• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink (Non speculative discussion)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

M60lad

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
1,598
I might be wrong but being outdoors might not be helping them but I'm wondering whether some of them are out of service due to vandalism of sorts.

As to why its taking them so long to be repaired its probably down to waiting for parts as I know recently where I work we had a lift that was out of action for the best part of a month or so.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,567
Location
Lichfield
I've used the Trafford Centre line a few times on a Saturday now, every time I do, it's always full and standing in a way even Crosscountry would be ashamed of, given it's a 10 min frequency, why is it not operated with double trams rather than single?
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,891
Location
Cambridge
I've used the Trafford Centre line a few times on a Saturday now, every time I do, it's always full and standing in a way even Crosscountry would be ashamed of, given it's a 10 min frequency, why is it not operated with double trams rather than single?
Because there’s not enough M5000s for all lines to be doubles and it would result in far less singles through the city centre. If the Trafford Centre route didn’t terminate at Deansgate it might be different, though I doubt extra capacity would still be better used on the other routes.
 

M60lad

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
1,598
Also there's a few M5000s out of service for various reason at the moment requiring repairs due to accident damage etc, yes more services are doubled up these days but Metrolink themselves know which services actually require doubles more than other services.
 

BlitzFan87

On Moderation
Joined
3 Nov 2024
Messages
62
Location
Oldham
Because there’s not enough M5000s for all lines to be doubles and it would result in far less singles through the city centre. If the Trafford Centre route didn’t terminate at Deansgate it might be different, though I doubt extra capacity would still be better used on the other routes.
Presumably they need to order more trams to be able to secure doubles on the Trafford Centre line
 

317 forever

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2010
Messages
3,290
Location
North West
I've used the Trafford Centre line a few times on a Saturday now, every time I do, it's always full and standing in a way even Crosscountry would be ashamed of, given it's a 10 min frequency, why is it not operated with double trams rather than single?
I noticed that when I rode that section last Saturday (25th).
 

507 001

Established Member
Joined
3 Dec 2008
Messages
2,178
Location
Huyton
Walking into MediaCity today I have just seen a double pass by Imperial War Museum.

I do wish they had enough M5000s for double sets all round though.

Sunday service so there’s a lot more spare capacity. I’ve just made another double up on Trafford but I’ve no idea what the plan for it is.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,567
Location
Lichfield
Because there’s not enough M5000s for all lines to be doubles and it would result in far less singles through the city centre. If the Trafford Centre route didn’t terminate at Deansgate it might be different, though I doubt extra capacity would still be better used on the other routes.

Is there any plan to extend the Trafford service beyond Deansgate?
 

BlitzFan87

On Moderation
Joined
3 Nov 2024
Messages
62
Location
Oldham
Is there any plan to extend the Trafford service beyond Deansgate?
That will require ordering more trams and doing some extensive work to the overhead wires as there is not enough trams to run the service beyond Deansgate
 

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
6,083
Walking into MediaCity today I have just seen a double pass by Imperial War Museum.

I do wish they had enough M5000s for double sets all round though.

MUFC were at home today, so doubles would've been required on all lines passing near the Theatre of Dreams.

Except it seems to be more like the Theatre of Torture at the moment.
 

TheSmiths82

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2023
Messages
611
Location
Manchester
I can't helping thing that while the Bee Network buses are useful, it is trams that actually get people out of their cars and I think it is important that the Metrolink doesn't get neglected. Some of the stops are falling to pieces and it seems there is a desperate need for additional new trams. I am not sure what they could buy though now the M5000 production line has ended. As time goes by we will only end up with less and less working trams due to accidents and more trams requiring major work due to their age.

I am noticing that I am having to stand more and more often on the East Didsbury line
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,891
Location
Cambridge
Some of the tram stops could do with a lick of paint. Some have cheap looking (and off-brand) faded blue shelters and lamp posts which look quite dated and somewhat "Sheffield Supertram" :s My local, Langworthy, for example.
 

TheSmiths82

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2023
Messages
611
Location
Manchester
Which ones in particular? :s

Many of first phase of the East Didsbury line ones such as Chorlton. I a lot of it could be sorted with a good sanding down and paint, but some of the rust looks like it could become structural (I am talking about the shelters etc, rather than the actual platforms or rails :p ). . Then there is all the faded yellow on many stations. I know all the money gets spent on essential maintenance and I think Metrolink is very good when it comes to this but the stations are looking a bit neglected.

We also desperately need new PIDs on some of the busier lines which show all the trams due. St Peters Square is particularly annoying in this regard.
 

TheSmiths82

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2023
Messages
611
Location
Manchester
Some of the tram stops could do with a lick of paint. Some have cheap looking (and off-brand) faded blue shelters and lamp posts which look quite dated and somewhat "Sheffield Supertram" :s My local, Langworthy, for example.

The Supertram in particular looks very neglected as I wasn't that impressed with it when I had to use it get to the Arena. It made the Metrolink look brilliant, but I know Sheffield is heavily updating its tram system now Stagecoach no longer run it.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Not the ugly ass ones on the Trafford Centre lines though PLEASE.

I haven't actually noticed, but isn't a line I have used all that much. I will have to investigate next time I am in that area :).
 

507 001

Established Member
Joined
3 Dec 2008
Messages
2,178
Location
Huyton
I can't helping thing that while the Bee Network buses are useful, it is trams that actually get people out of their cars and I think it is important that the Metrolink doesn't get neglected. Some of the stops are falling to pieces and it seems there is a desperate need for additional new trams. I am not sure what they could buy though now the M5000 production line has ended. As time goes by we will only end up with less and less working trams due to accidents and more trams requiring major work due to their age.

I am noticing that I am having to stand more and more often on the East Didsbury line

There isn't a problem with the fleet per se. Their age is relatively inconsequential. Most of the ones out long term are due to accident damage yes, but generally as one comes out of traffic with damage it allows a long term stopper to return.

There was a day recently where there were two short forms out on the system, but that is a very rare occurrence and is incredibly heavily frowned upon. By the late afternoon both had been strengthened back to doubles too.

Some of the tram stops could do with a lick of paint. Some have cheap looking (and off-brand) faded blue shelters and lamp posts which look quite dated and somewhat "Sheffield Supertram" :s My local, Langworthy, for example.

The cheap 'off-brand' shelters are actually very much on brand for the phase 2 extensions. They weren't old enough to be economically replaced when phase three was being built, but they probably are now. Shudehill's phase 2 shelters have been replaced with new TPL style shelters.

Not the ugly ass ones on the Trafford Centre lines though PLEASE.

I don't personally find them ugly, but appearances aside they are far, far better than the original phase three shelters.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,474
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
I can't helping thing that while the Bee Network buses are useful, it is trams that actually get people out of their cars and I think it is important that the Metrolink doesn't get neglected.
What remedy do you propose for the "already got out of their cars" people in the Eccles area. Do you think that they have regretted the decision they made?
 

TheSmiths82

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2023
Messages
611
Location
Manchester
I think part of the issue is that Manchester is growing very quickly (I am not sure if Burnham is correct in saying is the fastest growing economy outside of London, but I can believe it) and perhaps the population is growing far quicker than
What remedy do you propose for the "already got out of their cars" people in the Eccles area. Do you think that they have regretted the decision they made?

No but the population of Greater Manchester is rapidly increasing, and the network has to give people a good impression to persuade people to continue doing so. I drive, I drive every day to work because I can only get half way by Metrolink and the buses are still too slow and unreliable. There has been talk of the Metrolink going about 2 miles from where I work but I will probably be retired by the time that happens.

Where I live I am lucky to live on a very regular tram line and it is direct so I use the tram to get to the city centre all the time and it is brilliant, but I think my badly made point is the Metrolink has to keep being brilliant and keep up with the rapidly growing city around it. Things like rusting shelters, broken lifts etc give a bad impression for new users of the system.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,474
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
No but the population of Greater Manchester is rapidly increasing, and the network has to give people a good impression to persuade people to continue doing so. I drive, I drive every day to work because I can only get half way by Metrolink and the buses are still too slow and unreliable. There has been talk of the Metrolink going about 2 miles from where I work but I will probably be retired by the time that happens.
I wonder if the car-driving people in the Greater Manchester area whose towns are nowhere near any Metrolink line, such as Doffcocker, Affetside, Boothstown, etc, have ever given the merest thought about the Metrolink.
 

Top