• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Airport train cancellations

Status
Not open for further replies.

stq123

Member
Joined
16 May 2023
Messages
39
Location
New York, United States
Does anyone know what’s up with the large number of train cancellations (>50% of those scheduled, seemingly) from Manchester Piccadilly to the airport? Have a flight tomorrow morning and am wondering if I should give myself extra time to get over there.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,161
Location
Wilmslow
Does anyone know what’s up with the large number of train cancellations (>50% of those scheduled, seemingly) from Manchester Piccadilly to the airport? Have a flight tomorrow morning and am wondering if I should give myself extra time to get over there.
Yes, you should give yourself extra time, the trains are not reliable and there are many cancellations, especially those operated by TransPennine Express.
It doesn't directly help you, but I used to live in Manchester and I gave up trying to use the train to get to the airport. Because the airport is in Greater Manchester a metered taxi is not exorbitantly expensive, although they'll nowadays add on the fee they get charged for using the airport as well.
 

ruaival

Member
Joined
25 Jan 2020
Messages
116
Location
New Mills, Derbyshire
Does anyone know what’s up with the large number of train cancellations (>50% of those scheduled, seemingly) from Manchester Piccadilly to the airport? Have a flight tomorrow morning and am wondering if I should give myself extra time to get over there.
These appear daily on the departures screen in our Manchester office, and I have always thought they are 'turning short' at Piccadilly if crew or train is running late.
 

Urobach

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2007
Messages
209
Does anyone know what’s up with the large number of train cancellations (>50% of those scheduled, seemingly) from Manchester Piccadilly to the airport? Have a flight tomorrow morning and am wondering if I should give myself extra time to get over there.
Appears to be due to a trespass related incident in the Lostock area

The Blackpool and Cumbria trains are running through again, albeit delayed and some are being turned back at Manchester Oxford Road/Piccadilly to pick up return workings instead of running through to the airport
 

North-Valiant

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2022
Messages
81
Location
Stoke-on-Trent
Yes, you should give yourself extra time, the trains are not reliable and there are many cancellations, especially those operated by TransPennine Express.
It doesn't directly help you, but I used to live in Manchester and I gave up trying to use the train to get to the airport. Because the airport is in Greater Manchester a metered taxi is not exorbitantly expensive, although they'll nowadays add on the fee they get charged for using the airport as well.
Is it possible to get the tram from Manchester Piccadilly instead?
 

stq123

Member
Joined
16 May 2023
Messages
39
Location
New York, United States
Yes, you should give yourself extra time, the trains are not reliable and there are many cancellations, especially those operated by TransPennine Express.
It doesn't directly help you, but I used to live in Manchester and I gave up trying to use the train to get to the airport. Because the airport is in Greater Manchester a metered taxi is not exorbitantly expensive, although they'll nowadays add on the fee they get charged for using the airport as well.
Makes sense. This is admittedly for a day trip to Dublin I’m not too fussed about though so worst comes to worst I just get to spend another day in Manchester
Appears to be due to a trespass related incident in the Lostock area

The Blackpool and Cumbria trains are running through again, albeit delayed and some are being turned back at Manchester Oxford Road/Piccadilly to pick up return workings instead of running through to the airport
oh, okay - so it won’t be an issue tomorrow, I assume?
 
Joined
2 Sep 2022
Messages
104
Location
Wf3
On a similar note, I have an early ish flight from Manchester in June. I used to catch the overnight/early morning services from Leeds, but a quick look on Real Time Trains suggests they are cancelled more often than not these days, so looks like it's a hotel nearby to add expense to an otherwise cheap trip
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,942
Location
Mold, Clwyd
There are 5tph Northern services between Piccadilly and the Airport which are pretty reliable (notably the 2 stoppers), plus the TfW service.
TPE only run 1 or 2 tph, so overall it's not difficult to reach the Airport, but through trains can be tricky.
With TfW unaffected by the upcoming strikes, that seems the best bet at the moment.
 

scragend

Member
Joined
27 Feb 2016
Messages
211
Well I just checked the Metro website and it said that there was a tram from Victoria in seven minutes. You change at Cornbrook for Trafford Park.

I think what Mcr Warrior meant was that if you get the tram from Piccadilly you would have to change at Cornbrook onto the Airport tram (that has come from Victoria). You could of course also change at St. Peter's Square or Deansgate-Castlefield.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,635
Location
Isle of Man
Well I just checked the Metro website and it said that there was a tram from Victoria in seven minutes. You change at Cornbrook for Trafford Park.
The tram runs from Victoria via Market Street.

If you are travelling from Piccadilly you must either walk to Market Street or change trams at Market Street or at stations from St Peter’s Square to Cornbrook.

The tram takes about an hour, it’s useful in an emergency but you’ll need to leave a lot earlier if you intend to take the tram.
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,305
Location
South West London
On a similar note, I have an early ish flight from Manchester in June. I used to catch the overnight/early morning services from Leeds, but a quick look on Real Time Trains suggests they are cancelled more often than not these days, so looks like it's a hotel nearby to add expense to an otherwise cheap trip

They do provide replacement buses (more often that not minibuses) even for the ‘short notice change to the timetable’/‘p-coded’ cancellation the day before before 10pm cancellations.

I’ve had one from York at 1:30am, being the only passenger on it.
 

richfoz84

Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
383
There’s about 8 trains an hour from Piccadilly to the airport. Everything being cancelled means an issue on the track. The odd cancellation is down to a cancelled train normally and not disruption on the line.
 
Joined
2 Sep 2022
Messages
104
Location
Wf3
They do provide replacement buses (more often that not minibuses) even for the ‘short notice change to the timetable’/‘p-coded’ cancellation the day before before 10pm cancellations.

I’ve had one from York at 1:30am, being the only passenger on it.
That's interesting to know thank you
 

Andyh82

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2014
Messages
4,606
These appear daily on the departures screen in our Manchester office, and I have always thought they are 'turning short' at Piccadilly if crew or train is running late.
It’s worse for passengers coming across from Yorkshire as their service would be turned short at Victoria

I’m not sure what alternative arrangements TPE would suggest in this situation as there are no other Airport trains from Victoria. It was much easier when they predominantly served Piccadilly as if any service as turned short there would no doubt be another Airport train within 10 minutes
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,305
I’m not sure what alternative arrangements TPE would suggest in this situation as there are no other Airport trains from Victoria.
Walk? Interchange at Salford Crescent? Catch the Metrolink tram? Or maybe get the No. 2 free bus?
 

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
On a similar note, I have an early ish flight from Manchester in June. I used to catch the overnight/early morning services from Leeds, but a quick look on Real Time Trains suggests they are cancelled more often than not these days, so looks like it's a hotel nearby to add expense to an otherwise cheap trip
I used to get the c.0540 from Doncaster, jump in a preordered taxi at Stockport and arrive at the airport at 0715, which was fine for any morning flights leaving after 0845. Never let me down.

Now that would be impossible to rely on.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,305
Would there be ticket acceptance on the tram in such a situation?
Maybe, maybe not. Tickets from rail stations in the North of Greater Manchester usually have route "Manchester CTLZ" on them, to facilitate the cross Manchester transfer without any further charge. Otherwise it's a £1.40 single needed.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,494
Location
Yorkshire
Would there be ticket acceptance on the tram in such a situation?
Unlikely, but the tram is included in the price of tickets issued for travel wholly within Greater Manchester; it's often cheaper to split at the boundary anyway! (where this is the case, the forum's site will offer this automatically)

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

e.g.
ADULT​
​
£17.50​
From​
WALSDEN​
​
​
To​
MANCHESTER AIRPT​
​
​
Route​
VIA MANCHESTER​

ADULT​
​
£7.40​
From​
LITTLEBOROUGH​
​
​
To​
MANCHESTER AIRPT​
​
​
Route​
METROLINK CTLZ​

Yes, you pay over £10 to travel through a very expensive tunnel, and lose the ability to use the tram. It's cheaper to split; the forum's booking will tell you that but Northern's won't!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Does anyone know what’s up with the large number of train cancellations (>50% of those scheduled, seemingly) from Manchester Piccadilly to the airport? Have a flight tomorrow morning and am wondering if I should give myself extra time to get over there.
How long are you allowing? My understanding is that you should allow 2 hours to be covered by insurance (in practice, that is a bit overkill if you are hand baggage only) however I would advise allowing longer if possible.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I used to get the c.0540 from Doncaster, jump in a preordered taxi at Stockport and arrive at the airport at 0715, which was fine for any morning flights leaving after 0845. Never let me down.

Now that would be impossible to rely on.
Dodgy as that does not allow the recommended 2 hrs minimum, but acceptable if you can afford to miss the flight on the basis that you'd make it on the vast majority of occasions.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Walk? Interchange at Salford Crescent? Catch the Metrolink tram? Or maybe get the No. 2 free bus?
Personally I walk; if I am in a rush I will jog it; I have made it from platform to platform in under 10 mins. But for most people you'd be wanting to allow more like 25 minutes, assuming you know where you are going and walk at a reasonable speed.
 
Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,305
Personally I walk; if I am in a rush I will jog it; I have made it from platform to platform in under 10 mins. But for most people you'd be wanting to allow more like 25 minutes, assuming you know where you are going and walk at a reasonable speed.
Jogging may well be somewhat less than practical for anyone travelling to the Airport with more than the very smallest amount of accompanying luggage. Doesn't help either that Victoria to Piccadilly is ever so slightly uphill.
 

td97

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2017
Messages
1,562
It’s worse for passengers coming across from Yorkshire as their service would be turned short at Victoria

I’m not sure what alternative arrangements TPE would suggest in this situation as there are no other Airport trains from Victoria. It was much easier when they predominantly served Piccadilly as if any service as turned short there would no doubt be another Airport train within 10 minutes
I've heard that TPE chuck airport passengers off at Huddersfield for them to join the stopper to Piccadilly, and change there for the frequent airport services.
I presume if the cancellation is only known about when the service arrives at Victoria (late running crew change etc.), then the default is wait 1 hour for the next service.
 

noddingdonkey

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2012
Messages
927
Given that most passengers will be on airport advance tickets, are there any easements allowing travel on an earlier service in anticipation that the service will be disrupted?
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,494
Location
Yorkshire
Given that most passengers will be on airport advance tickets,
This isn't relevant for a journey to the airport
are there any easements allowing travel on an earlier service in anticipation that the service will be disrupted?
The best thing to do is to book the earliest practicable departure; if that service is cancelled or significantly delayed you would then be entitled to take the train before or after.
 

noddingdonkey

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2012
Messages
927
I think the advance element is relevant, passengers need to get to the airport for a fixed time so advances are likely to be common.

In view of the consequences of an airport train being cancelled it feels like an easement to travel on an earlier service wouldn't be unreasonable in view of the general lack of reliability.
 

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2005
Messages
2,751
Location
Staffordshire
I think the advance element is relevant, passengers need to get to the airport for a fixed time so advances are likely to be common.

In view of the consequences of an airport train being cancelled it feels like an easement to travel on an earlier service wouldn't be unreasonable in view of the general lack of reliability.
Of course, that's assuming you have enough notice of your booked train being cancelled to be able to catch an earlier train. Personally, I'd prefer the safer* option of booking the earlier train (*unless, of course, consecutive services are cancelled, in which case you'd be screwed either way).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top