edwin_m
Veteran Member
I have also heard that the comms equipment is relatively easy to turn off from the cockpit - this seems a little odd in itself, as why would anyone want to (under normal circumstances) turn it off?
Without any specific technical knowledge I'd suggest this would occasionally be necessary if the equipment becomes faulty. For example if there is a short circuit the relevant breaker might knock out several different systems, and by turning all these off, re-closing and turning them back on one at a time the fault can be identified and the offending system left switched off. With a comms system there is also the possibility of a fault "jamming" the radio channel so nobody else can use it. The philosophy with aircraft systems seems to be to duplicate everything, especially the power supplies, so the design will allow at least one failure to occur without losing any vital functions.
However I referred further up thread to an incident where a single point failure took out all voice communications to an aircraft. I've now found the link to this one again:
www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/4-2009_G-EZAC.pdf
As I suggested previously, the fault took out all voice communications to air traffic control for the rest of the flight, and also took out the radar transponder for 20min or so until the crew were able to restore this by re-configuring circuits. It also appears the crew should in theory have been able to get the radio working as well, but for whatever reason (bearing in mind the increased workload caused by all the other failures on the same circuit) they weren't able to.
Last edited: