• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Malaysia Airlines MH370 "Lost Contact"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECML180

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2013
Messages
518
Location
Doncaster
The most worrying thing is that it's beginning to sound like a job for Jonathon Creek, it is just so far removed from the norms. The latest rumours and suggestions seem to revolve around either North Korea or Aliens, but I'm still sticking by the thought it's Derren Brown! ;)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mbonwick

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2006
Messages
6,311
Location
Kendal
I would tend to believe Rolls Royce saying that the engines were running for 4-5 hours after contact was lost, and that everyone is probably looking in the wrong place...
 

Temple Meads

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2010
Messages
2,283
Location
Devon
All made even more confusing by the story that the phones of some of those onboard are still ringing... I doubt they'd still be working so deep underwater!!! :s

Unfortunately phone's 'ringing through' are most likely displaying a network artefact for phones on international roaming, an explanation better than any I could give is here: http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/2014/0311/Why-are-missing-Malaysia-Airlines-passengers-phones-still-ringing

My honest opinion is that I can't see the plane being anywhere other than the bottom of the sea, I couldn't speculate where in the water it is and how it ended up there though...
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
I would tend to believe Rolls Royce saying that the engines were running for 4-5 hours after contact was lost, and that everyone is probably looking in the wrong place...

I read in the Guardian yesterday that Rolls Royce have denied this and said there is no data sent back to them after about an hour and five minutes in to the flight. Also Boeing have warned about possible airframe cracks on similar 777's in the not too distant past. Albeit not on the 777-200ER but on other 777's. They did say it may not be confined to just the 200.
 

Johnuk123

Established Member
Joined
19 Mar 2012
Messages
2,800
The longer this goes on the more it seems that the world is being fed a major disinformation campaign.

Could it be because they know full well where it has landed and as terrorists are rapidly filling it with explosives they don't wish to let on they are on to them.

Conspiracy theorists are having a field day on this one so conspire away.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,937
Location
UK
The misinformation being spread, and the regurgitation of old (and subsequently discounted) rumours is worrying. Actually, no it isn't - it happens all the time now. This morning, I've read loads of 'news' that is a repeat of stuff from days ago - all posted as if it's 'latest news' by the individuals concerned.

The media has to take most of the blame for it too, as it puts stuff online and then fails to update the articles when they're discounted. And given the way Google works, as more and more people share these pages, they bump up the page.

People need to, hard as it might be, sit back and wait. All of this involves real human beings.

Far too many people see it as some sort of game, to come up with as many theories as possible - presumably to say 'I told you so' later on. I mean, if you suggest everything from hijacking to aliens, you'll probably be covered. And even though it's a long time since it happened, it isn't 'weird' or 'suspicious' that a plane hasn't been found yet.

I should point out that I'm not talking about this thread, but I've seen some incredible things elsewhere - from other forums to social media.

It worries (and saddens) me that this is now the norm when anything big happens. Even the gas explosion in New York brought out all the keyboard experts and conspiracy theorists and web sites not usually covering such things fell over themselves to get involved and get some traffic.

It doesn't matter what people are talking about, as long as they're talking about it and upping the page views (Mail Online, I'm especially looking at you here!).

Rant over!
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
The misinformation being spread, and the regurgitation of old (and subsequently discounted) rumours is worrying. Actually, no it isn't - it happens all the time now. This morning, I've read loads of 'news' that is a repeat of stuff from days ago - all posted as if it's 'latest news' by the individuals concerned.

The media has to take most of the blame for it too, as it puts stuff online and then fails to update the articles when they're discounted. And given the way Google works, as more and more people share these pages, they bump up the page.

People need to, hard as it might be, sit back and wait. All of this involves real human beings.

Far too many people see it as some sort of game, to come up with as many theories as possible - presumably to say 'I told you so' later on. I mean, if you suggest everything from hijacking to aliens, you'll probably be covered. And even though it's a long time since it happened, it isn't 'weird' or 'suspicious' that a plane hasn't been found yet.

I should point out that I'm not talking about this thread, but I've seen some incredible things elsewhere - from other forums to social media.

It worries (and saddens) me that this is now the norm when anything big happens. Even the gas explosion in New York brought out all the keyboard experts and conspiracy theorists and web sites not usually covering such things fell over themselves to get involved and get some traffic.

It doesn't matter what people are talking about, as long as they're talking about it and upping the page views (Mail Online, I'm especially looking at you here!).

Rant over!

Spot on mate. Loads of people are quoting all kinds of theories but chances are it was a very tragic and unusual structural failure of this type of plane. This is one of the most popular makes of long haul plane in the world with several thousand flying. They have been flying for around twenty years and only three have crashed. If there was a car with similar statistics everyone would own one.
 

Johnuk123

Established Member
Joined
19 Mar 2012
Messages
2,800
Even though it's a long time since it happened, it isn't 'weird' or 'suspicious' that a plane hasn't been found yet.

Sky has just had the UK's top radar expert and also a very experienced ex 777 pilot and both of them said this event is without doubt totally unprecedented in scale and detail.


http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBREA2D0DG20140314?irpc=932

KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Military radar data suggests a Malaysia Airlines jetliner missing for nearly a week was deliberately flown hundreds of miles off course, heightening suspicions of foul play among investigators, sources told Reuters on Friday.
Analysis of the Malaysia data suggests the plane, with 239 people on board, diverted from its intended northeast route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing and flew west instead, using airline flight corridors normally employed for routes to the Middle East and Europe, said sources familiar with investigations into the Boeing 777's disappearance.
 
Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,937
Location
UK
I actually watched this drivel as I wanted to see how low Channel 5 could stoop. And wow, did it not disappoint. It was made by ITN too!
 

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
I apologise for wasting an hour of your life. If it is any consolation I wasted an hour of mine too. Poor wasn't the word.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,937
Location
UK
I apologise for wasting an hour of your life. If it is any consolation I wasted an hour of mine too. Poor wasn't the word.

It wasn't so much an hour of my life wasted (I wanted to see how bad it was and how it was ever going to fill an hour with no information) but the realisation that everything I said before about how the media has fuelled speculation and mistruths has been proven by this, and I guess also the Sky 1 show that I didn't see. Yet, I don't feel that smug - rather more disappointed I wasn't proved wrong.

The only good thing was that 99% of the Tweets (search for #ThePlaneThatVanished) were slagging off the show, so there's SOME hope for us yet.
 

phil8715

Member
Joined
19 Aug 2007
Messages
266
I actually watched this drivel as I wanted to see how low Channel 5 could stoop. And wow, did it not disappoint. It was made by ITN too!


I watched it too and it didn't tell us anything we didn't know already.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
The Malaysia Prime Minister has this morning confirmed the planes communication systems was deliberately disabled and they believe the plane flew for a further 7 hours based on satellite bings.
It opens the question to has it been hijacked and taken to a disused air strip somewhere, which would explain the lack of debris. Apparently there are considerable number of disused and rural airstrips in Asia Left from various conflicts
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
How many could take a 777? Could one do a rough field (I know rough field kits were available for the Pre NG 737s and early A320s)
 

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Joined
22 Sep 2013
Messages
7,691
.
So what does that say about all the adjoining countries that claim to be watching their air space ? Presumably it could be a fleet of bombers and they still wouldn't notice !!
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,849
Location
Epsom
...or the USAF know exactly where it is and are trying to keep it quiet because it's had a dirty bomb placed on board... they can't get the search called off because they'd have to explain why.

[/conspiracy theory]



( Didn't watch the TV thingy; if this has already been suggested on it then I had no idea... )




The point I'm trying to make here is that speculation doesn't get us anywhere; we will soon enough find out what really has happened and it will probably be one of the simpler possibilities.
 
Last edited:

mbonwick

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2006
Messages
6,311
Location
Kendal
.
So what does that say about all the adjoining countries that claim to be watching their air space ? Presumably it could be a fleet of bombers and they still wouldn't notice !!

Same story that the Malaysian Air Force are saying - it would be an unidentified blip on a radar screen in approximately the corridors used by airliners. As it was not doing anything obviously threatening, they'd have no reason to pay it any particular attention.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
It is all very very strange!

It was probably good I hadn't heard about this until after I had flown back to England last Monday, too!

Was talking with my family about this again not so long since - the more that comes to light, the more I expect it will end up being located somewhere having possibly been properly landed - it having to light it does appear likely to have flown for a number of hours after the comms were lost would suggest against a suicide mission or such like - surely logically if that's all you were out for, you'd ditch the plane in the sea/into land within a relatively short time frame, not keep going for hours.

I have also heard that the comms equipment is relatively easy to turn off from the cockpit - this seems a little odd in itself, as why would anyone want to (under normal circumstances) turn it off?

It is somewhat concerning that we (as a world) can "lose" a 777 jet without trace!

Am I also right in thinking that the jet had Trent engines from Rolls? Do these not report telemetry back to Rolls and has there been any such information from them?
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
Am I also right in thinking that the jet had Trent engines from Rolls? Do these not report telemetry back to Rolls and has there been any such information from them?

There was a statement alleging to be from Rolls Royce early this week that the engines were reporting back as running for 5 hours after disappearance. This statement was then retracted.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
There was a statement alleging to be from Rolls Royce early this week that the engines were reporting back as running for 5 hours after disappearance. This statement was then retracted.

Ah right. Apologies, I may have missed that, just something one of my colleagues mentioned on Thursday about the incident
 

thebigcheese

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2012
Messages
165
*Tin foil hat time*
My prediction: This seems a highly organised mission carried out by people with huge inside knowledge. I suspect something like Stuxnet has occurred but with the computer system on board. Done either as a proof of concept or for reasons that will become apparent - I suspect this won't be the last plane to go missing though
 

user15681

Established Member
Joined
3 Jun 2012
Messages
1,354
Given that contact was lost around 1:30am local time and the plane had enough fuel for 5 hours flying (up until 6:30am), is the fact that it was still pinging the satellite at 8:11am signficant? Or is this just a case of the fuel not being used as much as normal so it flew for longer, i.e tail winds?

I'm not knowledgeable really with AV, so I've probably missed something.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
Given that contact was lost around 1:30am local time and the plane had enough fuel for 5 hours flying (up until 6:30am), is the fact that it was still pinging the satellite at 8:11am signficant? Or is this just a case of the fuel not being used as much as normal so it flew for longer, i.e tail winds?

I'm not knowledgeable really with AV, so I've probably missed something.

I understand they will glide for a couple of hours as well dependent on wind and weather circumstances.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire

Thanks for that - that will have been it! I'm sure they will have some data for that plane!

I understand they will glide for a couple of hours as well dependent on wind and weather circumstances.

I think you may be right with that - it has certainly been said in the case of engine troubles, the various flaps/ailerons can be set for either a rapid descent or to enable it to maintain altitude - at the end of the day, every plane is pretty much just a giant glider, in essence.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top