• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Major Engineering works to close stations this Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavin

Member
Joined
25 Dec 2006
Messages
1,006
Some of London's major stations will completely close this christmas for Major engineering works

London Paddington

Closed completely from December 24th to 28th some GWR services will divert to London Marylebone from the 28th to 31st Paddington will reopen with only 50% of the lines available

Southeastern

No trains will serve the following stations between Dec 23rd to Jan 1st

London Bridge, Charing Cross, Waterloo East, Cannon Street

Thameslink

No services through central London from Dec 23rd to Jan 1st

Liverpool Street

No Greater Anglia trains on Dec 23rd, 24th, 27th and Jan 1st - London to Ipswich will take 2hr 17min instead of 1 hr 11min

Gatwick Express

No service Dec 26th 50% service Dec 23rd & 27th to 29th

Heathrow Express/Connect

No service from the evening of Dec 23rd to 29th

South Western Railway

No trains between Southampton Central and Eastleigh from Dec 24th to January 1st and the route to Fareham will close on Dec 30th and 31st services will divert around the area with XC services having around 40 minutes added

WCML

Preston to Lancaster shut on Christmas Eve and December 27th buses will replace trains

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5004861/Worst-Christmas-delays-hit-20m-journeys.html

A quote box can't be used as I haven't got one in my editor to use
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
With the usual comments from the bottom half of the internet.

London Overground out of Liverpool Street 27-29th December have an odd calling pattern. 3 an hour to Chingford are fast to St James Street and 3 an hour to Enfield Town fast to Rectory Road (with an non-public call at Hackney). I'm guessing they will be using the 'fast' lines which avoid the platforms at Bethnal/Cambridge Heath & London Fields.
 

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,475
Location
London
Looking on NRE, there are four suspensions affecting London Overground over the festive period:
  • No service Edmonton Green - Cheshunt from the 27th to the 29th with NO replacement buses. Tickets being accepted on local bus routes (which'll be "fun", as there aren't any that cover the entire route!). Enfield Town and Chingford services are retimed, and Bethnal Green and Clapton aren't being served.
  • No service Highbury & Islington - Dalston Junction from the 23rd to the 31st.
  • No service Camden Road - Stratford from the 23rd to the 29th.
  • No service Romford - Upminster from the 23rd to 1st January.
 

BlueFox

Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
764
Location
Carlisle
A quote box can't be used as I haven't got one in my editor to use

It's there. Press the + icon and a drop down menu with a few options will appear, including quote. Or you could do it the old fashioned way and type the quote tags.
 

gavin

Member
Joined
25 Dec 2006
Messages
1,006
It's there. Press the + icon and a drop down menu with a few options will appear, including quote. Or you could do it the old fashioned way and type the quote tags.

Thanks you'd think it would be much easier to find than having it hidden behind a + button
 

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
10,554
Location
Preston Lancs
With the usual comments from the bottom half of the internet.

I assume you are talking about the negative Daily Mail comments. I wish the editors or writers would inform us when they would like to see the necessary work and maintenance take place.

Or better still commend the workers that are disrupting their xmas (I am sure they would rather spend it with their families) etc etc. Of course if maintenance did not happen and there was an accident with god forbid -fatalities - then they would still get slammed. The Press really p*** me off at times. Worse disruption ever with a bus service Preston -Lancaster - give me a break. I suppose a diesel could be attached at Preston and route via Blackburn, Clitheroe etc
 

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,785
I assume you are talking about the negative Daily Mail comments. I wish the editors or writers would inform us when they would like to see the necessary work and maintenance take place.

Or better still commend the workers that are disrupting their xmas (I am sure they would rather spend it with their families) etc etc. Of course if maintenance did not happen and there was an accident with god forbid -fatalities - then they would still get slammed. The Press really p*** me off at times. Worse disruption ever with a bus service Preston -Lancaster - give me a break. I suppose a diesel could be attached at Preston and route via Blackburn, Clitheroe etc
From everything that I have seen in the press I can only conclude that this country's priorities mean that the railway should do maintanance 9 to 5 Monday to Friday and save a fortune on premium pay rates for overnight and holidays.

:)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
I assume you are talking about the negative Daily Mail comments. I wish the editors or writers would inform us when they would like to see the necessary work and maintenance take place.

Or better still commend the workers that are disrupting their xmas (I am sure they would rather spend it with their families) etc etc. Of course if maintenance did not happen and there was an accident with god forbid -fatalities - then they would still get slammed. The Press really p*** me off at times. Worse disruption ever with a bus service Preston -Lancaster - give me a break. I suppose a diesel could be attached at Preston and route via Blackburn, Clitheroe etc

More about the random Daily Mail comments which don't really relate to the story ("Doesn't affect me as I'm on holiday in such and such a place", "Typical behaviour of those money grabbing private firms, renationalise it now!")

At least the press are informing the public there is issues, no doubt you will get people complete ignoring the stories and moan when they tip up to find a bus
 

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
10,554
Location
Preston Lancs
Kite159 said:
More about the random Daily Mail comments which don't really relate to the story ("Doesn't affect me as I'm on holiday in such and such a place", "Typical behaviour of those money grabbing private firms, renationalise it now!") At least the press are informing the public there is issues, no doubt you will get people complete ignoring the stories and moan when they turn up to find a bus

--- Worse disruption ever with a bus service Preston -Lancaster - give me a break. I suppose a diesel could be attached at Preston and route via Blackburn, Clitheroe etc

I do not want to get OT and get all political and start the nationalize/privatize debate, but what are you suggesting? Are you saying if it was nationalized there would be no buses and what I suggested above would take place? I am trying to understand your mindset. On one hand you are suggesting nationalize - Labour Party policy, then you seem to be supporting the Daily Mail and know Conservative supporting paper. What would you like to see please?

Also if nationalized when would you carry out the work?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
Kite159 said:
More about the random Daily Mail comments which don't really relate to the story ("Doesn't affect me as I'm on holiday in such and such a place", "Typical behaviour of those money grabbing private firms, renationalise it now!") At least the press are informing the public there is issues, no doubt you will get people complete ignoring the stories and moan when they turn up to find a bus



I do not want to get OT and get all political and start the nationalize/privatize debate, but what are you suggesting? Are you saying if it was nationalized there would be no buses and what I suggested above would take place? I am trying to understand your mindset. On one hand you are suggesting nationalize - Labour Party policy, then you seem to be supporting the Daily Mail and know Conservative supporting paper. What would you like to see please?

Also if nationalized when would you carry out the work?

It was a joke reference some of the comments made by those on the daily mail website, with them not realising that the Christmas works is down to the nationalised Network Rail for the benefit of passengers. Some of them wear those rose tinted glasses of BR operations.

Christmas is an ideal time to carry out these works, passenger numbers are less as some businesses pretty much close down in the week between Christmas & New Year so the commuter demand is less. Leisure travellers will moan but it will bring improvements to cope with the increased demands of the network
 
Last edited by a moderator:

class303

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2011
Messages
392
With the usual comments from the bottom half of the internet.

London Overground out of Liverpool Street 27-29th December have an odd calling pattern. 3 an hour to Chingford are fast to St James Street and 3 an hour to Enfield Town fast to Rectory Road (with an non-public call at Hackney). I'm guessing they will be using the 'fast' lines which avoid the platforms at Bethnal/Cambridge Heath & London Fields.

Seems strange for the Chingford's not to call at Hackney Downs or Clapton though? What's the logic?
 

highspeed990

Member
Joined
30 Sep 2017
Messages
281
We'll that's definitely going to affect Christmas travellers. It gets very busy just before and soon after Christmas.
 

Minstral25

Established Member
Joined
10 Sep 2009
Messages
1,967
Location
Surrey
Redhill line will be completely closed on Saturday 23rd December through to Monday 1st January inclusive, so that platform zero can be brought into use. No services on Tonbridge branch, GWR services capped at Reigate. Earlswood, Redhill, Merstham and Coulsdon South Stations closed. Gonna be a quiet Christmas is Redhill.
 

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
10,554
Location
Preston Lancs
One thing scheduled is hooking up the Blackpool line wiring to the WCML at Fylde Junction.
Wow - I thought that would have been later when the whole line and blockade was finished. Surely this would make everything live to ----??? Salwick or - where?
 

Railrover700

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2016
Messages
71
Wow - I thought that would have been later when the whole line and blockade was finished. Surely this would make everything live to ----??? Salwick or - where?
I am assuming there will be a neutral section - maybe somebody can confirm this? It would be a logical time to do the work if that is the case. (I was told of the plan for the work over Christmas by a Network Rail rep yesterday.)
 

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
10,554
Location
Preston Lancs
I totally agree it is the logical time as the blockade will be at least 6 weeks old by then and I also agree a neutral section would be logical but I could swear I read somewhere - possibly this thread , that there was not going to be a neutral section on this line. I could be wrong.
 

Railrover700

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2016
Messages
71
I totally agree it is the logical time as the blockade will be at least 6 weeks old by then and I also agree a neutral section would be logical but I could swear I read somewhere - possibly this thread , that there was not going to be a neutral section on this line. I could be wrong.
See post #4717 back in July on
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/blackpool-manchester-electrification.66879/page-158
I interpreted this as no further neutral sections beyond Fylde junction.
 

snowball

Established Member
Joined
4 Mar 2013
Messages
8,144
Location
Leeds
Sorry if I'm being dense but isn't it the case that everything we know is compatible with the hypothesis that there will be a neutral section immediately after Fylde Junction and then no others the rest of the way to Blackpool. This neutral section needs to be installed, just as the one on the Chorley side of Euxton Junction has been.
 

The Planner

Veteran Member
Joined
15 Apr 2008
Messages
19,728
No, phase 6 (Proof House to Hampton in Arden and the Stechford line) follows late May bank holiday, phase 7 which is the station is a good while away.
 

Railrover700

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2016
Messages
71
Sorry if I'm being dense but isn't it the case that everything we know is compatible with the hypothesis that there will be a neutral section immediately after Fylde Junction and then no others the rest of the way to Blackpool. This neutral section needs to be installed, just as the one on the Chorley side of Euxton Junction has been.
Absolutely. This was what I meant in my original comment about the wiring being hooked up, apologies if that was not clear.
 

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
10,554
Location
Preston Lancs
I am sorry if I misinterpreted I know about the equipment at Fylde Jct having photographed it many times, so I suppose Preston - Blackpool can be electrically isolated from there and no neutral section as such
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top