What area in the Deansgate location is being referred to? Is it the Deansgate-Castlefield tram stop line approaches?More engineering works on Metrolink, hopefully will put an end to a lot of speed restrictions we’ve seen recently. Hopefully they’ll tackle Deansgate area next, it’s painfully slow especially on a double set.
Cornbrook - Deansgate - St Peter's Square is quite painful to travel on due to the constant cat and mouse chasing of trams right in front. You pull out from Cornbrook then break several times on the bridge, and then pause outside Castlefield, and then on the ramp down to St Peter's Square, and then outside of St Peter's Square. It's great in the sense that as soon as a tram pulls out of Cornbrook another is already pulling in, but it's a nightmare when your tram is even running faster on the street running sections than on segregated 50mph lines.What area in the Deansgate location is being referred to? Is it the Deansgate-Castlefield tram stop line approaches?
Is that a sign that particular line section has now reached the optimum operational TpH figure?Cornbrook - Deansgate - St Peter's Square is quite painful to travel on due to the constant cat and mouse chasing of trams right in front. You pull out from Cornbrook then break several times on the bridge, and then pause outside Castlefield, and then on the ramp down to St Peter's Square, and then outside of St Peter's Square. It's great in the sense that as soon as a tram pulls out of Cornbrook another is already pulling in, but it's a nightmare when your tram is even running faster on the street running sections than on segregated 50mph lines.
Anyone know what time frame this is?
07:00-09:00 16:00:1800?
- Etihad Campus – Victoria (peak-time service)
Cornbrook - Deansgate - St Peter's Square is quite painful to travel on due to the constant cat and mouse chasing of trams right in front. You pull out from Cornbrook then break several times on the bridge, and then pause outside Castlefield, and then on the ramp down to St Peter's Square, and then outside of St Peter's Square. It's great in the sense that as soon as a tram pulls out of Cornbrook another is already pulling in, but it's a nightmare when your tram is even running faster on the street running sections than on segregated 50mph lines.
So much as eight consecutive eastbound trams were visible queuing at Cornbrook this afternoon - not even the direction of the rush hour flow!
(Images shown stacks of trams backed up outside Cornbrook)


Five years!!3015 returned to service fairly recently, 3027 has been out of use since 2019 I believe
I agree, even as someone who takes the tram to MediaCity for uni (from Weaste normally). When travelling to the city centre the spur is infuriating. Its a great stop - but only for its own services like the shuttle to Etihad. Not for Eccles services.The effect of reversing on the MCUK branch on the service to the rest of the is ridiculous. A lot of people would have no difficulty getting off one station before MCUK, walking a few minutes and getting back on the same tram one station after MCUK.
As a turnback during the day it's not unreasonable, but it really should be closed at other times with passengers told to use Harbour City. If that's considered too confusing or there are accessibility/personal safety concerns with expecting people to do that walk then run a shuttle to Harbour City. Adding several minutes to every Eccles journey because of one little spur added on as an afterthought to what was already a very well-used line is disproportionate.
That's a pre-auth to check that the card is working.To be safe I purchased a paper ticket with cash instead but I can already see on my bank app a £0.10 pending charge for Metrolink so a bit odd!
The zone 1-4 single of £4.60.What are the likely consequences as to what they may end up charging if I just tapped in the once and not out anywhere?
Bear in mind it's about three times the size of the next biggest tram network, so it's likely to have about three times the incidents, and as your're local you're more likely to hear about them than incidents on other networks.Does the Manchester Metrolink system have about the same percentages of various assorted mishaps as happen on the other modern tramway systems in England?
That I am aware of and was the reason why I used the word "percentage" in my posting as I assumed people would realise that applied to the size of the fleet.Bear in mind it's about three times the size of the next biggest tram network, so it's likely to have about three times the incidents, and as your're local you're more likely to hear about them than incidents on other networks
Just tried to ‘tap in’ for Metrolink (first journey of the day) and initially got a green tick but then a ‘Not authorised to travel’ red screen
To be safe I purchased a paper ticket with cash instead but I can already see on my bank app a £0.10 pending charge for Metrolink so a bit odd!
What are the likely consequences as to what they may end up charging if I just tapped in the once and not out anywhere?
I guess if the worst comes to the worst I’ll keep my paper ticket handy to email customer services…
So glad I'm not the only one who is also a huge fan of the single seats! So much so that at East Didsbury the other day I deliberately let two trams depart first in the hope that a lower numbered unit would turn up (and low and behold in comes in 3055!).Those of you who keep praising the newer M5000s over the others, do any of you on the Altrincham line want to swap with me here on Eccles?I much prefer the older trams primarily because the only difference I can notice, is that they have two very spacious single seats, which are like gold dust to me. 3075 and upwards have a seat of three longitudinal/sideways seats in that space instead, and I almost exclusively get those trams.
The single seats are like gold dust to me. Not only are they in the middle of where two seats would be (so you get more arm room and you're not wedged against the window, so you have optimum tram comfort), but they avoid situations like on Saturday morning, where a woman stinking of weed sat firmly next to me, leaned right over to me, and spent twenty minutes invading my personal space while telling me that James Arthur once loved her and that all of his songs are about her. I was too scared to move! They also have little almost tables, perfect for holding your morning Red Bull
![]()
Yes I let the higher numbered in front go too if I’m in for a long journeySo glad I'm not the only one who is also a huge fan of the single seats! So much so that at East Didsbury the other day I deliberately let two trams depart first in the hope that a lower numbered unit would turn up (and low and behold in comes in 3055!).
They are normal when there's not engineering works (which there currently are between St Peters Square and Piccadilly Gardens), but yes, the derailment changed things.I travelled from Piccadilly to Bury and back yesterday and was surprised to get direct trams, no change required, because when I'd looked the day before there were no direct services and you had to change at Victoria (or Crumpsall).
So the direct services yesterday were not normal, but a temporary consequence of the derailment?
Bury normally gets 5tph to Piccadilly via Market Street and 5tph to Altrincham via Market Street and Deansgate. Until Tuesday, all Bury services are temporarily all Altrincham via Exchange Square and Deansgate ones to maintain the service level on Altrincham (Metrolink’s busiest route) while a blockade prevents both Piccadilly Altrincham and Bury Altrincham via Market St from running.I travelled from Piccadilly to Bury and back yesterday and was surprised to get direct trams, no change required, because when I'd looked the day before there were no direct services and you had to change at Victoria (or Crumpsall).
So the direct services yesterday were not normal, but a temporary consequence of the derailment?
What I don't get is why they are running all the altrincham trams through to Bury and terminating all the trams from Picadilly at Crumpsall. Rather than terminating some of the Altrincham trams at Crumpsall and running the Picadilly trams through to Bury.Bury normally gets 5tph to Piccadilly via Market Street and 5tph to Altrincham via Market Street and Deansgate. Until Tuesday, all Bury services are temporarily all Altrincham via Exchange Square and Deansgate ones to maintain the service level on Altrincham (Metrolink’s busiest route) while a blockade prevents both Piccadilly Altrincham and Bury Altrincham via Market St from running.