Hi, does anyone know of a potential new bee network tram livery being applied to the m5000s, an official one like the most buses do?
AFAIK this is all that has been released so far
Hi, does anyone know of a potential new bee network tram livery being applied to the m5000s, an official one like the most buses do?
Would an all-over yellow livery show more grime caused by being in service than the existing large silver-grey area sections of the current tram livery?AFAIK this is all that has been released so far
Hi, does anyone know of a potential new bee network tram livery being applied to the m5000s, an official one like the most buses do?
Would an all-over yellow livery show more grime caused by being in service than the existing large silver-grey area sections of the current tram livery?
Metrolink tram 3079 is the tram wrapped in Bee Network colours
Metrolink M5000 no: 3079 in Say Yellow To The Bee Network all-over livery with a Victoria service at St. Peter's Square stop, Manchester 28-9-23 Credit: onewayticket
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7681357@N02/53233214561
Can anyone remember what the general feeling was at the time when the original Metrolink livery of blue and white was changed to the existing livery? Who was it who made the decision to do that?Much better than the silver. It also appears to be a nicer shade of yellow than the horrible one they’ve painted the buses…
I have to say the yellow wrap matches the yellow on the cab perfectly, well done to metrolinkYes that’s it. Couldn’t remember the number.
Walked past it on the depot this morning and it looks quite smart. Much better than the silver. It also appears to be a nicer shade of yellow than the horrible one they’ve painted the buses…
One of those corporate identity refresh things announced by a brand consultancy firm called 'Hemisphere' following a competitive tender. Almost certainly planned to co-incide with the ordering of the (then new) M5000 tram units and the significant expansion of the Metrolink system. Yellow (offset with silver) was apparently chosen due to its high visibility.Can anyone remember what the general feeling was at the time when the original Metrolink livery of blue and white was changed to the existing livery? Who was it who made the decision to do that?
Thank you for that detailed explanation and naming the actual colour scheme of the original fleet. At present, what actual percentage of a tram body is silver and what percentage is yellow?One of those corporate identity refresh things announced by a brand consultancy firm called 'Hemisphere' following a competitive tender. Almost certainly planned to co-incide with the ordering of the (then new) M5000 tram units and the significant expansion of the Metrolink system. Yellow (offset with silver) was apparently chosen due to its high visibility.
The official corporate colours before 2008/9 were, IIRC, light and dark grey and aquamarine.
Possibly 40% yellow (mostly towards the cab ends), the other 60% grey.At present, what actual percentage of a tram body is silver and what percentage is yellow?
Certainly all the M5000s were delivered in this livery, though I recall seeing one in the depot without the circles and they may all have had them added after delivery. If I recall correctly one of the original vehicles was re-liveried, but presumably no more were done once they decided to buy more M5000s to replace them.One of those corporate identity refresh things announced by a brand consultancy firm called 'Hemisphere' following a competitive tender. Almost certainly planned to co-incide with the ordering of the (then new) M5000 tram units and the significant expansion of the Metrolink system. Yellow (offset with silver) was apparently chosen due to its high visibility.
The official corporate colours before 2008/9 were, IIRC, light and dark grey and aquamarine.
From bodywork experience with fleets of commercial vehicles - yellow is a God awful colour to maintain. It fades and holds Grime worse than any other colour and becomes next to impossible to colour match for the inevitable touch ups that are reguarly required.Would an all-over yellow livery show more grime caused by being in service than the existing large silver-grey area sections of the current tram livery?
Certainly all the M5000s were delivered in this livery, though I recall seeing one in the depot without the circles and they may all have had them added after delivery. If I recall correctly one of the original vehicles was re-liveried, but presumably no more were done once they decided to buy more M5000s to replace them.
aquamarine
Certainly all the M5000s were delivered in this livery, though I recall seeing one in the depot without the circles and they may all have had them added after delivery. If I recall correctly one of the original vehicles was re-liveried, but presumably no more were done once they decided to buy more M5000s to replace them.
Mayor’s hint over in-demand tram link to Stockport
A "detailed update" on the case for linking Greater Manchester's Metrolink tram network to Stockport will be shared before 2024, mayor Andy Burnham has said.
Mr Burnham said the ongoing work at the town's new transport interchange will soon be "Metrolink ready".
He added the combined authority was looking at "precise schemes" to extend the network.
Residents in Stockport have long wanted a tram connection.
Recent plans shared to replace two bridges in the town included tram and train futureproofing for one additional track.
Speaking to BBC Radio Manchester, Mr Burnham also said the region has more funding from the government as a result of changes to national transport projects such as HS2, which was axed in the North.
The mayor said: "Transport for Greater Manchester have been doing a detailed assessment of all of our ambitions for Metrolink, and the Metrolink to Stockport is a big part of that.
"The new interchange that links to new infrastructure is going to be Metrolink ready, so it's being built with that capability.
"What we're doing now is looking at the precise schemes that we've got to expand Metrolink and looking at the cost of them and we're going to publish that work later this year.
"We've got a big ambition to take Metrolink to Stockport but we've also got one to take it north up through close to Middleton, Heywood and up to Bury through the Atom Valley site.
"We've got a bit more capital funding from the government. We didn't agree with their decision around high-speed rail, and east-west rail across the North, but as a result of that they've increased some of our local capital so we've got some extra ability to do more.
"The long and short of it is that it's a really important ambition for the city region, we're going to give a really detailed update later this year on the business case for bringing Metrolink to Stockport so look out for that."
What's the current thinking on the likely routeing of any such Metrolink extension into Stockport town centre?Fascinating. I thought the scheme to extend Metrolink from East Didsbury to Stockport was long gone, and I think it definitely has potential to be very well used. I'm certainly intrigued and I'll be following updates![]()
What's the current thinking on the likely routeing of any such Metrolink extension into Stockport town centre?
Would a line extension from the current East Didsbury tram terminus when reaching the area of the new Stockport interchange give a connectional same-level linkage as currently found in Ashton-under-Lyne?I'm not well enough versed on Stockport and the surrounding area to form an opinion there, but I seem to recall there's an old railway formation from East Didsbury that currently hosts a shared-use path. My memory of that could be wrong however, it's been on my list to research for ages!
If the extension makes it to that new and fancy looking bus station, I'd say that would suffice. Into the town centre itself, which I haven't got around to fully exploring yet, may not be strictly necessary if it makes it to the bus station. I have not caught a bus there yet, but it certainly would make a great interchange.
Attached fromI'm not well enough versed on Stockport and the surrounding area to form an opinion there, but I seem to recall there's an old railway formation from East Didsbury that currently hosts a shared-use path. My memory of that could be wrong however, it's been on my list to research for ages!
If the extension makes it to that new and fancy looking bus station, I'd say that would suffice. Into the town centre itself, which I haven't got around to fully exploring yet, may not be strictly necessary if it makes it to the bus station. I have not caught a bus there yet, but it certainly would make a great interchange.
Would a line extension from the current East Didsbury tram terminus when reaching the area of the new Stockport interchange give a connectional same-level linkage as currently found in Ashton-under-Lyne?
Attached from
British Railway pre-grouping Altlas and Gazetteer, Ian Allan 1976.
The line currently re-used by the tram to East Didsbury used to continue to Stockport Tiviot Dale or to Cheadle Heath and the Midland line.

I'm not well enough versed on Stockport and the surrounding area to form an opinion there, but I seem to recall there's an old railway formation from East Didsbury that currently hosts a shared-use path. My memory of that could be wrong however, it's been on my list to research for ages!
If the extension makes it to that new and fancy looking bus station, I'd say that would suffice. Into the town centre itself, which I haven't got around to fully exploring yet, may not be strictly necessary if it makes it to the bus station. I have not caught a bus there yet, but it certainly would make a great interchange.
Excellent question. I'm trying to picture the area, and while I think it is doable I'd have to hand over to a local to confirm. There's some interesting geography to navigate just west of Stockport, and I don't think there's room alongside the A560 (I think that's the number) towards Cheadle.
Thanks! I'll have a look after lunch
EDIT: Quick look had, now I'll just have to compare it to the current day to cast a view but I suspect it should be doable. Whether or not the shared-use path would be kept is another matter!
Would a line extension from the current East Didsbury tram terminus when reaching the area of the new Stockport interchange give a connectional same-level linkage as currently found in Ashton-under-Lyne?
I think they have just started works to replace that bridge last week. It will be a bit of a nightmare for me as I often use it on the drive home and I hate driving down the A6.The original plan for Metrolink to reach Stockport was indeed partially along the formation of the CLC Tiviot Dale line, but then a very tortuous route requiring a new bridge over the M60 and no less than three over the River Mersey. It would also have had to somehow navigate the busy M60 / Brinksway junction.
Metrolink Stockport
(Courtesy MWMBWLS of this Parish)
The latest thinking is to reinstate the Midland main-line bridge over the Mersey to Cheadle Heath and build a new spur there onto the Altrincham - Stockport line to allow tram-train operation to Edgeley station and then down the hill to the Interchange. Greek Street bridge, just south of Edgeley station is scheduled to be replaced in 2025 (it has concrete cancer), and will have passive provision for Metrolink tracks. Although this a longer route to Stockport it gives much better connection with heavy rail and the town itself and serves the Edgeley district.
I believe TfGM's most recent publication showing possible Metrolink and tram-train routes to Stockport was this schematic map in the 2021 Five Year Transport Delivery Plan:The original plan for Metrolink to reach Stockport was indeed partially along the formation of the CLC Tiviot Dale line, but then a very tortuous route requiring a new bridge over the M60 and no less than three over the River Mersey. It would also have had to somehow navigate the busy M60 / Brinksway junction.
Metrolink Stockport
(Courtesy MWMBWLS of this Parish)
The latest thinking is to reinstate the Midland main-line bridge over the Mersey to Cheadle Heath and build a new spur there onto the Altrincham - Stockport line to allow tram-train operation to Edgeley station and then down the hill to the Interchange. Greek Street bridge, just south of Edgeley station is scheduled to be replaced in 2025 (it has concrete cancer), and will have passive provision for Metrolink tracks. Although this a longer route to Stockport it gives much better connection with heavy rail and the town itself and serves the Edgeley district.

Noting the mention of tram-train routes above, what is the latest news about a fleet of tram-trains for the Greater Manchester area and where will these be stabled?I believe TfGM's most recent publication showing possible Metrolink and tram-train routes to Stockport was this schematic map in the 2021 Five Year Transport Delivery Plan:
View attachment 145570
Also shown are possible tram-train routes (red dashes) from E Didsbury to Hazel Grove, using the former MML alignment (now freight only) through Cheadle Heath; from Stockport to Manchester Airport, using the Stockport - Altrincham line through Edgeley and Cheadle, then joining the existing Metrolink line in Baguley; and from Stockport to Tameside, using the line from Heaton Norris via Reddish South and Denton. There might be a junction between the first two of these where the lines cross, so providing a roundabout tram-train route from E Didsbury to Stockport via Edgeley as an alternative to the Mersey valley tramway route, as @Sir Felix Pole suggested above
Noting the mention of tram-train routes above, what is the latest news about a fleet of tram-trains for the Greater Manchester area and where will these be stabled?
I agree, but it's become political, "Metrolink good, anything else bad".I do not see major benefit of extending Metrolink to Stockport town centre, given:
- the substantial infrastructure costs in building this extension from Parrs Wood, as the ex-MR/CLC alignment has been essentially destroyed east of this point and there is a need to cross the Mersey Valley by some means.
- the roundabout route of the old South District line into central Manchester, which with frequent stops takes 25 minutes from East Didsbury to St Peter's Square and would take about 35 minutes from Stockport.
- the existence of fast frequent trains from Stockport Edgeley station to Piccadilly, with some also calling at Oxford Road.