancock. Can't find the link yet but will update this as soon as I can.

-Peter

EDIT: From BBC News via their 'Breaking News' Twitter account.
Well, all our resident experts.....not many of you ventured this appointment even with aid of the RailUK crystal ball... :D

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Who cares? I'm just impressed of the quality of woman he managed to attract. There's hope for us all!
Quite a few years ago, John Major was revealed to have "connections" with Edwina Currie.....another event that no-one saw coming.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top