delt1c
Established Member
- Joined
- 4 Apr 2008
- Messages
- 2,182
just had a thought and for all the negatives thrown at them the 156 must surely be the longest serving motive power on the WHL.
just had a thought and for all the negatives thrown at them the 156 must surely be the longest serving motive power on the WHL.
On the West Highland line?I would imagine that lines which had stock specifically used due to a severe loading gauge or weight limit would be likely candidates- e.g Hayling Island
I would guess the original cable hauled Glasgow subway stock that ran from opening up until the 70's modernisation will be right up there.
I'm sure it was electric when I went about 20 - correction, 40 - years ago just before the old wooden stock was withdrawn - Wikipedia saysI would guess the original cable hauled Glasgow subway stock that ran from opening up until the 70's modernisation will be right up there.
in 1935, the existing trains were converted to electric power delivered by a third rail
Black5s?
I know it was converted to electric it just used the original cable hauled stock.I'm sure it was electric when I went about 20 - correction, 40 - years ago just before the old wooden stock was withdrawn - Wikipedia says
OK, but "Longest-serving motive power?"I know it was converted to electric it just used the original cable hauled stock.
And which bit of "ON THE WEST HIGHLAND LINE" are people struggling with?OK, but "Longest-serving motive power?"
so I just accepted that the Jacobite is running on the WHL using black 5s. Maybe it's not on the WHL.The Mallaig Extension of the West Highland Railway ... Regular steam services over the West Highland Line were withdrawn in 1967,...In 1984, British Rail re-introduced a steam-hauled service over part of the line, in an effort to encourage tourism and boost income on the heavily subsidised line. Called the "West Highlander" ... In 1995 following the privatisation of British Rail, the operating licence for the West Highlander trains was granted to the West Coast Railway Company, and they began operating the service that summer under the new name of "The Jacobite"
I think the Glens too.Not on the WH I would have thought, because 29 years would take it back pre WW2. Crianlarich-Oban conceivably, though its not technically the West Highland. I am no expert on Scotland, but wouldn't the Glens have had a longer run?
Not on the WH I would have thought, because 29 years would take it back pre WW2. Crianlarich-Oban conceivably, though its not technically the West Highland. I am no expert on Scotland, but wouldn't the Glens have had a longer run?
A Glen or K3 pulling some beautiful and comfortable compartment teak stock, probably with a restaurant car, down to a class 156.
A fine illustration of how far this country has fallen......
A Glen or K3 pulling some beautiful and comfortable compartment teak stock, probably with a restaurant car, down to a class 156.
A fine illustration of how far this country has fallen......
If you mean Black 5's, yes they are, and TBH I hadn't realised just how long the service had been running (over 30 years) - but in terms of continuous service and in any case the Glens win.I thought they were still the workhorses for the Jacobite on the line...
If the black 5s were in use before the end of steam and have been in use for 30 years since their return, then they are likely to become the longest serving motive power at some time in the not too distant future...If you mean Black 5's, yes they are, and TBH I hadn't realised just how long the service had been running (over 30 years) - but in terms of continuous service and in any case the Glens win.
No, it shows how far engineering and ethics have come.
Whilst you are yearning for the days when colonial slaves slaughtered Orangutans and hacked down great forests across indonesia for their white masters in their quest for hardwood to build railway coaches - many normal people now find those activities abhorent.
If the engineers, back in the early 20th century, were capable fo building powerful diesel or petrol engines that could be slung under rail coaches that would meet the performance of a steam train - they wouldn't have bothered with steam trains.
But the Oban portion of the 8.21 ex QS, leaving Crianlarich in summer with 100 standing PAX plus their backpacks and bikes takes some beating...Anyone who complains about either should try getting on a 313 on the NCL in morning peak![]()
Oh for goodness sake. I don't think anyone is yearning for the days of colonial slavery, the slaughter of Orangutans or the hacking-down of the great teak forests of Indonesia. Is it wrong to cast one's mind back to the days when one could travel a reasonably long distance in comfort? There's no reason why we should not enjoy the same levels of comfort these days in this, the 21st century.No, it shows how far engineering and ethics have come.
Whilst you are yearning for the days when colonial slaves slaughtered Orangutans and hacked down great forests across indonesia for their white masters in their quest for hardwood to build railway coaches - many normal people now find those activities abhorent.
If the engineers, back in the early 20th century, were capable fo building powerful diesel or petrol engines that could be slung under rail coaches that would meet the performance of a steam train - they wouldn't have bothered with steam trains.

They ought to bring back the Oban Mexican Bean... that'll stop any silly arguments!Oh for goodness sake. I don't think anyone is yearning for the days of colonial slavery, the slaughter of Orangutans or the hacking-down of the great teak forests of Indonesia. Is it wrong to cast one's mind back to the days when one could travel a reasonably long distance in comfort? There's no reason why we should not enjoy the same levels of comfort these days in this, the 21st century.
May I have a wee toke on whatever it is you happen to be smoking?![]()